Baritone strings

Ukulelerick9255

Reaction score
I want a wound low d and wound g with nylon for the b&e strings. Any sets like this or will I have to improvise? I hate flurocarbon hence the nylon requirement. If anyone knows a wound set with nylon trebles let me know....thanks in advance

Aquila baritone sets come with wound D and G...

I have Aquila reds on my Martin B51 and they sound great b

Last edited:
The answer is: Just about any Classical Guitar string set.

Buy any Classical guitar set that is your liking, and use the MIDDLE 4 strings to tune up to DGBE.
You get wound D and G and plain B and E. Sounds and feels better than most "baritone ukulele" string sets, and the tension and feel is generally spot on (and you get to choose your preferred tension, as classical guitar sets come in different tension gradings. Fortunately "Normal tension" in classical guitar corresponds to "Normal tension" when you put it on a baritone ukulele).

Some sets I like are D'addario Pro-Arte (Normal Tension) and Thomastik Classic N
Tend to last a lot longer (and sound better) than Aquilas in my opinion.

Last edited:
The answer is: Just about any Classical Guitar string set.

Buy any Classical guitar set that is your liking, and use the MIDDLE 4 strings to tune up to DGBE.

Exactly what I was going to write :) Even the "cheap" import strings on eBay are perfectly serviceable in this context and for the price you can afford to get a couple of spare sets ;)

Exactly what I was going to write :) Even the "cheap" import strings on eBay are perfectly serviceable in this context and for the price you can afford to get a couple of spare sets ;)

I suspect that a lot of generic brand strings could be the same makers of branded strings anyway.

This is the simple answer I have been looking for. I knew there had to be an easy formula. I did this today to a baritone I bought a few days ago. Put on D'addario Pro-Arte, normal tension. Sounds great!

Top Bottom