Case Preference?

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Do you have a specific set of requirements when you buy a case? If money were no object, I get the shiny Crossrock fiberglass cases for everything. At over $100 each, that's not practical.

I like hard cases for everything. The hard canvas cases are a good deal financially, but the zippers are a nuisance. I prefer an actual hard wooden case, preferably with a domed top, more than two catches, and rings for a strap or two. Generally speaking, I buy better cases for better ukes.

I bought Martin Iz edition tenor from Elderly, and it included an Ameritage case ($250) at no extra charge. That was a very good deal.

I prefer gig bags with padding and backpack straps because they're light, protective, easy to carry and store. When home, my 8 ukes stay in a humidified display shelf, when out and about, I don't worry about banging or knocking them around, even my most expensive custom. To me they're made to play, not to coddle.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

I’ve ended up finding one good hard case for soprano, soprano with geared tuners, concert, Tenor and baritone. I hang the ukes on a wall and then when I need a certain case, I grab it from the high shelf in the closet.

For a while, all my ukes were in cases, where I couldn’t see them or play them easily. I was also swimming in cheap cases and gig bags. Once I made the switch, I now have a very nice case for all. (5 total)

I think the fiberglass cases are strongest (like Aldrine’s). But I don’t have his schedule or funds, so I try to find something less expensive, but stronger than the black canvas covered foam “hard cases” available everywhere.

Ya bought an Iz Tenor, eh? Good job! :)

The Oahu cases on The Ukulele Site are, as far as I'm concerned, the best value. Well made, well padded and well appointed. The basic hard cases (not the zipper & foam things) are better than anything else I've seen for less than $100. And they have arched tops, which is a requirement for me.

I use an Ameritage case for my vintage archtop. I am thinking about getting one for my Kamaka, but those cases are way too expensive for general purposes.

The Oahu cases on The Ukulele Site are, as far as I'm concerned, the best value. Well made, well padded and well appointed. The basic hard cases (not the zipper & foam things) are better than anything else I've seen for less than $100. And they have arched tops, which is a requirement for me.

Second that. Although truth be told, my favorite cases are those old chipboard ones lined with orange shag carpet that are no longer made. They're compact and lightweight and surprisingly protective - my cat knocked my Kamaka pineapple in a chipboard case off a shelf, it hit the ground and skidded across my living room, and when I opened it expecting the worst, the uke was just fine.

I third that. Really nice case for the money.

I'm into hard cases. No brand in particular, but the more traditional styling. Preferably wood construction. I don't care if they are arched or not. I have nice padded gig bags for all of my ukuleles and I really want to like them, but I always seem to go to the hard case. But I only have three ukuleles, so it isn't like I've bought a lot of hard cases and know something about them. I do use the gig bag with the one ukulele when I take it down to the beach. The gig bag just seems more beachy.

Last edited:
For quality Ukuleles, the Crossrock Fiberglass cases, with shoulder strap.

4th! :biglaugh: For budget case the Musicians Friend Musicians gear cases are great, at about $40, if you watch, they go on sale, like right now...
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/ukulele-cases-gig-bags?typeAheadRedirect=true

I keep looking at those cases - which are excellent - but the shipping charge raises the price enough that I can get a good case elsewhere for the same or less.

I've seen a few of them - great colors. They're beautiful cases, but I have ten ukes that cost less. I try to match the price of the uke with the price of the case.

I think you answered your own question. All my current Ukes are in Ameritage(or made by the company that makes Ameritage) cases. I have my BR 8 string in a Komoa fibreglass case ( no longer manufactured) that is very similar to the Crossrock case. The MyaMoe Ukes that I once had came with Oahu cases which I thought were good cases.

Gator makes nice cases. I have 3. The model I have they dont make anymore .
I like the hardshell wood case , If I were buying a case, this would be it.

Last edited:
I bought a used Armitage case for my custom built Donaldson - had WickedWahine11 send it to Bradford while he was building the uke... Almost seems as though the case was made to fit the uke (It was, honestly, the other way around.)

I've got Ohana Vita cases for the two Vita Ukes and the Firefly, the original Fluke Gator hard case for my Fluke, a Fremont rectangular case fr the Kala, O'ahu for the Sceptre, mostly the plywood Uke Crazy cases for the Ohana CK-65D, the Cordoba, and the Moku, the Republic and National are in their original hard cases. I have the Waverly Street in a banjo uke hard case from Elderly, the Stella Banjo Uke lives in a gig bag, and the Epi Les Paul is in another gig bag. All the plastic ukes are in the original gig bags. And I got a Gator hard case for the Timms, using points from Musician's Friend, so basically free, for a great case. I've given away a couple of the polyfoam cases to people who had nothing, but I'm not a fan of them.

And I've got a Reunion Blues gig bag I got from Gerald Ross, that I will **Occasionally** use at indoor festivals.

All-in-all, the Ameritage Silver is my favorite, albeit heaviest - case. I'd love to add a third catch to my Uke Crazy cases, but I'm in no rush.

Last edited:
Top Bottom