What does Ohana All Solid Quilted Eucalyptus Concert sound LIke

CYN

Reaction score
Anyone Played the Ohana all solid quilted eucalyptus concert uke? Was wondering what the wood would sound like, bright or a combination of bright and warm? Good harmonics and sustain? I watched a couple you tube videos on it but would like to hear someone describe the sound that has played it more. It is surely beautiful to look at.

There are 100s of species of Eucalyptus. Find out which one Ohana is using and someone might be able to help.
Another example of an East Asian ukulele maker trying to get away with confusing details about the wood. Some Eucalyptus trees are in old growth forests which are allowed to be harvested by shady political arrangements. Some is grown in sustainable plantations. By not naming the exact species, Ohana is avoiding the environmental issues. UU does not allow political statements so I will not go any further. Also by not naming the species, Ohana is setting up to be able to change the species without informing the market.
Personally I would avoid all contact with this ukulele until we see full disclosure.

I was thinking something along those lines. The light colour of the wood makes me think it might be Eucalyptus Obliqua (Messmate). I am surrounded by them where I live, and I'm currently burning the wood to keep warm. However, it could be any of hundreds of species obtained from practically anywhere. My only guide to sound is the video that Camsuke provided the link to.

I was thinking something along those lines. The light colour of the wood makes me think it might be Eucalyptus Obliqua (Messmate). I am surrounded by them where I live, and I'm currently burning the wood to keep warm. However, it could be any of hundreds of species obtained from practically anywhere. My only guide to sound is the video that Camsuke provided the link to.

Here is a link talking very briefly about the tonal properties of eucalyptus regnans, which is very similar to eucalyptus obliqua. So similar in fact that my floorboards include both. https://tasmaniantonewoods.com/feature/tasmanian-mountain-ash/

Koalas eat the leaves not the wood. If we know what species of Eucalypt the wood comes from we can make sure it is not from the areas where shady legal tree harvesting is destroying Koala habitat. This is a serious area of concern in Australia.

And Koalas only eat the leaves of about 30 of the many hundreds of species of eucalyptus, so even if the uke was made out of 100% leaves, the chances are the Koalas wouldn't touch it.

Top Bottom