What is that thingy on Jake's ukulele?

SandChannel

Reaction score
In the below video, Jake has some type of metallic cover below his sound hole. Any idea what it is? Is it just somewhere to rest his fingers or maybe some type of surface pickup that amplifies body taps? Just curious. Thanks!

I think it's part of what looks like a sound hole neck strap.

I think the metal thingy distributes pressure over a wider area to lessen any possible wear.
Maybe so. But just looking at it, it looks like something that could be made in high school metal shop. I don't see eighty bucks worth there.

Last edited:
Isn't this pretty much the same strap setup that Willie Nelson employs with 'Trigger'?

Yes the principle is the same. Though if you look at Willie's strap it is so much thicker to able balance the heavier instrument without too much work. Still I wonder how he does it, in his age and all.

I think the important part, with all the tension, is the little tab that goes on the inside of the hole.
Making that inside tab wider would protect the soundhole from damage during a strong pull on the strap.
I’d almost say it would work better if he flipped it. The Wide part inside and then attach the strap to the little tab on the outside. (And sell it for $10) ;)

Interesting that you were able to post with just one word. I guess the words in the video link counted.

Two things concern me about that strap - three, if you include the price. What are those pieces made from? I can see both of them leaving marks on the uke after a while. The ad doesn't tell us much at all.

I do not favour this type of strap. I like a strap which will allow you to free both hands without dropping the uke. But it works for the way Jake has arranged his performances.
Sometimes I use a strap and sometimes I don't. When I do use one it is often times when I need not only the support, but the ability to let go of the ukulele and use my hands.

Two things concern me about that strap - three, if you include the price. What are those pieces made from? I can see both of them leaving marks on the uke after a while. The ad doesn't tell us much at all.
I would assume that it would leave marks over time, but even plastic ones could leave a mark. It really depends on how concerned you are about marks in the finish.

That seems like a good one. As I said above, I do have a sound hole strap, a cheap one, and the hook is thick plastic. I hit it with my finger when I'm finger picking. But regardless, a sound hole strap doesn't work for me.

Last edited:
The metal part of his strap apparatus is designed to create alpha wave vibrations that subjugate the beta waves of the pickup system therefore eliminating any static response to the PA system resulting in a celestial waveless arc that negates the low end of the higher spectrum and lessens the high end of the lower spectrum all of which results in the distinctive “Jake” sound. Geez I thought this was obvious.
PS it’s an ornamental piece I believe he made himself. Did anyone really believe all that? Lol

The metal part of his strap apparatus is designed to create alpha wave vibrations that subjugate the beta waves of the pickup system therefore eliminating any static response to the PA system resulting in a celestial waveless arc that negates the low end of the higher spectrum and lessens the high end of the lower spectrum all of which results in the distinctive “Jake” sound. Geez I thought this was obvious.
PS it’s an ornamental piece I believe he made himself. Did anyone really believe all that? Lol

:biglaugh:

Works for me!

I saw that strap on his uke at his last performance here.
I tried one like it, and did NOT like it, as the uke felt like it wanted to pitch forward right outta my hands.
$80? Wow. They must be hand made....

Isn't this pretty much the same strap setup that Willie Nelson employs with 'Trigger'?

Reading your post, it occurs to me that Willie's use of the neckstrap should provide the final answer to the question of whether the pressure on the sound hole will damage your instrument. If that thing isn't ripping Trigger apart, in the condition she's in, it should pose no problems for a lighter healthier ukulele. :rolleyes:

I saw that strap on his uke at his last performance here.
I tried one like it, and did NOT like it, as the uke felt like it wanted to pitch forward right outta my hands.
$80? Wow. They must be hand made....
No doubt, probably hands that don't earn very much money making them.

Last edited:
Reading your post, it occurs to me that Willie's use of the neckstrap should provide the final answer to the question of whether the pressure on the sound hole will damage your instrument. If that thing isn't ripping Trigger apart, in the condition she's in, it should pose no problems for a lighter healthier ukulele. :rolleyes:

I think that this is a good observation. I can understand that one should be concerned about the force that such a strap would exert on the sound hole/soundboard but in reality, are such concerns justified or just an unnecessary worry?

Top Bottom