Fingerpicking Confussion

johnnysmash

Reaction score
Every time I look at a vidio or written explanation on fingerpicking it is always pattern style. Is the fingerpicking where one picks the melody and one or two accompanying notes also called fingerpicking or something else?

On guitar I played, learning to play, a single note melody with alternating base notes. What is done on ukulele?

Fingerpicking is just the general term for picking/plucking individual strings with your fingers (as opposed to strumming).
This can be for melodies, or arpeggio chords (picking individual notes of chords) or playing both melody and arpeggio, etc.

Most (if not all) principles that apply to guitar apply to ukuleles too, except ukulele has fewer strings (therefore different patterns) and also different tunings (eg: re-entrant or low-4th tuning, which would also affect the patterns). The general principles stay the same - you can play as simple as you want, or as complex as you want:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k

Every time I look at a vidio or written explanation on fingerpicking it is always pattern style. Is the fingerpicking where one picks the melody and one or two accompanying notes also called fingerpicking or something else?

On guitar I played, learning to play, a single note melody with alternating base notes. What is done on ukulele?

Funny, but the same thing confused me when I started looking into fingerpicking. It's most commonly picking three or four strings while holding down chords. Of course, it could also mean playing the tune itself. A member of our group is very good at that.

I get confused, too. My current understanding is:

"Fingerpicking" is, as kissing says, a general term for right-hand technique. I often fingerpick when playing chords, and sometimes throw in a few notes of melody or riffs or something.

"Fingerstyle" describes playing the melody and accompanying notes. I assume when you play "fingerstyle" you also "fingerpick" but I am not entirely sure about that.

There are as many variations of these techniques as there are players. Therefore I do not expect the terminology to be universal or precise. The OP asked "what is done on ukulele?" and the answer is: anything you want.

As said above, finger picking is basically the term used for anything else that isn't strumming.

Fingerstyle is usually referring to chords & melody, but can also cover just playing the melody, similar to flat picking in the guitar world, whether you use a pick or just your finger/thumb.

But, anything goes on the uke. :)

So Chord Melody is just another style of fingerpicking. Maybe the best since melody and harmony are both present. I guess struming and pattern playing are still best when accompanied by a vocalist.

. . . . . It's most commonly picking three or four strings while holding down chords. Of course, it could also mean playing the tune itself. A member of our group is very good at that.

Is a link to that person possible for listening purposes?

I'm more inclined to put fingerstyle in the Jake or John King camp.

An example of fingerpicking, to accompanying vocals, was Dust in the Wind played on a guitar(s). I'm sure there are better examples out there, especially for the ukulele, but that was the first thing that came to mind.

John

Even playing scales is fingerpicking.

Top Bottom