PDA

View Full Version : a bridge glue fail



hoji
07-02-2018, 07:25 AM
I discovered the bridge popped off mysteriously. It was not under too much tension either, tuned to D4 G3 B3 E4, at 17" scale length. This was using Behlen's Hide Glue. Joint must have been glue starved, and glue too wattery. Also probably heated too much. I've since learned to mix a thicker glue/water ratio, and have a better heating technique now.

I was mixing 2:1 water to glue by volume, and heating in a tin can with a heat gun. Better to use 1.8:1, by weight, and use water pot.

This gives me an excuse to apply more shellac and polish this uke now, since I didn't like my finish job. I might try a less massive bridge too.

110195

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
07-02-2018, 08:55 AM
Unless you have a decent method of keeping the hide glue at around 140, id use titebond.