DVD - Ukulele Tunes & Techniques - Hawaiian &...

hotnanas

Reaction score
So, my first ukulele was purchased for me by my girlfriend back in Christmas of 2006. Along with this ukulele she gave me the DVD: Ukulele Tunes & Techniques - Hawaiian & American Styles taught by Bob Brozman.

So, later that Christmas Day, I tossed the DVD into the player and boy was it overwhelming! This is definitely not a DVD for the beginner! So I didn't play the uke for an entire year, until the following Christmas when my brother got a Kamaka from my parents, and he taught me a few chords! Well, I got hooked, but this isn't supposed to be my story with the uke.

Well now that I have gained a few months of real experience on the uke, I thought I could get through the DVD.

WRONG!

Once again, this is definitely not a beginner's DVD. In fact, It may be a few years before I can actually be taught by Bob Brozman and this DVD.

I guess this is really just a rant, because the DVD is still on and the uke is now on the coffee table...this guy is just way too fast...i need a super dumbed down version to learn from.

[/rant]

i'd be willing to trade off...this one is way too far ahead of me...

in fact...this might be the start of a pass it on (pay it forward) type thread!

Last edited:
Try Jake's video, "Play Loud Uke"....thanks, e.lo..... Since I've already gone thru it, how about sending me your DVD and I'll send you mine... www.erlowther@aol.com

thats a good beginners video n he starts the technique off slow then finish off fast

that's what I need...30 seconds into the video he had already finished the roll strum (pinky, ring, middle, pointer, and sometimes thumb!) and the 3-roll (middle finger down, pointer up, middle up) and then started jamming out banjo style...

If you want to swap out DVD's E-Lo, shoot me an email

email icon \/

Last edited:
Bob Brozman is something else. He got some videos on youtube where he does everything on the guitar......rhythm to bass hitting on the body.

Bob Brozman is a hero of mine. He's one of the reasons I play the uke.

I love the DVD. I agree it's not a beginners DVD. And, I have to admit, I haven't learnt a single one of the tunes on it. But everytime I watch it I get hugely inspired and find new ideas for techniques and arrangements that I can use in my own playing. I think that's far more valuable than learning a few tunes.

I did a full review of the DVD here:

Review: Bob Brozman’s Ukulele Tunes & Techniques

Your review was pretty spot on with my feelings. I need like a Sesame Street Teaches Ukulele video!

I can't wait to swap out the Jake vid...and then maybe one day get back to Bob Brozman!

Great review Woodshed! I too love Mr. Brozman's work; he is a great inspiration. I agree that his DVDs often move straight to the "Advanced Techniques" section without addressing the basics. That said, I have his Lapstyle Blues DVDs and they are some of the best instructional materials for dobro and weissenborn that I own. I am going to have to get his ukulele DVD one of these days!

Oh, I'm a big fan of Bob. I bought his Hawaiian Lapsteel DVD. I don't even play lapsteel. He's a true musician, though. And he's a musical philosopher.

sorry, I got really sick over the end of last week and weekend, and forgot totally about sending this out...I'll get it out to ya tomorror E-Lo

ya that dvd is really advanced.

i got through the first song a couple months ago, but it is still really hard to play right.

im kindof "iffy" about bob. its not that hes not a good musician, he just doesnt play my kind of music. he just plays it really fast and thats pretty much it. i havent seen him play with to much heart or anything.

but he is really fast.

i just dont like all of the super fast stuff he does.

I also really, really dig Brozman's work. His Bottleneck Blues Guitar DVDs have been really great for me. I have this DVD, too, and I really enjoy it and find it valuable... probably more for technique than learning tunes. That's OK for me because my main focus is songwriting and performing my own stuff. Regardless of that, though, I have to think that this DVD is intended for people who are already intermediate to advanced guitar players. I think that Bob is assuming his audience has been playing ukulele for a while and wants to now focus on mastering Hawaiian, ragtime, and blues styles. So, yeah... not for a beginner, and ideally for someone who already plays guitar.

I would highly recommend this video for anyone interested in learning more about Bob's philosophy... he's really a great man and a great artist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oPXRWRxda8

Top Bottom