PDA

View Full Version : is this a decent ukulele?

austin1
05-13-2009, 07:20 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm a total ukulele beginner with practically no musical experience (I played violin for seven years when I was a kid, and remember nothing, and all that's left of my piano days is Hey Jude), but I'm looking to get into the ukulele world. I've done my research and am looking for a concert-sized ukulele, preferably under $100. I think I want a concert because of the slight size difference over the soprano, but I think a tenor would be completely wasted on me, seeing as I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

Anyway, I found this lanikai concert ukulele on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/LANIKAL-Concert-Ukulele-Geared-Tuners-Uke-New_W0QQitemZ120414005164QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item1c093be7ac&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1 |293%3A1|294%3A50) and it seems cool, but but I'm a little bit wary of the price--it's only 37 dollars, and they usually seem to go for anything from 75-100 dollars. Is this a complete scam, or is it the real deal (and if so, is it worth getting?)

This is the other one I was looking at (https://www.moellermusiconline.com/p-9503-uke-makala-concert.aspx), but my poverty-stricken college student mind is liking the price on the other one.

Thanks very much!

HoldinCoffee
05-13-2009, 07:51 PM
For starters, the vendor has misspelled LANIKAI several times throughout the listing and the photo doesn't match the description (the description lists 18 frets and unless 6 of them are invisible, the uke in the photo only has 12). So I'm not really sure what to tell you other than RUN, QUICKLY!!

Oh and the Makala is definitely a keeper, but buy here: http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKALA-CONCERT-UKULELE-MGM-SETUP-W-AQUILAS-see-video_W0QQitemZ330329267188QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item4ce9289bf4&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

haole
05-13-2009, 07:55 PM
The Lanikai is decent enough, but I dunno about the seller.

The Makala is nice too; however, I'd buy it from MGM because he includes a professional set-up and better strings:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKALA-CONCERT-UKULELE-MGM-SETUP-W-AQUILAS-see-video_W0QQitemZ330329267188QQihZ014QQcategoryZ1622 4QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

ThePunkWay
05-13-2009, 08:17 PM
i don't know if it's the real deal, but it looks good to me.... i'd pay with paypal to minimize risk..... i mean, a lanikai isn't exactly a high quality instrument, but if you're looking to get something to learn on, it'll probably suit you... that's what i did, i picked up a Oscar Schmidt OU2 off of amazon for like 65, learned enough to decide that i really wanted to get into the Uke world, and now tomorrow I'm picking up my first really nice Uke, a KoAloha Concert (i know, i keep mentioning it..... i'm exited... :)

Lanikai's are kinda the Uke that everybody has down here on Oahu, if you see a high school kid taking his uke with him everywhere, chances are it's either a Kala or a Lanikai... they sound pretty good to me, like i said, good beginner instrument... not a real deep or warm sound, but good enough to learn on

ThePunkWay
05-13-2009, 10:09 PM
oh, see now i feel foolish... instead of looking at the actual sale, i just reviewed the instrument that i thought it was.....

good thing we have people like holdincoffee who look at the details... :)

ichadwick
05-14-2009, 01:10 AM
i mean, a lanikai isn't exactly a high quality instrument, but if you're looking to get something to learn on, it'll probably suit you...
Lanikai makes a fine instrument. Like many other manufacturers, they make a range of product from laminates to solid woods. Lanikai sits in the same price range and quality zone as Kala, Ohana and a few others.

While I personally prefer Kala, I have a very nice Lanikai 8-string that is well-built and sounds lovely. So don't simply shrug it off.

Another uke to consider: Mainland. Since I've had mine, it has become one of my favourites for its volume, great sustain and crisp sound.

ThePunkWay
05-14-2009, 01:33 AM
Lanikai makes a fine instrument. Like many other manufacturers, they make a range of product from laminates to solid woods. Lanikai sits in the same price range and quality zone as Kala, Ohana and a few others.

While I personally prefer Kala, I have a very nice Lanikai 8-string that is well-built and sounds lovely. So don't simply shrug it off.

Another uke to consider: Mainland. Since I've had mine, it has become one of my favourites for its volume, great sustain and crisp sound.

i wasn't "shrugging it off" i never said Lanikais were no good, its just that they're not in the higher end category. they're a great instrument and it seems that's what everybody has, which is a testament to their durability and playability. heck, i learned on a little beater Oscar Schmidt.... and i still am! wish i'd have bought a Lanikai instead of that... i might have somehting that sounds more like a traditional Uke and less like a plucky banjo.. but i didn't have the money for it... :(

(and i actually did mention that they sat in about the same market as kala.. in a roundabout sort of way)

HoldinCoffee
05-14-2009, 04:46 AM

Dude, look at the photo... its a soprano listed as a concert!

UkuEroll
05-14-2009, 07:32 AM
I have a Lanikai C-CK and for the money I find it a very good instrument, But that one does look a bit cheap, Email the seller and ask lots of questions.

josuegroundhog
05-14-2009, 07:40 AM
Dude, look at the photo... its a soprano listed as a concert!

Not only that... It is a Kohala in the picture and not even a Lanikai.

Wrong pictures with misspelled words. I'd be pretty wary of this seller except the feedback is good. This may just be a bad listing??

I got a concert Lanikai from musician'sfriend.com and have been very very pleased with it.
I also got a soprano Lanikai with geared tuners for my daughter. I like it but I think upgrading away from geared tuners is worth a few bucks.

I also bought a Kala from MGM (musicguymic) on ebay and was very happy with that one also.

uke4all
05-14-2009, 08:18 AM
I had a Makala Concert as my first "real" uke. It is great for the price and I did buy from MusicGuyMic on ebay. Great deal!

Ahnko Honu
05-14-2009, 08:45 AM
This seller with over 30,000 transactions still has a rating of 99.6% which isn't bad at all so I don't suspect he's a rip-off artist. Email him about the discrepancies in the ad and I'm sure he'll give you a legitimate answer. Probably with the volume he sells ha has stock photos he uses and probably an underling posts these without a thorough edit. Ask questions before buying. ;)

austin1
05-14-2009, 10:09 AM
okay, so I emailed the seller and he said it was a typo, that there are only 12 frets, which would make it...not a concert ukulele. so, I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy from musicguymic. Thanks all for your input!

Harold O.
05-14-2009, 11:29 AM
okay, so I emailed the seller and he said it was a typo, that there are only 12 frets, which would make it...not a concert ukulele. so, I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy from musicguymic. Thanks all for your input!

Ya gotta love this!

Austin1 asks for advice.

UU feeds the thread.

Austin1 follows advice.

:cool:

austin1
05-14-2009, 05:05 PM
oh no, did I do something wrong?

I have another question too, if that's okay. Is this http://www.ceciliasmusic.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MK-C, the same ukulele as this: http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKALA-CONCERT-UKULELE-MGM-SETUP-W-AQUILAS-see-video_W0QQitemZ330329267188QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item4ce9289bf4&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50.

And if so, is the difference in strings worth the almost 20 dollar difference in price+shipping? I know I'm cheap, but I could totally use that 20 dollars for gas :) although maybe not so much now that gas has gone back up over 2 dollars here in jersey

Thanks very much!

HoldinCoffee
05-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Ceceilia's music... is that in Australia? I'd ask for a shipping quote just to be sure. In the end it might be cheaper.

austin1
05-14-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm not sure, but for whatever reason, it says shipping is free

HoldinCoffee
05-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Sweet! If you decide to switch the strings it'll only cost you about $7 or $8 so it looks like a good deal!

austin1
05-14-2009, 05:54 PM
just kidding, it lied--and the difference only winds up being ten dollars, soooo, I'm just going to go with musicguymic. pretend I was never indecisive!

Thanks all!