PDA

View Full Version : Gotoh on Firefly

Jerryc41
06-20-2018, 03:02 AM
I received my Firefly from Pennylane Emporium yesterday, and I put Gotoh tuners on it. Huge difference in tuning! I used a generic reamer from Amazon, and that maple was hard to cut.

I posted a NUD about a Firefly a couple of weeks ago, but that one went to a friend, and I ordered this one. The first Firefly had white tuning buttons, while this one had black. I put regular geared Grovers on a Fluke a while ago, but I thought I'd like Gotohs on this one. I love the sound of the Firefly.

The first two pictures show the original tuners.

109890 109891 109892 109893

RichM
06-20-2018, 04:30 AM
Maple is freakin' hard! I once tried building a mandolin (fail) and I tried to cut the maple headstock profile with a coping saw. It didn't cope too well-- about 10 ruined blades later, I decided sanding it smooth would do just fine.

besley
06-20-2018, 05:02 AM
I received my Firefly from Pennylane Emporium yesterday, and I put Gotoh tuners on it. Huge difference in tuning! I used a generic reamer from Amazon, and that maple was hard to cut.

I posted a NUD about a Firefly a couple of weeks ago, but that one went to a friend, and I ordered this one. The first Firefly had white tuning buttons, while this one had black. I put regular geared Grovers on a Fluke a while ago, but I thought I'd like Gotohs on this one. I love the sound of the Firefly.

The first two pictures show the original tuners.

109890 109891 109892 109893

Are those the regular or the long version? I ordered my Tenor Firefly a year ago with the upgrade to Peghed tuners, and am not impressed - wish I'd gone this route instead.

Jerryc41
06-20-2018, 07:08 AM
Are those the regular or the long version? I ordered my Tenor Firefly a year ago with the upgrade to Peghed tuners, and am not impressed - wish I'd gone this route instead.

Long. That's all I've ever used.