PDA

View Full Version : LfdM super tenor build in progress

DownUpDave
07-08-2018, 02:13 AM
I am fortunate enough to live 10 minutes down the road from Luis who builds LfdM ukuleles and guitars. Because of that I own a tenor with sitka spruce top and amazon rosewood back and sides. It is a cutaway with grand bouche sound hole (large oval) and arm rest. I also own a baritone 22-1/4" scale length with large body of bearclaw spruce and bocote back and side. Both are outstanding instruments.

About one year ago Luis had finished 4 ukes and called me up to see them. One had a sinker cedar top, never heard of that before. One strum and I was floored, sounded so dynamic, sweet and alive. So we hatched a plan. We had talked about doing a 19" scale length super tenor and this was the sound board I wanted to use. We found a stunning piece of curly myrtle, it looks great and Luis liked tap tone, most important. It will be a non-cutaway with a round sound hole, Luis is making the body a bit deeper than normal to take advantage of the longer scale length

Below are pictures of the sinker cedar tops he had available to pick from. Again I let his ear do the choosing. A picture of the raw myrtle oriented two different way. Then top and back glued up and sides bent with some naptha on it to show the color

Jim Hanks
07-08-2018, 02:31 AM
Oh man, that is gonna be awesome! :nana:
And you are going to love having a "baritone" at the correct scale length. :p

DownUpDave
07-08-2018, 02:39 AM

Thanks Jim. I have owned the baritone for over a year now and it sounds like a 4 string classical guitar. Bigger body and especially the longer scale length take the tone to a whole different level

DownUpDave
07-08-2018, 02:45 AM

It has taken me a few minutes but now I understand your "baritone" reference. You like your baritones at 19" and this tenor will be 19" but will be tuned to C, I will experiment with B and Bb.

Jim Hanks
07-08-2018, 03:44 AM
Yeah, just teasin. The biggun looks great too and I'm sure sounds great for G tuning.
19" is my favorite scale, at least recently. You have a lot of options with tuning. Linear C or Bb should be awesome. Reentrant can take you lower if you want to go that route. I have my super tenor Bonanza in reentrant F (cFAD) currently.

keod
07-08-2018, 05:45 AM
Wow Dave, another stunner!!! Sinker cedar- first I have heard of that. I think it's great you are trusting Luis's tap tone judgement. I can't wait to hear how this one sounds and compares to your other gems. Really like the myrtle you picked. I am so excited for you.

Jerryc41
07-08-2018, 05:48 AM
That's beautiful, and it's even better seeing it being completed.

Down Up Dick
07-08-2018, 05:57 AM
Hey, DUD1, soon you’ll be able open a high end ukulele store. They’re all pretty nice. You’re a lucky uker. :old:

kohanmike
07-08-2018, 05:57 AM
Beautiful stuff. I especially like the 22 1/4" scale baritone, for me it's the perfect size for a bass uke. I recently looked at some myrtle panels, love that look. Maybe someday.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos)

Doc_J
07-08-2018, 09:52 AM
Looking good Dave! You are so lucky to live near Luis!

stevejfc
07-08-2018, 09:53 AM
Geez Dave, it's not fair that you can custom order direct. Man, I would love to have a LFdM 16" concert. Seriously though, should be another keeper. I wonder how the sinker cedar compares to sinker redwood in tone?

DownUpDave
07-08-2018, 02:49 PM
@ Keod.....Casey I appreciate the nice compliments I really like the looks as well. I do trust Luis, his ears are how he makes great sounding ukes.

@ Jerryc41...Doing the build in progress threads are a lot of fun for everyone. I will keep the pictures coming

@ DownUpDick ...Hey brother DUD, I am stocking up on nice ukes for my retirement, 5 more years. Maybe I sell some maybe I keep them all

DownUpDave
07-08-2018, 03:04 PM
@ Kohanmike.....Myrtle can vary so much in color and grain it seems to cover the whole spectrum. Makes finding what you like very possible, I hope you find one that floats your boat.

@ Doc J....Hey Hodge thanks so much, yes I am very lucky to live close to Luis. Gets expensive though, kid in a candy store scenario!!!!

@ Steve....Thank you, I wish Luis would make a concert for you but he only does tenors and baritones. From what I understand sinker cedar compared to sinker redwood sounds the same as non-sinker. The redwood is usually a bit brighter with maybe more volume. As you know the individual piece of wood can vary in tone. The five tops he had all had a bit different tone but very close to one another.

Patrick Madsen
07-08-2018, 05:42 PM
Dang Dave, It's going to be a stunner. Congrats on another wonderful instrument coming up.

My Jumbo baritone is in the beginning stages of finally being built. It'll be the body size of a tenor guitar with a 1 3/8" wide 21.88" scale and, like yours, a bit deeper in the body. With a deeper body, you may have to go with a custom case to fit. He also made my parlor with a deeper body. The case he had with it just didn't fit right so had to go with an Armitage case. He just charged me what he paid for it otherwise it would have been a 650.00 case. I think I paid 268.00 for it. They're heavy and well built and a really good fit. Wish I could find something a little lighter as I don't need a tank to protect it.

Will post photos when I can get down there to click a few. Like you and Luis; my guy, George E. Thomas guitars, lives about 20 minutes away.

Lapyang
07-08-2018, 05:46 PM
Hey Dave, so Luis has started building your super tenor. It won't be long before you can hold it in your hands. I am excited for you.

SoloRule
07-08-2018, 07:13 PM
Congratulations Dave. It’s like waiting for a new born baby.
I look forward to holding it.
No doubt it will be another master piece !

Rakelele
07-08-2018, 09:21 PM
Congratulations my friend, great choices of wood! If I'd live that close to Luis, I'd have a second or third LFdM on its way as well. What a great idea to go down the super tenor road, I'm sure the concept will work very well with Luis's design.

Spicysteve
07-08-2018, 09:59 PM
Congratulations on what is going to be a fabulous instrument. So enjoy you sharing the build progression.
Can’t wait to hear what are going to be some beautiful, rich tones out of this fantastic build.

DownUpDave
07-09-2018, 01:08 AM
@ Patrick.....Thanks for the compliments. You should do a build in progress thread on your upcoming jumbo baritone. It sounds really interesting and I know you love your new parlor guitar from the same builder

@ Lapyang....I am looking forward to playing it. Will be ready sometime in Sept/Oct.

@ Solorule... Hey Brenda we know how good our tenors are, she has the same wood combo on her's as I do on mine. I don't image this will be better, it might, just a different tone because of the different woods. The longer scale, non-cutaway, round sound hole and deeper body will all make a bit of a difference. It will be an interesting comparison

DownUpDave
07-09-2018, 01:13 AM
@ Rakelele....Rainer I image if you lived as close to Luis as I do you would have at least 3-4 LfdMs and a short scale guitar or two:music:

@SpicySteve...Thank you very much I am sure it will sound as good or better than it looks. His set ups are always perfect and these are the easiest instruments I have ever played and that means a lot to me.

kohanmike
07-09-2018, 07:19 AM
Myrtle can vary so much in color and grain it seems to cover the whole spectrum.
I checked out Pacific Coast Woods and found a set. I really like the gray coloring, Very different than any of my ukes. I want the entire uke in myrtle, including the neck, which Vince at the Pacific said is available.

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Myrtle w flame uke raw 17.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos)

DownUpDave
07-09-2018, 08:11 AM
Great looking set of myrtle Mike, I love that grey tone with the strips and curl. I had actually picked out my set online from Tonewoods and they shipped it up to me. Looking at woods sets is as much or more fun then looking at completed ukuleles.

kohanmike
07-09-2018, 09:18 PM
Looking at woods sets is as much or more fun then looking at completed ukuleles.
Yes, he had about ten sets and all looked really good. Wait a minute, I posted the wrong set, nuts. I replaced the wrong one in my post above, it has even more flame grain. I like it because it lends itself to the design I'm thinking, a double cutaway with the Ovation leaf soundhole design without the leaves. Here's a mockup I did. (I hope I'm not hijacking your thread too much).

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Myrtle leaf hole dual 800.jpg

DownUpDave
07-10-2018, 01:02 AM
Yes, he had about ten sets and all looked really good. Wait a minute, I posted the wrong set, nuts. I replaced the wrong one in my post above, it has even more flame grain. I like it because it lends itself to the design I'm thinking, a double cutaway with the Ovation leaf soundhole design without the leaves. Here's a mockup I did. (I hope I'm not hijacking your thread too much).

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Myrtle leaf hole dual 800.jpg

No worries Mike as I said I love looking at woods sets.

kohanmike
07-10-2018, 05:24 AM
Another oops, I fixed the image of the mockup.

DownUpDave
07-15-2018, 11:43 PM
Luis sent me some pictures of the rosette. It is Brazilian Rosewood, the bridge and headstock plate will be the same wood. Purfing is red, white and black, kinda hard to see from the pictures. I like the color streaking and grain of the sinker cedar top. When finish is applied it will be very interesting looking

keod
07-16-2018, 01:23 AM
Wow Dave, I love that rosette!!! And you can get a glimpse of what that sinker top is going to look like. Stunning, gorgeous color.......I do like the round soundhole, I am so traditional. I have learned so much from your posts. Always greatly appreciated. I can hardly wait to see the finished product- you must be excited.

Spicysteve
07-16-2018, 04:34 AM
Things are rolling along nicely. Really enjoying you sharing the progress.
It is going to be gorgeous.

DownUpDave
07-18-2018, 12:26 AM
@Keod.....You had mentioned before about me trusting Luis's ear, I also trust his eyes. It was his idea to use brazilian rosewood for the rosette and then suggested the red, white and black for the purfing. I have always said to let the luthier have some artistic freedom and exercise his or her creative spirit.

@SpicySteve.....Thanks very much, I really enjoy doing these build in progress threads. Receiving new pictues is almost as exciting as receiving a new uke. My dad use to say "anticipation is greater then realization". But with an LfdM realization is king.

DownUpDave
07-24-2018, 12:04 AM
More pictures arrived. The sides are together with neck and tail block in place as well as kerfing. Those are the strips that run along the perimeter of the sides at the top and bottom. These allow the top and back pieces to be glued to the sides. The large curvy type light colored piece in the lower bout is the inner member for the arm rest. The pictures are taken with top side down.

keod
07-24-2018, 12:53 AM
Really like that darker stripe effect down the sides!

DownUpDave
07-24-2018, 01:31 PM
More pictures arrived. The sides are together with neck and tail block in place as well as kerfing. Those are the strips that run along the perimeter of the sides at the top and bottom. These allow the top and back pieces to be glued to the sides. The large curvy type light colored piece in the lower bout is the inner member for the arm rest. The pictures are taken with top side down.

Keod.......thanks for the compliments on the black streak in the side. Initally the sides were going to have another black strip close to the bottom, matching the top one. Luis had to work some magic because there was a crack in that black. He was able to salvage the piece and retain one black strip

hollisdwyer
07-24-2018, 07:57 PM
Damn gorgeous as is usual with all Luis’ work and all the Ukes you own. But good God man, are you ever going to stop? Lol.

DownUpDave
07-24-2018, 11:24 PM
Damn gorgeous as is usual with all Luis’ work and all the Ukes you own. But good God man, are you ever going to stop? Lol.

Yes I am going to stop.......this is the last one....really!!!:p

Thanks Hollis

Spicysteve
07-25-2018, 06:06 AM
You can't stop Dave. I am fulfilling my unobtainable UAS through you. :drool:
Hope to have an LfdM someday. Thanks again for sharing.

SoloRule
07-25-2018, 12:00 PM
It is truly an eyes candy. You pick great looking girl! :D
I will let you bring her to my house warming.

DownUpDave
07-26-2018, 03:29 PM
The back has received it's bracing. One step closer to playing at Brenda's house:music:

Jim Hanks
07-26-2018, 04:22 PM
Loving the grain on that back :drool:

DownUpDave
08-02-2018, 11:37 AM
Luis actually applies shellac to the inside surface of the back and sides, not the top. It really illustrates how "finish" changes the color and makes the grain pop. The outer surface of the side looks grey and dull, inside with finish it is honey colored and the grain stands out. I have asked for a macassar ebony fretboard with some color and stripping in it, this one is a winner.

sam13
08-02-2018, 01:53 PM
I can’t keep up.

I am lost. :music::spam:

Ukulele Eddie
08-02-2018, 04:58 PM
Looking good, DuD!

luv2uke
08-02-2018, 09:00 PM
Looking real nice. Can't wait to see a video with you playing it. Shouldn't be too long, aye?

DownUpDave
08-07-2018, 12:58 PM
Luis sent me a number of pictures of the steps he takes in bracing the top. He uses lattice bracing, same as his classical guitars.

DownUpDave
08-07-2018, 01:01 PM
Continuing to completion of the bracing

Josť de Londres
08-07-2018, 01:10 PM
Nice, I'm a big fan of lattice bracing. In my experience the extra volume lattice bracing gives an instrument is noticeable.

Doc_J
08-07-2018, 06:10 PM
Luis’ bracing is itself a work of art. Thanks for pictures Dave.

nalini6
08-07-2018, 06:30 PM
Hi Dave!

Can't wait to see your finished instrument... Luis made me an 18 inch tenor (her name is Clara) that I just adore. I've just last week experimented with stringing it as a baritone (low D). The thomastiks are still coming up to pitch but it is sounding very nice...

Since you are an LFDM afficionado, I do hope you'll consider taking part in my birthday collage for Luis - please feel free to submit more than one photo (since I believe you have several LFDMs - my husband Adrian told me about them). Lucky you! Ideally, the photos will go on Instagram with the hashtag #lfdmcelebration but if you prefer to just post them in the thread I started, that will work too.

All the best, and congrats on your new uke! :)

Diane

SoloRule
08-08-2018, 03:02 PM
I see your new baby is almost done ....the anticipation must be killing you ! It’s killing me....
I pray and I hope this is not another one of your lfdm that sing inside my head for days after I played it ! That would only mean trouble for me.
It’s looking really pretty. All the uncles and aunt are waiting !

DownUpDave
08-13-2018, 01:02 PM
@ Eddie Ukulele....thanks Eddie it is certainly taking shape

@luv2uke....thank you, but you might have to wait a very long time to see a video of me actually playing. Not my thing.

@ Jose de Londres...I am a big fan of lattice bracing as well, due to all the instruments of Luis's that I have had the good fortune to play

@ Doc J..... I feel the same way about Luis's bracing, a work of art indeed.

@nanlini6....Thanks Diane, I had the privilege of seeing your 18" tenor, it's fabulous. You and Adrian were missed at the party but I know you both had a previous engagement

The body is now glued together or as Luis's says "the box is closed up". Brenda with any luck it will be ready for Joseph's visit.

Spicysteve
08-13-2018, 01:28 PM
I cant wait for it to be completed. Let alone that it is a LfdM, and a super Tenor! I am just squirming. :drool:

DownUpDave
08-20-2018, 01:18 AM
A group shot of ukes with the roughed in necks in place, mine is in the middle. The one to the left is bearclaw spruce with quilted maple back and side and neck, gonna be a blonde bomb shell. The one to the right is sinker redwood and cocobolo, there is a fourth in this batch but the body was being worked on. It is being built for a friend and fellow uke club member, Alaskan yellow cedar and Hormingo.

Some people might know this others might not. The black strip in the middle of the neck is a carbon fiber rod inserted for stiffness and stability, most custom builder do this. The necks are actually made in three pieces, the main length of neck then the head stock and heel, you can see the joints.

JJFN
08-20-2018, 02:42 AM
Interesting shots Dave. What a neat organized work station. Can't wait to see the finished product, I'm sure you feel the same.

DownUpDave
08-20-2018, 03:55 AM
Interesting shots Dave. What a neat organized work station. Can't wait to see the finished product, I'm sure you feel the same.

Thank you so much and yes Luis's complete shop is almost hospital grade in it's cleanliness and organization. He was a engineer by profession so he is very detail minded, meticulous and exacting. Just the kind of guy you want building an expensive instument for you.

SoloRule
08-20-2018, 09:32 AM
Luis workshop is so clean, I remember I had to remove shoes before entering

DownUpDave
08-24-2018, 10:08 AM
More progress is being made. We picked a nice striped piece of macassar ebony for the fretboard, neck is spanish cedar. The headstock overlay is brazilian rosewood, looks great with some lighter fluid splashed on it, the colors pop.

DownUpDave
08-24-2018, 10:15 AM
Luis completes the fretboard, slots are cut, radius is shaped and it is bound in curly red maple with red and white purfing. The neck will be shaped then fretboard glued down and final neck shaping to make everything flush. Again lighter fluid is splashed on to show what the colors will look once laquer is applied. That cedar top really comes to life

sam13
08-24-2018, 10:24 AM
More progress is being made. We picked a nice striped piece of macassar ebony for the fretboard, neck is spanish cedar. The headstock overlay is brazilian rosewood, looks great with some lighter fluid splashed on it, the colors pop.

Love that head stock ... that is one loooooooong neck!

sam13
08-24-2018, 10:25 AM
Luis completes the fretboard, slots are cut, radius is shaped and it is bound in curly red maple with red and white purfing. The neck will be shaped then fretboard glued down and final neck shaping to make everything flush. Again lighter fluid is splashed on to show what the colors will look once laquer is applied. That cedar top really comes to life

This is looking fabulous ... looking forward to playing it! I am sure it will be sweet sounding.

DownUpDave
08-24-2018, 10:30 AM
This is looking fabulous ... looking forward to playing it! I am sure it will be sweet sounding.

Thanks buddy, we should have another uke party. We can welcome the new girl and play a bunch of the others. I know you are super busy but Saturday Sept. 29th is when Brenda and Joseph from Pennsylvania are coming over. Hopefully the "longggg neck" will be ready.

kerneltime
08-24-2018, 10:31 AM
I though my UAS would pause with a MBU.. but then I got an Ono and a Les.. and I feel that I have not even started my journey.. sigh!
Congratulations! I envy how you could personalize this thanks to proximity!

DownUpDave
08-24-2018, 10:40 AM
I though my UAS would pause with a MBU.. but then I got an Ono and a Les.. and I feel that I have not even started my journey.. sigh!
Congratulations! I envy how you could personalize this thanks to proximity!

Thank you, I know all too well that UAS is never cured, just goes into remission from time to time.. I am spoiled with Luis living so close, just came back from his shop and took the fretboard pics. The headstock shape is not his usual snake head shape. Luis and I came up with it for my baritone. He says I have the copyright on it and he won't use it on other ukes......but I am fine if he does. We just designed a new shape for my bridge, gonna have to wait to see that folks, still just on paper

SoloRule
08-24-2018, 04:02 PM
A special headstock name “Dave”. I like that ! :D

DownUpDave
08-24-2018, 05:17 PM
A special headstock name “Dave”. I like that ! :D

More like a special "headcase":p.........but I appreciate the sentement

DownUpDave
08-29-2018, 03:38 PM
Radused fingerboard is ready to be fretted. I am really happy with the strips and colors in the macassar ebony fingerboard. The maple binding and red purfing are doing it for me as well. That was Luis's idea, I always believe in letting the luthier have some artistic freedom.

hollisdwyer
08-29-2018, 03:47 PM

Looking Goooood Dave! Really nice headstock. I'm sure that you are pleased, I would be. I appreciated the opportunity to specify the pyramid bridge and headstock inlay of my BH. How could we not bond with an instrument that has a little part of us in it?

DownUpDave
09-02-2018, 03:14 AM
More progress, the frets are installed on the finger board and it is glued to the neck. No that is not the final neck shape, don't like them that fat, lol:p. The neck has been fitted to the body, Luis uses a bolt on.

Jim Hanks
09-02-2018, 03:24 AM
Nice! Yeah, needs a "little" more carving on the neck. :) This is gonna look great - love the "lighter fluid" (seriously? :eek:) shots previewing the finished look. :cool:

DownUpDave
09-02-2018, 03:37 AM
Nice! Yeah, needs a "little" more carving on the neck. :) This is gonna look great - love the "lighter fluid" (seriously? :eek:) shots previewing the finished look. :cool:

Yea Ronson lighter fluid. See the picture below, bottom right hand corner you can see part of the bottle. Anybody who was or is a smoker and owned a Zippo lighter will recognize the yellow and blue container

DownUpDave
09-12-2018, 10:19 PM
The arm rest, bindings and purfing are being added. The arm rest starts off as a piece of Spanish cedar glued into the body, see first picture. The top is glued in place then Luis hand carves the profile and adds the wood veneer to it, in this case Brazilian rosewood to match the bridge, rosette and headstock overlay.

DownUpDave
09-12-2018, 10:23 PM
The rosewood has been added to the arm rest. If you look carefully you can see the bindings and purfing in place, black, white and red.

Osprey
09-13-2018, 03:47 AM
That’s pretty darn cool, Dave. I have wondered how they did the beveled arm rest. Now I know. Thanks for keeping us up to date on the progress. Now I just have to clean the drool off the keyboard.

Kenn2018
09-13-2018, 01:47 PM
That is going to be an astonishing looking and sounding instrument Dave.

Your headstock design is very classy and I love what Luis did with the angled wood grain.

The arm rest looks fantastic with the way the grain wraps it. Really pretty.

Can't wait to see the finished piece. It's going to be absolutely stunning.

Spicysteve
09-13-2018, 06:57 PM
Oh my gosh!!! It is turning out wonderfully, can’t wait to hear it. The arm bevel turned out beautiful and the binding with red purfling on the fretboard is fabulous.

hollisdwyer
09-13-2018, 07:07 PM
Another LdfM masterpiece. One day maybe I can have a strum.

DownUpDave
09-14-2018, 12:07 PM
@ Osprey...Hey Cliff the arm rest building process is very involved and I find it interesting as well. It looks like it just grows out of the body

@ Ken2018... Thank you for the nice compliments, you have a great eye for detail. Luis puts a lot of thought into the design and details. There are somethings he refuses to do because they either don't look right or effect the sound. But he is flexible and likes a challenge

@ Spicy Steve...Thanks Steve it is turning out even better than initially conceived. As things evolve changes or little touches are made.

@ Hollis....I sure wish you lived closer. You could play this and any one of my other ukes

Ukulele Eddie
09-14-2018, 12:54 PM
Lookin' good, DownUpDave!

DownUpDave
09-23-2018, 01:07 PM
The neck is carved to final shape. It has been fitted and everything is as it should be. A complete final sanding, removal of the neck, it is a bolt on, then the finishing process starts. This will be the final post in this thread.

Thanks to everyone that followed along and commented. It is always fun sharing in the building process as we all learn something. Plus we all love pictures and Luis is very generous with them. When it is in my hands I will do a NUD to show the finished product and a bit of a suprise.

SoloRule
09-23-2018, 01:15 PM
Will it be ready on Sept 29 when Lapyang ( Joseph ) is here?

DownUpDave
09-23-2018, 03:29 PM
Will it be ready on Sept 29 when Lapyang ( Joseph ) is here?

No. Luis has not started applying the multiple coats of lacquer yet. Probably at least three weeks before I can touch it.

Spicysteve
09-23-2018, 06:11 PM
So appreciate being able to follow along with the build of your Super Tenor Dave.
Anxiously awaiting your NUD. :cool:

Kenn2018
09-24-2018, 10:58 AM
Following your build has been fascinating. Learned a lot. Can't wait to see how the lacquer will reveal the full beauty of the woods. It's gonna be a stunner, that's for sure. Oh, and please thank Luis for allowing us all to see these photos of his wonderful build.