Baggs para acoustic DI

Ukulelerick9255

Reaction score
I play a high end tenor with a Baggs 5.0 in it and I just bought the DI preamp to run through my Fishman Sa220 PA system. Any suggestions on settings for the preamp and for the PA. Please don’t say experiment lol I already know I can do that. Anyone using a DI an active pickup let me know what settings you use.

Experiment. Seriously. Every uke is different.

~200hz is the boomy sound. ~5-800hz can be the nasally quack. I recommend boosting an EQ band and then sweeping the frequency to find the most offensive sound then turn it down. Repeat as needed.

Check out some videos on youtube about EQing an acoustic guitar. You've got to hear it and feel it to really get the idea. Numbers don't mean much and are reference points ONLY.

Thanks for asking the question! I need to figure out my Behringer ADI21 too - it doesn't have so much control as the Baggs but I think I have more of a clue now.

I set the PA at 3/4 volume, the gain at 10 o’clock and all the eq settings flat.
I set the di flat on the base dropped the mids and trebles a drop, I adjusted the volume till I had a volume I liked which can be adjusted based on room size, I set the gain at 2o’clock about and rolled it back till no distortion and the sound is amazing, so much better than I could get with just the PA EQ settings.

I play a high end tenor with a Baggs 5.0 in it and I just bought the DI preamp to run through my Fishman Sa220 PA system. Any suggestions on settings for the preamp and for the PA. Please don’t say experiment lol I already know I can do that. Anyone using a DI an active pickup let me know what settings you use.

Make sure to use an XLR cable (not a 1/4" cable) from the output of the LR Baggs DI, going into one of the MIC channels on the PA system.

The XLR cable is designed to reject hum and interference, and also tends to deliver a hotter signal (by about 2db) than a standard 1/4" cable. The db (decibel) scale is logarithmic, so that is potentially a 10x-100x gain in volume.

The DI will handle and resolve any impedance mismatch from the 10k-50k Ohms output of the active Baggs 5.0 pickup, and supply your PA's MIC input with the 200-1000 Ohm input it expects. By doing so, it will remove the 'piezo quack' and loss of bass frequencies.

If you want to learn more about mics, pickups and recording your uke, see the FAQ link in my forum signature below, where I've written about these topics extensively here on UU in the past.

Good luck! :)

Ditto on Brad's recommendation. Identifying the problem frequency is a good place to start. Ric

Experiment. Seriously. Every uke is different.

~200hz is the boomy sound. ~5-800hz can be the nasally quack. I recommend boosting an EQ band and then sweeping the frequency to find the most offensive sound then turn it down. Repeat as needed.

Check out some videos on youtube about EQing an acoustic guitar. You've got to hear it and feel it to really get the idea. Numbers don't mean much and are reference points ONLY.

Top Bottom