what do you think about this uke

ukeandfish

Reaction score
im thinking about getting a Kala All-Solid Mahogany Concert Ukulele, with the pickups.
Here are pictures and what Kala says about it....http://www.kalaukulele.com/KA-ASMCE-C.htm

do you guys think its a good uke, it would be my first nice uke now that im serious about my playing. also, does the cutaway make a difference, i would be playing acoustically as much as amplified.

What is the price you are looking at to pay for this uke. Is that the extent of your budget? If you buy a in-expensive uke, you will probably and eventually be dishing out money for another uke later. Do you have the opportunity to play different brands of ukulele? When I first started, I played with Lanikai's. I didnt care for the thin sound I got. I eventually went into solid wood ukes. I have 3 koa Tenors, a mango tenor and I actually own a Lanikai, but it is an 8-string which gives off such a full sound with 8 strings.

Yeh, i guess kalas are great for a first ukulele.
I dont think you should look into buying a higher end ukulele, or a solid Koa kamaka or the likes.
This kala is not bad. I guess the cutaway's purpose is to have easier access to the higher frets, But besides that it doesnt have any affect to the uke.

Good luck

I have the ASMT without the cutaway and pickup (although I have installed a pickup myself). It's very good value and I am delighted with it.

GHS and D'Addario J71 strings don't seem to suit these mahogany ukes, but Aquilas make the Kala loud and resonant.

Very similar to my own first uke, which was a Kala, too, cutaway, with pickup. I opted for a tenor/spruce top. I have not been disappointed by either of the Kalas I own.

Other options in a similar price range include Mainland, Ohana and Lanikai. Spend some times with ukes at this level before you start spending the big bucks on the top-of-the-line models. You may find they provide all you want in a ukulele, so you can buy three or four compared to a single high-end uke.

I echo Dino. After 8 months of playing I finally figured out what I wanted in a uke and had Jerry Hoffman of Boat Paddle build a custom uke. It was not cheap, but it sounds exactly like I wanted. It was a very wise decision.

And honestly if I had not gone through the process of owning a soprano Flea and a tenor Bushman, I wouldn't have know that I wanted a soprano Boat Paddle. But it sounds like you're at the point of getting a really nice uke that plays and sounds exactly like you want it to.

I would recommend listening to uke samples online. If there are any uke gatherings near you, those are great for hearing ukes, playing ukes and getting advice as well as formulating your idea of what a perfect uke should be. People who can really play and own a dozen ukes can really tell you what they like or hate about each uke they own.

I'm not knocking the Kala. I just think it's worth a little extra investigation ot a little extra investment if you're at the point in your playing that you know what you're looking for. Once you're in the $500 range, you're within reach of custom ukes and some really great instruments. As the third knight said: Choose wisely.

Top Bottom