Learn Swing/Jazz style uke this summer!

Gerald Ross

Reaction score
I am teaching beginning/intermediate Swing/Jazz ukulele at the Augusta Heritage Festival this July 26-31, 2009 in the beautiful mountains of Elkins, West Virginia. It's Swing Week!

Many people on this board have taken my class and have experienced the 24/7 music environment of Swing Week. Lot's of fun!

Chime in former students!

Augusta Swing Week 2009!

Class blurb:

The ukulele was made for Swing music! The music of 1930s and 40s is fun and easy to play on the ukulele. My Augusta class will teach the student how to get the swing feel in their playing through the use of closed position chord shapes –these sound real hip, are easy to finger and will make the guitar player in your life jealous--. You will also learn proper right and left hand rhythm techniques. During my Augusta classes we will:

1. Take a familiar swing tune and convert the basic open-string chords to more interesting closed-string voicings to achieve a jazzy or swing feel.
2. Explore chord substitutions for basic chord progressions.
3. Getting the swing feeling in your rhythm.
4. Backup ukulele techniques for swing music.
5. Lead Soloing
6. Movable Chord Shapes
7. Building Swing Chord arrangements

Does swing week still run concurrently with blues week like it used to? It's worth it just for the dance and the little jam sessions that break out all over the place! I'd love to get back there.

(The downside is watching all of the wealthy yuppies dragging around priceless vintage instruments or ridiculously expensive custom instruments they shouldn't be allowed to even touch. ;))

The Augusta programs are really a great time and Elkins is really nice. West Virginians are awesome, too; I've got one of my own. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom