PDA

View Full Version : Southcoast String suspending sales indefinitely...

ukulelecowboy
07-12-2018, 05:12 PM
Hi All,

Just received this bulletin from Dirk Wormhoudt at Southcoast Strings:

Serious health issues are forcing us to suspend string sales and there is little hope for them to resume.

As a result, we will need to refund orders currently in process. Please do not go to the website to place additional orders as they will be refunded as well.

it has been very satisfying over the last decade to supply you with strings and we hope to have made your ukulele life a bit brighter at the same time.

I don't have any more information than this.

This came as a shock as I have been using his Linear Non-Wound Low G strings on my Baritones for the last decade.

Question: Any recommendations on a suitable replacement set? Again, I'm looking for Baritone strings, Low G (GCEA) tuning with non-wound bass and treble strings.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Strumdaddy
07-12-2018, 05:24 PM
Just heard about this down in Australia.
All the best Dirk - thanks for the fabulous strings, and great service.
You have been a bright, helpful light.
Hope the health problems improve.

Jim Hanks
07-12-2018, 05:39 PM
Oh man, that is very sad news, especially for Dirk, but also for the ukulele community. Southcoast has been my go-to brand for years. Best wishes for better news Dirk. :(

Patrick Madsen
07-12-2018, 06:06 PM
My baritone order may have been one of the last orders sent out. this is terrible news. Get better Dirk!

Briangriffinukuleles
07-12-2018, 06:48 PM
Darn, what great strings, and what a knowledgeable, helpful and friendly guy. Hoping your health will improve Dirk. Thanks for the years of wonderful service, your sharing of knowledge and the very best of strings.

bearbike137
07-12-2018, 07:00 PM
Wow - I literally just had him ship me five sets of his MU-NW strings. And I don't even know if I will use them (due to a recent change in my set-up)! Sorry to hear that.

JJFN
07-12-2018, 08:05 PM
Sorry to hear this Dirk is a nice guy and a fountain of knowledge. He has forgotten more about strings than most of us will ever know. And he had a tremendous product. I wish him well.

drbekken
07-12-2018, 08:19 PM
Dirk Wormhoudt has been one of the kindest, most supportive people I have dealt with in the ukulele world. My fingers are crossed for his recovery. Southcoast strings are by far my favourites, especially the EFS set up for the guitalele/guilele/kiku; a brilliant invention that has made that little guitar one of my instruments for improv and recordings. I will be forever grateful. Now, get well, Dirk!

JoeJazz2000
07-12-2018, 11:29 PM
I'll need advice for choosing suitable substitutes for the wonderful nonwound low tension low G strings for my tenor. I learned so much about strings from South Coast, and the customer service was the best. I wish them the best.
Joe

dsummers
07-12-2018, 11:49 PM
I had the pleasure of dealing with Dirk in 2009 or 2010 when I purchased one of his Southcoast soprano concert scale ukes (cedar top/nance back sides). Great guy to deal with and very responsive to any questions I had thru the process. He will be in my prayers that his health issues will improve.

DownUpDave
07-12-2018, 11:56 PM
Wow this is shocking news. As others have stated Dirk was one of a kind, so helpful, generous and genuine. A true gentleman and great ambassador of the ukulele industry and community. I wish him all the best and hope he triumphs over his health issues.

His HML-WB are my go to string, I have them on 5 tenors and a super concert. They will be tough to replace but Dirk the man will be even tougher to replace. He will be in my thoughts and prayers.

EDW
07-13-2018, 12:32 AM
Sad news. It is always difficult to hear when life takes a bad turn for someone. In the musical sense, Dirk offered a great product, a very unique service and a wealth of knowledge.

dkcrown
07-13-2018, 12:57 AM
I got the same email notification too. I don't know of anyone who is more passionate about the science of strings for the ukulele. Thank you Dirk for your knowledge and years of service. Wishing you the best in your recovery.

ukebebop
07-13-2018, 01:02 AM
Sad to hear this news from Dirk. His deep knowledge of the history and workings of ukulele, and his enthusiasm for the art of ukulele has contributed so much to my enjoyment of music. I have read his website many times and always found it informative and extremely helpful. I have used only his strings for some years now. While you're attending to what you need to do your contribution will be missed Dirk.
ukebebop from Australia.

Nickie
07-13-2018, 01:32 AM
I never got to meet Dirk, but I too learned so much from him. I enjoy his writings very much. I had a set of Southcoast strings on one uke, unfortunately I didn't get to keep that uke. But the strings sounded and felt great.
Southcoast will be missed, this is a hard hit to the ukulele world.....

Doc_J
07-13-2018, 01:50 AM
Hope Dirk can regain his health. Very sad to see SouthCoast suspend their string business. Hope this is temporary.

kvehe
07-13-2018, 01:54 AM
Such sad news. Best wishes to Dirk; his strings are the best.

stevejfc
07-13-2018, 02:10 AM
All the best to Dirk and those at SouthCoast. Great guy, great strings.

Jerryc41
07-13-2018, 02:54 AM
Too bad, especially when health is the reason.

Osprey
07-13-2018, 03:05 AM
I got the email from SouthCoast this morning. It was a shock. Not only did Dirk put together a large variety of string sets, the education and customer service he provided was un-matched. I wish him all the best in his health battles and will miss SouthCoast Srrings a bunch.

JJFN
07-13-2018, 04:29 AM
I'll need advice for choosing suitable substitutes for the wonderful nonwound low tension low G strings for my tenor. I learned so much about strings from South Coast, and the customer service was the best. I wish them the best.
Joe

Try Living Water's they are great strings with an unwound low G string.

flyingace
07-13-2018, 05:55 AM
I saw this as well and am so sad for Dirk and his family that they have to endure these terrible times. less importantly, of course, Iím also sad to lose his strings. They are all I have been using since 2014 on multiple ukes and his kindness, helpfulness and superior quality is hard to lose! I wish him only the best!

Joyful Uke
07-13-2018, 06:34 AM
Hoping for good health for Dirk & family. Best wishes, & thanks for your contributions to our ukulele world.

cdkrugjr
07-13-2018, 06:39 AM
That indeed came as a shock.

Dirk has incredible knowledge of strings and ukes, and had the best customer service I've ever experienced.

Praying for a speedy recovery.

Strumdaddy
07-13-2018, 08:28 PM
Thanks also Dirk for your many thoughtful contributions to this forum

hollisdwyer
07-14-2018, 06:26 AM
Just heard about this today from a member of my busking group. What a shock and what a loss this will be to those very passionate players who searched for the best strings for their instruments. Dirks website is a treasure trove of information that I never saw anywhere else. I pray his health issues resolve themselves successfully.

Kimosabe
07-15-2018, 11:22 AM
Wonderful person and resource. Best wishes

mountain goat
07-16-2018, 01:44 PM
Dirk Wormhoudt has been one of the kindest, most supportive people I have dealt with in the ukulele world. My fingers are crossed for his recovery. Southcoast strings are by far my favourites, especially the EFS set up for the guitalele/guilele/kiku; a brilliant invention that has made that little guitar one of my instruments for improv and recordings. I will be forever grateful. Now, get well, Dirk!

love you Dirk.
you have been and continue to be an incredible support and friend to me
over these years, and a goldmine of information and help to members here -
and also turned me onto music and performers that have etched themselves into my soul;
never would have discovered them otherwise.
wishing you better, stronger times ahead brother.

ukuleleabe
07-16-2018, 04:18 PM
Hoping, wishing, and praying for a quick recovery for you, Dirk!

hmgberg
08-13-2018, 01:33 PM
Got word from Sheldra Wormhoudt today that Dirk passed away on July 24th. As has been said by others, Dirk was very knowledgable and generous with his knowledge. He was an enthusiastic supporter of this community. He will be deeply missed.

Snargle
08-13-2018, 01:48 PM
Damn...very sorry to hear that. My condolences to his family and friends. :(

gitarzan
08-15-2018, 01:51 AM
Got word from Sheldra Wormhoudt today that Dirk passed away on July 24th. As has been said by others, Dirk was very knowledgable and generous with his knowledge. He was an enthusiastic supporter of this community. He will be deeply missed.

Iím very sorry to read that. I dealt with him a couple times and found Dirk to be considerate and to have a great product.

Mattyukaholic
08-16-2018, 01:55 AM
So sorry to hear this. Dirk was a great guy.

MolegripVonMousetrouser
09-23-2018, 02:23 AM

Oh! I have only just seen this update! I am so sorry to hear this! Such very sad news!

Please would you pass on my condolences if you have the opportunity? I was about to email Dirk again to ask how he was, then I remembered this thread on UU so I thought I would check here first.

In case anyone have not already heard it, Dirk was interviewed for this Uke Chat Podcast some years ago.

It was real delight to stumble across it at the time. Lovely to discover what Dirk's voice sounded like, quite as much as to listen to what he had to say.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ukechat/2011/03/26/uke-chat

Best wishes,
Liz Panton