PDA

View Full Version : What is that thingy on Jake's ukulele?

SandChannel
07-06-2018, 06:54 AM
In the below video, Jake has some type of metallic cover below his sound hole. Any idea what it is? Is it just somewhere to rest his fingers or maybe some type of surface pickup that amplifies body taps? Just curious. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gJJ3aDif5A

mikelz777
07-06-2018, 07:00 AM
I think it's part of what looks like a sound hole neck strap.

SandChannel
07-06-2018, 07:01 AM
Yup. That makes sense! Ha. Thanks!

Rllink
07-06-2018, 07:02 AM
I don't know if it has any other function as well, but you can buy one directly from Jake for a mere eighty bucks. Get them while they're hot.

https://jakeshimabukuro.colortestmerch.com/collections/accessories/products/custom-ukulele-strap-japan-import

RichM
07-06-2018, 07:03 AM
I think it's part of what looks like a sound hole neck strap.

Yep!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=11&v=qIvvV_nzLYQ

Strumdaddy
07-06-2018, 03:33 PM
I don't know if it has any other function as well, but you can buy one directly from Jake for a mere eighty bucks. Get them while they're hot.

https://jakeshimabukuro.colortestmerch.com/collections/accessories/products/custom-ukulele-strap-japan-import

I think the metal thingy distributes pressure over a wider area to lessen any possible wear.

Jimdrum
07-06-2018, 07:20 PM
Isn't this pretty much the same strap setup that Willie Nelson employs with 'Trigger'?

Rllink
07-07-2018, 05:46 AM
I think the metal thingy distributes pressure over a wider area to lessen any possible wear. Maybe so. But just looking at it, it looks like something that could be made in high school metal shop. I don't see eighty bucks worth there.

Jarmo_S
07-07-2018, 08:42 AM
Isn't this pretty much the same strap setup that Willie Nelson employs with 'Trigger'?

Yes the principle is the same. Though if you look at Willie's strap it is so much thicker to able balance the heavier instrument without too much work. Still I wonder how he does it, in his age and all.

Xtradust
07-08-2018, 05:12 AM
I think the important part, with all the tension, is the little tab that goes on the inside of the hole.
Making that inside tab wider would protect the soundhole from damage during a strong pull on the strap.
I’d almost say it would work better if he flipped it. The Wide part inside and then attach the strap to the little tab on the outside. (And sell it for $10) ;)

Jerryc41
07-08-2018, 06:55 AM
Yep!

Interesting that you were able to post with just one word. I guess the words in the video link counted.

Two things concern me about that strap - three, if you include the price. What are those pieces made from? I can see both of them leaving marks on the uke after a while. The ad doesn't tell us much at all.

Jerryc41
07-08-2018, 07:15 AM
I'd prefer something like this, with a rubber hook.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/daddario-planet-waves-ukulele-strap--eco-friendly#productDetail

Lapyang
07-08-2018, 07:46 AM

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/daddario-planet-waves-ukulele-strap--eco-friendly#productDetail

Jerry, you bet me to it. I was about to mention the rubber hook one. Has anyone try that out yet?

Rllink
07-08-2018, 08:25 AM
I do not favour this type of strap. I like a strap which will allow you to free both hands without dropping the uke. But it works for the way Jake has arranged his performances. Sometimes I use a strap and sometimes I don't. When I do use one it is often times when I need not only the support, but the ability to let go of the ukulele and use my hands.

Two things concern me about that strap - three, if you include the price. What are those pieces made from? I can see both of them leaving marks on the uke after a while. The ad doesn't tell us much at all.
I would assume that it would leave marks over time, but even plastic ones could leave a mark. It really depends on how concerned you are about marks in the finish.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/daddario-planet-waves-ukulele-strap--eco-friendly#productDetail That seems like a good one. As I said above, I do have a sound hole strap, a cheap one, and the hook is thick plastic. I hit it with my finger when I'm finger picking. But regardless, a sound hole strap doesn't work for me.

Ukulelerick9255
07-08-2018, 01:51 PM
The metal part of his strap apparatus is designed to create alpha wave vibrations that subjugate the beta waves of the pickup system therefore eliminating any static response to the PA system resulting in a celestial waveless arc that negates the low end of the higher spectrum and lessens the high end of the lower spectrum all of which results in the distinctive “Jake” sound. Geez I thought this was obvious.
PS it’s an ornamental piece I believe he made himself. Did anyone really believe all that? Lol

SandChannel
07-08-2018, 02:49 PM
The metal part of his strap apparatus is designed to create alpha wave vibrations that subjugate the beta waves of the pickup system therefore eliminating any static response to the PA system resulting in a celestial waveless arc that negates the low end of the higher spectrum and lessens the high end of the lower spectrum all of which results in the distinctive “Jake” sound. Geez I thought this was obvious.
PS it’s an ornamental piece I believe he made himself. Did anyone really believe all that? Lol

:biglaugh:

Works for me!

Nickie
07-11-2018, 06:22 PM
I saw that strap on his uke at his last performance here.
I tried one like it, and did NOT like it, as the uke felt like it wanted to pitch forward right outta my hands.
$80? Wow. They must be hand made....

Braddtastic
07-12-2018, 09:48 AM

Reading your post, it occurs to me that Willie's use of the neckstrap should provide the final answer to the question of whether the pressure on the sound hole will damage your instrument. If that thing isn't ripping Trigger apart, in the condition she's in, it should pose no problems for a lighter healthier ukulele. :rolleyes:

Rllink
07-12-2018, 09:53 AM
I saw that strap on his uke at his last performance here.
I tried one like it, and did NOT like it, as the uke felt like it wanted to pitch forward right outta my hands.
$80? Wow. They must be hand made....No doubt, probably hands that don't earn very much money making them.

mikelz777
07-12-2018, 09:55 AM
Reading your post, it occurs to me that Willie's use of the neckstrap should provide the final answer to the question of whether the pressure on the sound hole will damage your instrument. If that thing isn't ripping Trigger apart, in the condition she's in, it should pose no problems for a lighter healthier ukulele. :rolleyes:

I think that this is a good observation. I can understand that one should be concerned about the force that such a strap would exert on the sound hole/soundboard but in reality, are such concerns justified or just an unnecessary worry?

Jarmo_S
07-12-2018, 02:58 PM
I think that this is a good observation. I can understand that one should be concerned about the force that such a strap would exert on the sound hole/soundboard but in reality, are such concerns justified or just an unnecessary worry?

No they are not, except maybe some surface scratches when removing the thing from soundhole or if it is moving. The force is to the ground direction (tangential to the top) at the soundhole edge. Comes from uke weight and what your right arm does to support the uke for leaving left hand of not needing to support the neck if wanted.

Regarding Willle's Trigger all bets are off though how long if will last, though the damage is mainly in the bridge area. But it is terrible ones.

ukulelekarcsi
07-16-2018, 10:11 PM
Del Rey also uses a similar strap system 'from below', I believe meant for a clarinet. The wide metal part doesn't make much sense in distributing pressure (the pressure's on the soundhole's edge) but I can see it doubling as a scratch guard. Do all soundholes on current ukuleles have the same size? I do like the doubled weaving on the other part that supports the ukulele, at the bottom - very thoughtful.

Rllink
07-17-2018, 05:10 AM
No they are not, except maybe some surface scratches when removing the thing from soundhole or if it is moving. The force is to the ground direction (tangential to the top) at the soundhole edge. Comes from uke weight and what your right arm does to support the uke for leaving left hand of not needing to support the neck if wanted.

Regarding Willle's Trigger all bets are off though how long if will last, though the damage is mainly in the bridge area. But it is terrible ones.From day one when Willie bought that guitar, does anyone think that he ever cared one bit about getting scratches and dents in it from the hook on his strap?

RichM
07-17-2018, 05:37 AM
From day one when Willie bought that guitar, does anyone think that he ever cared one bit about getting scratches and dents in it from the hook on his strap?

Willie has Trigger serviced regularly to guarantee that it remains structurally sound, even though it is cosmetically....errr... unique. Trigger will outlive Willie and most of us, too, no doubt.

Xtradust
07-17-2018, 07:57 AM
I think a sound hole hook would work fine...until I trip on a mic cord or do something stupid that would create a hard yank on the hook.

Found this online...
"This poor Guild belongs to a wonderful singer/songwriter who tripped while installing her feedbackbuster as she was getting on stage and pushed the soundhole in."

Xtradust
07-17-2018, 07:59 AM
Trigger...

Ukecaster
07-17-2018, 08:15 AM
$80.00? Whoa! I’ll stick with a couple of strap pins for $5.00, then my hands are free to grab a beer and turn the page at the same time.