Collings Tenor

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Best guess is a Composite Acoustics Cargo, but he has his hand over the bridge and a capo on the headstock, so it's not a 100% certain.

As for pricing of the Collings tenor, you can google around but there aren't many up for sale. Some sites still list out of date prices, new and secondhand, but a whole lot depends on the extremely wide variety of styles (10!), woods and finishes Collings used. Somewhere between 2000 and 3500 $ would be my guess, but I couldn't specify it much more than that.

As noted above, there are a variety of styles and builds, so prices vary. I found a couple at $3,700 - $5,800. That will raise a blister on your wallet!

Maybe Collings should release a uke under the Waterloo name and do their version of an old Gibson Uke. Just thinking out loud....

Ah, Collings tenors! This was the first 'magical' uke I ever bought - a uke that just feels like it transforms your experience of playing.

It's a long story of how I got my Collings, but I ended up picking up a UTK 2 (not as bling-y as the UTK 3 you have listed) for a very reasonable price - $1,500. I believe they are around $3,500 now.

And I still love it, although I don't play it that much, because it seems to me that the uke is made to be re-entrant and I normally play my linear tenors more. But it is still a thrill to pick it up on occasion.

Good luck in your search.

Ah, Collings tenors! This was the first 'magical' uke I ever bought - a uke that just feels like it transforms your experience of playing.

It's a long story of how I got my Collings, but I ended up picking up a UTK 2 (not as bling-y as the UTK 3 you have listed) for a very reasonable price - $1,500. I believe they are around $3,500 now.

And I still love it, although I don't play it that much, because it seems to me that the uke is made to be re-entrant and I normally play my linear tenors more. But it is still a thrill to pick it up on occasion.

Good luck in your search.

Thanks for your post.

The one listed there did not have a sunburst, which would add another ~$350 to the price. Collings is no longer making ukes and premium used ones are very hard to come by. So, they fetch very good prices.

I have both a concert and a tenor with spruce/maple and sunburst finishes. I would not part with either for less than $3k. They are marvelous instruments.

Bill Collings also passed away a few months ago, so his ukes will become more costly to acquire. He had other luthiers produce some of his guitars, but Bill made all of the ukes himself. I played one and it was delightful.

I bought my UT1, fall 2013. It was billed as Collings’s entry level tenor. I paid $900 new for it. I will never sale it. It sounds better than ever. I too, remember all those stupid comments from the UKE experts when Collings started putting them out. I feel fortunate to to be the proud owner of a humble, entry level plain Jane, nerdy Bob, Collings UT1.

Tomthebaptist,
A Baptist in recovery

Last edited by a moderator:
Aloha Jerry,

HAPPY SUNDAY!!! I hope that you're having a wonderful weekend! My name is Kimo, pleased to meet you!

I see that you've been afflicted with the dreaded UAS!!!:biglaugh: Very impressive collection of ukes!!! On a side note, I do know several UU members who have personal uke collections of 100+ ukes ... so I guess 41 isn't bad!!!

I know that you have interest in obtaining a Collings uke and that you're probably looking for the high end model 3, but I just thought I'd send this over to you since Collings ukes are seldomly up for re-sale.

https://reverb.com/item/13470069-col...-tenor-ukulele

I love reading all of your posts here on the UU Forums! Have a great remainder of the weekend and a wonderful upcoming 4th of July Holiday!!!

Aloha,

Kimo
:shaka:

P.S. Your Inbox is FULL

Top Bottom