Tom Guy cigar box in progress

cpatch

Reaction score
Here are the first shots of my Tom Guy cigar box uke, taken just days before Tom jetted off to Bonaire for 18 days for vacation. Talk about a tease! Anyway, the box is redwood and will have koa binding. No rosette because it lets Tom thin the top more for better sound. More when I get them.

tomtop1.jpg

tomside1.jpg

tomhead1.jpg

tomparts1.jpg

Argh! That's MY ukulele!

Okay, okay, it's not mine. Tom made one for me and shipped it before he went away. Now all I have to comfort me in the agony of waiting are the photos he courteously emails a customer as the uke is in progress.

Those photos as the uke is being built certainly build anticipation, don't they?

I posted pictures of my uke-in-progress on my blog if anyone wants to see more photos of his work.

Awesome! I'm having vicarious experiences hearing about everyone's custom-build cigar box uke... I won't be able to afford one for quite some time.

That looks really good! Im digging that green stripe!

Argh! That's MY ukulele! I posted pictures of my uke-in-progress on my blog if anyone wants to see more photos of his work.
Great blog entry, even better photos!

Awesome! I'm having vicarious experiences hearing about everyone's custom-build cigar box uke... I won't be able to afford one for quite some time.
It all depends on your budget and financial situation, of course, but Tom's prices are very reasonable...especially compared to other custom ukes.

That looks really good! Im digging that green stripe!
Me too...I saw it on another uke he built and really liked it. (The other one had a green rosette, too, which looked really good but I opted for better sound over better looks on that one detail.) I think it will look especially good with the gold tuners he's installing.

Announcement: It's here!. Came in today's mail.

Ahem. Okay, back to the thread. I'll post my own pics after I've had a chance to play it. Just got it unpacked and tuned.

Tom's price is pretty reasonable, given that you're getting a custom instrument. It's a well-made instrument, too. But caveat emptor: cigar box instruments are NOT for everyone. They are, if not unique, very different from your standard uke. They look, feel and sound different. Give it some though first before you order.

Don't order one then complain it doesn't sound like a $3,000 Kamaka. It's a folk instrument in the true sense of the word. That being said, I like it and it suits me.

Tom strings his ukes low-G, and I'll play it a while that way before I change to high-G. I'm tempted to leave it as a low-G though, because I think I've converted all my others to high-G, so I have none to play in low-G. I may replace the saddle when I change strings, too and try a Tusq saddle.

Tom's back from vacation so I have a few more photos from mine...he has the headstock shaped and the tuners on (I requested the gold):

tomtuners1.jpg

tomtuners2.jpg

It looks like the binding's on too.

Last edited:
Very nice! Keep the pictures coming!

Gorgeous! I'm loving the look of the ukes he's been making recently!

I just posted a blog comment noting that Tom's cigar-box uke has become my favourite instrument, with the Mainland running a close second. Wildly different instruments as far as sound and design go, but both appeal to me for different reasons.

I'm enjoying the low-G, too. I had thought I wanted to change to high-G right away, but I'm happy with low-G. It's given me a new range of songs to work on. And it's sure eye-catching. I sometimes take it to work to practice at the end of the day when there are few customers. But sometimes people come in, see it, and the conversations begin... a good investment, if you're considering one.​

It's shaping up to be another amazing instrument by Tom. I love mine.

BTW, Does anybody who owns a cigar box uke by Tom have suggestions for a hard-shell case? I've been using the gig bag that my Kiwaya K-wave came in. It fits fine, but I want to protect my baby!! :)

It's shaping up to be another amazing instrument by Tom. I love mine.

BTW, Does anybody who owns a cigar box uke by Tom have suggestions for a hard-shell case? I've been using the gig bag that my Kiwaya K-wave came in. It fits fine, but I want to protect my baby!! :)

I don't own one, but I've seen rectangle-shaped ukulele cases that might work... they might be a bit thin, though.

I'm partial to the tweed...

3367_2.JPG

MGM has them.

Wow, the combination of that green stripe and the gold tuners... Stunning!
I know...I almost wish I'd gone for the green stripe as a soundhole rosette as well but Tom send the sound was better without a rosette (he can thin the soundboard more) so I opted for sound over looks.

Tom Guy

He makes a great cigar box ukulele! I used to own his first-ever tenor cigar box ukulele, but am trading it for a new concert. Once I receive it, I'll post a YouTube video of it. :shaka:

Top Bottom