PDA

View Full Version : Martin Konter Uke

SamUke
06-20-2018, 02:01 PM
I noticed Martin released 1K Konter replica uke on their site. Amazing, maybe not for the price but itís cool.

Strumdaddy
06-20-2018, 02:16 PM
"He took Favilla brand ukuleles on the Antarctic Expeditions, but did not succeed in getting any of them flown over the South Pole. A signed instrument was given to the Favilla Company for their museum" -
from Wikipedia.

What a guy, I'll bet he was the life of the party. Interested to know what happened to the Favilla signed uke.
I wouldn't go for a facsimile Martin, but if someone in a dark alley offered me the original.... (I'd return it, of course!!)

Choirguy
06-20-2018, 02:38 PM
Here’s the video:
https://youtu.be/P7LNHN7jwCg

Choirguy
06-20-2018, 03:43 PM
One more video about the Konter Ukulele...the speaker mentions that Martin had already produced three replicas at that time (2017). It was also scanned a number of ways by the Smithsonian. Someone must have said...”Couldn’t we just laser engrave these on a ukulele and sell them that way?” Someone else must have said, “Let’s do it on Koa, throw in a case, and charge $2500 for it.”

Was the original Koa or Mahogany?

https://youtu.be/hcEGxO6-T0o

ukulelekarcsi
06-21-2018, 07:55 AM
The original was an early 1920s 1K, so koa. He first tried to get an endorsement deal with Martin, and in 1952 traded it in for a Martin guitar.

Sharpshin
06-21-2018, 02:00 PM
At least Martin USA is making a Koa Soprano. Yay! I hope they sell a lot of them. I loved the story about that ukulele in Ukulele magazine a while back. I am (mostly, and hope I stay that way!) a $500 or less ukulele/guitar player, so not the target market but I am so glad to see them adding to their soprano offerings! That is hopeful! I look at all the wonderful sale offers on this board and lust...then remember that a cool and expensive uke will not make me sound better and that i am fortunate to some wonderful uses...and it is ok to dream about the someday soon Baritone...Ha!