Blackbird Farralon strings - trial and error

etudes

Reaction score
I've been trying different strings on the Farralon , currently have the worth browns and the Thomastik Infeld Chrome Flat wound low G. I'm still waiting for the strings to settle before doing any real critical listening but I might end up going back to where I started. I'm just not sure what the Farallon shipped with. It had a brass wound low G, I know that much. Anyone?

I've been trying different strings on the Farralon , currently have the worth browns and the Thomastik Infeld Chrome Flat wound low G. I'm still waiting for the strings to settle before doing any real critical listening but I might end up going back to where I started. I'm just not sure what the Farallon shipped with. It had a brass wound low G, I know that much. Anyone?

Oasis warms. The brass wound low G is more than likely an Oasis warm SW, it is a good wound low G string.

Oasis warms- cool. I might even have a set in my string box.
Update: I do have a set even with the wound low G! But the worth browns are starting to settle and sound better, no rush to change them yet.. Cheers, and enjoy the rest of your weekend

Last edited:
Oasis warms- cool. I might even have a set in my string box.
Update: I do have a set even with the wound low G! But the worth browns are starting to settle and sound better, no rush to change them yet.. Cheers, and enjoy the rest of your weekend

You may want to give the Worth Browns a week or even two to stabilize. I am very happy with the Worth brown/TI low G combination on my Farallon, but it took about a week for me to conclude that. Great question on original strings on Farallon... I had wondered that myself.

You may want to give the Worth Browns a week or even two to stabilize. I am very happy with the Worth brown/TI low G combination on my Farallon, but it took about a week for me to conclude that. Great question on original strings on Farallon... I had wondered that myself.

Thanks, I will give them a week or more. I'm seeing that string settling isn't just the strings staying in tune.. the tone seems to settle and improve after some days as well. There must be threads on this topic?

I've experimented a fair amount with strings on my Farallon. One of the first tries was to substitute the wound G with a Fremont Soloist, keeping the rest of the Oasis Warm set. Quite good actually. Tried the Worth browns, but they just didn't work for me. Eventually settled on Living Waters with a plain G, and have been quite pleased. A bit lose feeling at times, but love the tone.

Just got a set of Sugars through Elderly, and slapped them on my Farallon (which is both very responsive to string changes, and quite picky). After playing them a lot over the past three days, I think they're the best strings I've used to date — at least for this instrument.

I'd describe the sound as a nice, clear, chimney tone with excellent sustain. And like the Carbon Blacks, a distinct "plunkiness" to the initial attack, which I quite like. Most important for my purposes, the unwound C eliminates the boominess typical of that sting, and balances it nicely with the rest of the strings. Sounds great strummed, but really excels with delicate fingerstyle playing. No detectable squeak on the set I'm using, but it could be my fingers...

My only complaint is the thickness and harness of the strings. The C and E are noticeably thicker than most anything I've used before, but they fit in the nut (although the C seems to bind up a bit, making tuning a bit of a hassle). Had to lube the slot, which helped. Although I can't be sure, they seem thicker, denser, and harder than the Carbon Blacks, which has been a bit of a trial for the fingers. Also pleased to report that they haven't broken yet -- a problem I often have with the Carbon Blacks. Although I loved the CBs, the constant breakage was a deal breaker, pun intended.

So, overall very pleased. Aquila has won me back with these. Best tone yet on my Farallon, for my style of playing and desired sound profile. Would definitely like to try the new smaller gauge sugars when they become available...

I have a Farallon coming with side port and low g oasis warms on. I would like to also try it with a high g string. I've not switched out strings before as I have been quite happy with the original strings that came with my 3 other ukuleles, (all high g) over the past year. I opted for the side port after some reading and research and since I want to try some chord melody in low g, the side port is recommended to maybe balance the strings. Has anybody got any recommendations for a high g to try with the oasis warms? I'm not sure if the side port would make any difference in the choosing of a string and I wonder if high g would suit the instrument at all given that blackbird don't recommend having the port if using high g.

I would be interested if anybody has tried high g with a a Farallon with a side port. It appears to be no benefit to having the port for high g. I'm hoping that there is no detriment either.

Just got a set of Sugars through Elderly, and slapped them on my Farallon (which is both very responsive to string changes, and quite picky). After playing them a lot over the past three days, I think they're the best strings I've used to date — at least for this instrument.

I'd describe the sound as a nice, clear, chimney tone with excellent sustain. And like the Carbon Blacks, a distinct "plunkiness" to the initial attack, which I quite like. Most important for my purposes, the unwound C eliminates the boominess typical of that sting, and balances it nicely with the rest of the strings. Sounds great strummed, but really excels with delicate fingerstyle playing. No detectable squeak on the set I'm using, but it could be my fingers...

My only complaint is the thickness and harness of the strings. The C and E are noticeably thicker than most anything I've used before, but they fit in the nut (although the C seems to bind up a bit, making tuning a bit of a hassle). Had to lube the slot, which helped. Although I can't be sure, they seem thicker, denser, and harder than the Carbon Blacks, which has been a bit of a trial for the fingers. Also pleased to report that they haven't broken yet -- a problem I often have with the Carbon Blacks. Although I loved the CBs, the constant breakage was a deal breaker, pun intended.

So, overall very pleased. Aquila has won me back with these. Best tone yet on my Farallon, for my style of playing and desired sound profile. Would definitely like to try the new smaller gauge sugars when they become available...

I've experimented a fair amount with strings on my Farallon. One of the first tries was to substitute the wound G with a Fremont Soloist, keeping the rest of the Oasis Warm set. Quite good actually. Tried the Worth browns, but they just didn't work for me. Eventually settled on Living Waters with a plain G, and have been quite pleased. A bit lose feeling at times, but love the tone.

Thanks Neo and Besley. Great thoughts on strings for the Farallon. It's hard to find time to change strings these days so it's a huge help to hear your impressions. Hope you're all enjoying the weekend..

Top Bottom