Flying with my uke

Wee Davy

Reaction score
For the last few years I've taken a soprano uke on holiday. The rules in the UK aren't the same as in the US so there is no statutory right to carry on a small instrument onboard.
Previously I've put the uke in my carry on bag without problem. This year I'll be taking my tenor which exceeds the length allowed on Thomas Cook Airlines.
Question : What should I do, try the same approach even though it might get refused or invest in a flight case? Even in a hard case I don't give it much chance of surviving a 5 hour flight.

It's only a cheap instrument so if I buy a case it'll be worth more than what's inside it!

Thoughts?

I've done that before, now I really want to take my tenor. Any other suggestion?

Google Southern Ukulele Store. Search tenor cases, find the Kinsman KUT14 wooden hardcase. It is only 36.66 pounds. Problem solved, seriously, buy it put your tenor in it and if it gets shipped it should be ok.

What sort of luggage do you check in to be carried in the hold? Luggage with handles that fold into the case have a fairly strong backbone and a uke does not take up much volume, you just pack staff around it and in the body if necessary. Many modern cases have hard exteriors. Then you check it and go and enjoy a beverage before the flight.

That sounds like a good bet.

What sort of luggage do you check in to be carried in the hold? Luggage with handles that fold into the case have a fairly strong backbone and a uke does not take up much volume, you just pack staff around it and in the body if necessary. Many modern cases have hard exteriors. Then you check it and go and enjoy a beverage before the flight.

I always pack my uke in my checked lugage, but I have a pretty large suitcase and my concert just fits crosswise. I'm just wondering how big of a suitcase one would need to pack a tenor?

Purchase a ticket for the seat next to you for the ukulele.

Top Bottom