bsfloyd
06-12-2018, 03:06 AM
I figure this might interest some folks here. It interested me:

https://www.cordobaguitars.com/mini-ii-series/

DownUpDave
06-12-2018, 07:01 AM
I figure this might interest some folks here. It interested me:

https://www.cordobaguitars.com/mini-ii-series/

Thank you for the heads up on this.....I had no idea, but I love the concept.

Thank you also for adding to a raging case a GAS now. (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) for those unaware.

kvehe
06-12-2018, 07:03 AM
Yes, thank you very much. My local shop is looking into it now...

DownUpDave
06-12-2018, 07:29 AM
Yes, thank you very much. My local shop is looking into it now...

Damn you're fast Kathryn. Even faster then Brenda:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Steedy
06-12-2018, 08:40 AM
That does look very innarestin' especially the version with a solid spruce top and a pickup. :cool:

DownUpDave
06-12-2018, 09:33 AM
That does look very innarestin' especially the version with a solid spruce top and a pickup. :cool:

That's the one I want, the solid spruce top is a big plus!!!. I can't understand why they don't offer the mahogany with a solid top as well. It would be worth an extra cost for the potential of better sound. Leave the flamed mahogany as all laminate for a lower price point. Oh well, these are just being introduced and I am already whining and bitching:rofl:

Booli
06-12-2018, 09:46 AM
I have the first version of the Mini. I like it a lot.

I keep mine in Terz tuning.

E-tuning is nice, but I required a 2" or 51mm nut, so not sure about the nut width on this one.

Tie-bridge is an improvement, and back to standard from the pin-bridge.

I'm not in a hurry to 'upgrade' or replace mine, and have other guitars as well.

I'll be following this one for sure.

@bsfloyd - thanks for bringing this one to our attention and sharing the link on UU. :)

Jim Hanks
06-12-2018, 11:15 AM
I have the Mini and I would consider the narrow neck and tie bridge of the Mini II as improvements- but a big "no thanks" on the longer scale. I guess I'd have to special order to get everything I want. Oh wait.... :p

river_driver
06-12-2018, 12:58 PM
These appear to have all the same measurements as the Minis they produced to tie in with the Pixar movie Coco. I played one of those in all mahogany and rather liked it, but the laser engravings put me off a bit.

https://www.cordobaguitars.com/guitars/coco-mini-mh/

Might have to break open the piggy bank.

bsfloyd
06-12-2018, 11:41 PM
I'm glad I can contribute to other's GAS problems - I've suffered from it for over 30 years now!!!

Yes, I have always been intrigued by the Cordoba / Disney Pixar Coco Mini as well. The graphics are a sure throw off to me too, but kids and upcoming grandkids will surely give me an excuse to get one :)

bsfloyd
06-13-2018, 12:07 AM
I'm also curious on what pricing will be. Perhaps the new Mini II series will be replacing the Coco line? I can't imagine Cordoba would keep the Coco instruments in production too long.

DownUpDave
06-13-2018, 01:36 AM
I'm also curious on what pricing will be. Perhaps the new Mini II series will be replacing the Coco line? I can't imagine Cordoba would keep the Coco instruments in production too long.

I dont know what the price is but I contacted Andrew from HMS and asked if he could get me the spruce top EB-CE. He responded immediately and said he would investigate. Then responded very shortly after that to let me know Cordoba is debutting these at Summer NAMM. He said he can have one in about 3 weeks time, mine is now on order.

river_driver
06-13-2018, 03:03 AM
This article lists pricing (USD):

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/27328-córdoba-guitars-releases-the-mini-ii

bsfloyd
06-13-2018, 03:32 AM
Congrats on the pre-order, Dave!! Looking forward to that review...

Great find on the pricing, RD! Very affordable...

kvehe
06-14-2018, 05:15 AM
My local shop is ordering the MH model for me, so I should have it very soon after they become available.

bsfloyd
06-14-2018, 12:11 PM
Congrats, Kathryn!! Looking forward to your review!

Booli
06-14-2018, 09:24 PM
This article lists pricing (USD):

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/27328-córdoba-guitars-releases-the-mini-ii

With MSRP @ $129 for the MH, I tend to agree with the thought that they might cease production of the Coco model, as IIRC that was the same price for the Coco that I saw sold on Guitar Center's web site...

So if the Coco model's graphics were a deterrent, then this one should help to overcome that.

I was going to get a Coco model as a beater, and as such, strip the hardware and strings off, and tape off the back, sides, neck and fretboard, and literally just hit it with a light coat or two of some flat black spray paint on the top and the headstock (after sanding of course).

Now I wont have to turn it into a big project.

However, with the narrower nut on the Mini II model, I'd replace the nut and modify the saddle for just 4 strings, and string it and tune it in fifths GDAE like a nylon string octave mandolin or nylon string tenor guitar.

I've already converted a $99 steel string 23" scale acoustic to a 4-string tenor guitar, as well as several of my ukes are also tuned in fifths...so the conversion is actually pretty simple for me.

Poor-man's Pono NUI :)

bnolsen
06-24-2018, 09:29 AM
The narrower nut pretty much makes this just another run of the mill mini guitar. The wider nut makes the original mini almost tolerable. The price point and (hopefully) quality should make this a definite yamaha mini killer.

Jim Hanks
06-24-2018, 04:06 PM
The narrower nut pretty much makes this just another run of the mill mini guitar. The wider nut makes the original mini almost tolerable. The price point and (hopefully) quality should make this a definite yamaha mini killer.
First, what is this "yamaha mini" you speak of?

As far as the nut, different strokes I guess. I have the 2" Mini and 1-3/4" C1M and I personally prefer the neck of the C1M

Mivo
06-24-2018, 04:34 PM
The narrower nut pretty much makes this just another run of the mill mini guitar.

48mm (1 7/8") is still pretty uncommon for a guitar, though. The Taylor Mini has a 42.8mm (1 1/16") nut, which for me is very hard to play. My parlor guitar has a 45mm (1 3/4") nut, which is almost too narrow. So 48mm sounds pretty good to me, likely perfect even.

Jim Hanks
06-24-2018, 05:08 PM
48mm (1 7/8") is still pretty uncommon for a guitar, though.
Except in the "crossover" market, which is marketing-speak to entice steel string acoustic players to try nylon. 48mm is pretty much the standard there. After trying the two I mentioned, I think in the middle would be even better and there are some guileles with 46mm. But it's kinda splitting hairs at that point.

Mivo
06-24-2018, 06:07 PM
Except in the "crossover" market, which is marketing-speak to entice steel string acoustic players to try nylon. 48mm is pretty much the standard there. After trying the two I mentioned, I think in the middle would be even better and there are some guileles with 46mm. But it's kinda splitting hairs at that point.

I didn't know 48mm was the standard for crossover guitars, but this is useful to know. Dave recently mentioned a crossover guitar, too, and 48mm does seem a good width for me. Definitely something to look into, some day... not now, not now. (Don't mind me. ;))

Lakewood use 46mm nuts on their steel string guitars. I looked into those since are built in Germany, but reason won for a change.

Rakelele
06-24-2018, 09:28 PM
48mm is my preferred nut width for a short scale crossover guitar. But in addition to that, I'd also prefer a radius fretboard.

DownUpDave
06-25-2018, 01:22 AM
Yea the 1-7/8" neck on my Cordoba C10 crossover is a comfortable width for me. This new Mini ll with the larger body, longer scale length and 1-7/8"nut width compared to the original Mini was the tipping point for me to order one. Rainer I agree with you about the radius, I REALLY wish it had that but at this price point I will give it a shot.

SoloRule
06-25-2018, 01:52 AM
Yea the 1-7/8" neck on my Cordoba C10 crossover is a comfortable width for me. This new Mini ll with the larger body, longer scale length and 1-7/8"nut width compared to the original Mini was the tipping point for me to order one. Rainer I agree with you about the radius, I REALLY wish it had that but at this price point I will give it a shot.

No worries
If you don’t want it. I will buy it from you . I just need my left arm to grow longer. Am working on that.

DownUpDave
06-25-2018, 02:28 AM
No worries
If you don’t want it. I will buy it from you . I just need my left arm to grow longer. Am working on that.

You and Simon are the biggest poachers. Always let me buy first and take the risk.......then you guys try to buy it from me when it is wonderful

Jim Hanks
06-25-2018, 06:35 AM
You and Simon are the biggest poachers. Always let me buy first and take the risk.......then you guys try to buy it from me when it is wonderful

As long as you keep enabling them, why should they change? :biglaugh:

DownUpDave
06-25-2018, 07:13 AM
As long as you keep enabling them, why should they change? :biglaugh:

We are all one big uke-crazy family so it's all good.

SoloRule
06-25-2018, 07:33 AM
We are all one big uke-crazy family so it's all good.

Please add Tim and Robin to the mix. Our instruments are like musical chairs!

bnolsen
06-30-2018, 07:09 AM
First, what is this "yamaha mini" you speak of?

As far as the nut, different strokes I guess. I have the 2" Mini and 1-3/4" C1M and I personally prefer the neck of the C1M

Now that I remember, the yamaha gl1.
For full sized guitars 52mm is pretty standard. I wish my original mini was 52mm but I don't think anyone does non full sized with that width. And I still pretty prefer my baritone still.

Jim Hanks
06-30-2018, 08:50 AM
Now that I remember, the yamaha gl1.
Ah, the GL1. Well, I don't see this being a GL1 killer considering it will be two or three times the price. I've played one or two GL1s that really weren't bad and almost (almost) left the Guitar Center with me. :p

kvehe
09-07-2018, 01:52 AM
I picked up my Mini II MH late yesterday afternoon. Initial impression: I prefer my Mini R, which is tuned E-E with the special Mini Aquila strings, but maybe that's just me. The Mini R seems warmer, but the Mini II may have greater sustain - I plan on doing more comparisons over the weekend, both to each other and to a few other short-scale travel-type guitars that I have. I'm especially interested in the comparison to the Cordoba Requinto (which is not a requinto, as you may know - it's billed as a 1/2-size classical, but is actually larger than that), since both have a 580 mm scale and both came with the same strings.

I pre-ordered it in mid-June through a local shop. They went over it before calling to tell me it had arrived, and said it needed minimal work in the way of setup. The fret ends were a bit sharp, but they took care of that.

Does anyone else have one yet? What are your impressions?

bsfloyd
09-07-2018, 03:16 AM
Thanks for the review, Kathryn! Looking forward to reading your future findings...

twokatmew
09-07-2018, 05:23 AM
I was at Elderly the other day and played a Cordoba Mini SM, as they didn't have the Mini II in stock. I came home with a Romero Pepe SR signature model (https://www.elderly.com/romero-creations-pepe-romero-sr-signature-model-6-string-spruce-and-mahogany-with-soft-case.htm). I find the longer 24.75" (~629mm) scale length to be more comfortable ... and I have a much greater choice in strings without having to frankenstein my own set, as any hard tension classical guitar strings should be fine. I do quite like the stock strings though.

DownUpDave
09-08-2018, 05:18 AM
I was at Elderly the other day and played a Cordoba Mini SM, as they didn't have the Mini II in stock. I came home with a Romero Pepe SR signature model (https://www.elderly.com/romero-creations-pepe-romero-sr-signature-model-6-string-spruce-and-mahogany-with-soft-case.htm). I find the longer 24.75" (~629mm) scale length to be more comfortable ... and I have a much greater choice in strings without having to frankenstein my own set, as any hard tension classical guitar strings should be fine. I do quite like the stock strings though.

Great choice I really like this instrument, congratulations. Please give us a bit of a review once you have spent some time with it.

twokatmew
09-08-2018, 10:00 AM
Great choice I really like this instrument, congratulations. Please give us a bit of a review once you have spent some time with it.

Thanks Dave, will do! :)