Bowled over by a laminated back Cordoba tenor

Swamp Yankee

Reaction score
I dropped my wife off at the naturopathic doctor yesterday and peeked into the nearest GC while she was at her appointment.

I saw a Cordoba 24T hanging and, of course, I had to try it out.
Really nice uke! Big voice with plenty of warmth coming from a moderately sized and feather light tenor that's really good looking as well. Gorgeous spalted maple laminated back and sides, padauk binding back sides with back and white purfling tastefully added - padauk binding on the neck, solid cedar top. Very nice carve on the neck...very playable. The back is arched in both dimensions and it tucks very nicely into playing position under my right arm.

And the set up right out of the box was so nice and low...perfect for me. Needless to say, after picking up my wife - I dragged her back so's I could try to persuade her that I needed yet another uke....she went right along with it and let me get it. :eek:

I suppose it helped that she'd just shelled out a few hundred $$$ on herbal preparations in the form of various tinctures and essential whatchamacallits, and it also helped that the uke itself was less than $200 new..

So now I have a sweet little lam back tenor that I like a whole lot more than the solid mahogany Kanile'a Islander tenor I picked up earlier this month off of Ebay....

I absolutely love a cedar topped uke - I have a solid cedar top, lam back and sides concert that's exactly the same. Great find!

Thanks Jim - I'm seriously considering finding a matching concert uke to replace my old beater - this is a sweet uke! At that kind of price, having two might be nice ;)

I say go for it - mine doesn't sound far off my Pono spruce topped tenor which cost four times as much. It amazes me every time I pick it up. And sort of frustrates me - I've held off buying really nice ukes before because I don't think they'll offer anything more than my cheapo cedar concert.

It's a real value - mine needs an few minutes of work to dress the fret ends but other than that, it's fantastic! It would already be done if I could find my blue masking tape :/

I actually played one at a music store recently, they do sound quite nice. I am not a huge spalted wood fan but i may have to get over it as these are sooo beautiful! The Paduk, Walnut and Cedar go so well together. I also played the Baritone model, it was nice sounding also!
They both felt fabulous in my hands. Enloy!!!:music:

Cheers,

Steve.

They certainly do have a nice thin matte finish that makes me want to hold them... the neck is super sweet too, very playable and fast. And for a tenor it's so light! It weighs 16.9 ounces.... which is a scant 3.2 ounces more than my Mainland solid hog soprano.

Top Bottom