Kiwaya KTC-2 - strings/ tunings and more surprises

etudes

Reaction score
I'm still getting acquainted with the Kiwaya purchased last week and installed worth browns. There's a current thread about ukes that surprised you and I'm surprised how it sounds tuned down a whole step, even a whole step and a half. On finger picking tunes it really sings.

.........tuned down a whole step and a half..........That is Drop 3 Tuning which is what I have on my Kala baritone. I am using the A D G B strings from a D'Addario Classic Nylon Set and tuned it B E G# C#. Sings so beautifully. Nice and warm too..

I never knew what 'Drop 3' tuning is- thanks for illuminating that for me. I bet that sounds amazing on your baritone.

Are there many players of concerts and tenors that use the tuning?

Before I moved to ukulele from guitar due to sore fingers, old age. Most guitar players I knew tuned down one half step and many tuned down two half steps - one whole step. The reasoning was easier on voice and easier on fingers. Plus slapping on a capo one could be back in standard in short order. Every string instrument I own is tuned down two half steps except for my baritone ukulele. One guitar is in DADGAD, a great tuning. I love fingerpicking and look forward to the day that I can finerpick the melody and sound good. Since going to ukulele I have sort of fallen in love with Chord Melody on the ukulele.

Top Bottom