Is this kind of neck angle normal?

iamhxt

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just got my first uku (Kala KA-GAT) today, and I found that there was a little angle at the joint of the neck and the body.
See the picture please.

Is this normal?

Thank you guys.

WechatIMG6.jpg

Hard to see what's happening in the pic.

Are the strings hard to press down? Does it play in tune?

Kala's quality control is usually pretty good.

Sorry, Iamhxt - I can't see anything in that photo that looks like a ukulele neck joint. It is quite normal for the neck to be at a slight angle to the body. If you place a ruler along the tops of the frets, projecting over the body, then the plane of the sound board would gradually become further from the ruler towards the bridge - but only very slightly.

Hope this helps.

John Colter.

Hard to make out the photo, but I think I am looking at the end of the fretboard where it lays on the body top. You highlighted a curve in red pen that runs side to side of the fretboard. This is not referred to neck angle. Neck angle is the angle of the entire neck running parallel to the body. This will determine the action of the strings relative to the height of the saddle. Quite a bit of work to overcome and correct if it is badly shallow or deep.

In your case (if I'm looking at the photo correctly), there is nothing wrong with having the end of the fretboard a little wavy on the end. Is it like this just at the end? Are you getting any dead frets or fret buzzing?

EDIT - I just looked at the photo again and see better. You are referring to the fretboard portion which lays over the top, but not side to side - you are referring to from where the neck meets the body and down to the sound hole. I have seen many ukulele and even guitars like this quite a bit. In my experience, this doesn't normally cause a playability issue unless there was a bump where the neck met the body that caused some fret buzz.

Last edited:
bs floyd has it... it's the 14th fret hump. What's happened is the top of the ukulele under the fretboard extension has sunken down towards the soundhole taking the fretboard extension with it. I have seen the same thing on brand new Martin guitars in high end shops. It might never pose a problem but I would not buy a new ukulele or guitar that was afflicted with that problem.

Many retailers have excellent return policies... if it bothers you, you might be able to return it, especially if you exchange it for another that doesn't have a 14th fret hump.

Last edited:
Top Bottom