off to my annual Kayak trip

Hobgoblin Steve

Reaction score
So in a few months (2), ill be headed down(up?) to CT, to visit my gf's mom and sister, and we usually go kayaking, maybe 10 miles round trip. This year I was thinking about taking a uke with me, seeing as we usually chillout for an hour or so floating. (this is my way of saying my gfs a weakling, and cant keep going) Normally in the floating stage of our trip, I take a nap or go close to shore looking for shells. So this year im seriously considering taking my uke. I say considering because im not so sure how I feel about taking a wood instrument with electronics anywhere near water. The answer to my problem is a Fluke. UAS will probably strike again close to the time ill be leaving for CT. SO, a few questions regarding the instrument and how ill be going ahead with this;
Id be planning on getting the plastic fretboard, Tenor sized (as you can see in my marketplace thread) but has anyone taken a Fluke or Flea kayaking or rafting or anything real close to water?
How did it go? did it get in the way alot?
What happens if it gets wet?
What happens if I (seriously) drop it in the water?
The bag it comes with, can I sling it over my shoulder like a quiver?

that covers the water questions,
on to the more important ones;
What color to get? :D
I like the Island etched, Moonlight, Mango, Natural and Macadamia
Theyre all so purty :/

(also, for those that have a tenor sized they want to get rid of, head over to the marketplace)

oh, I forgot the most important question!
What songs to play while im out on ol' big blue? (looking for those smooth classic tunes, Beach boys works- Sloop John B, Kokomo)

eh the one with the electronics is a laminate, but Im just afraid I may ruin it completely and I dont want that to happen. Also something about Fluke's calls to me lately.

All depends upon what sort of kayaking you're doing. Let that be the determinant of what you bring and how you prepare. I've sat along a relatively calm river and watched kayak after kayak after canoe get dunked by a riffle with a sweeper hanging over it. Know your water. Personally, I wouldn't take any uke into a kayak that I would cry over should it get wet. Still, you can limit your exposure with one of the silnylon dry bags they sell at outdoor stores for about $20. Just open it when you feel comfortable. It's either that or buy an old Macaferri plastic uke, or my secret: buy $10 swap meet ukes and rehab them. I take 'em everywhere, and if they get trashed, no biggie.

The water we go out in is pretty calm, its a lake that goes out into the atlantic. Even in the atlantic its pretty calm. Ive gotten things wet in my boat before, but usually it all stays pretty dry. My shirt is also never crazy wet.

I have a cheapo hilo soprano that I was considering bringing, but since I was planning on getting a fluke, wanted to know if it was safe to bring it out.

My cheapo Lanikai got flooded when a skylight in my house leaked recently.

I literally had to pour water out of it.

Still (seems) fine to me. and if it wasn't... <$100

I take my flea kayaking. I just stick it in it's gig bag. One day I'll buy a dry bag big enough for it. I've been lucky so far not to get it wet.

but what if you DID get it wet? would it be ruined?

edit: to Concert Fluke owners, how does a concert fluke match up with a tenor uke that isnt a fluke? I hear they run a little bigger.

Last edited:
I would imagine that a flea or a fluke could take getting wet, but I wouldn't want to soak it.

I've had a tenor fluke, a soprano flea and a concert flea. I like the concert (tiki w/ rosewood fret board) best, but the soprano flea wasn't bad. I didn't care much for the fluke. It's the shape that bugged me.

I think a soprano flea is a good choice for your purposes.

Top Bottom