PDA

View Full Version : No Southcoast so what now?

Patrick Madsen
07-16-2018, 12:55 PM
After so many years of using only Southcoast strings on my tenors and baritones, I'm at a loss where to start looking for another high tension wound 3&4 string set. I trust many are thinking the same thing.

Suggestions for tenor and baritone string sets would be greatly appreciated. I trust i'm not the only one wondering the same thing.

I'm not looking forward searching for strings again after finding Southcoast so many years ago. I pray Dirk gets better and well enough to start up the company again.

Jim Hanks
07-16-2018, 01:44 PM
I'm not looking forward searching for strings again after finding Southcoast so many years ago. I pray Dirk gets better and well enough to start up the company again.
I wonder if Dirk might do a Mya Moe and sell the company so someone else could carry on the tradition.

DownUpDave
07-16-2018, 01:59 PM
I am a HUGE fan of his wound 3rd and 4th. The 4th can successfully be replaced with a Fremont Soloist but nothing and I mean nothing replaces his wound 3rd. Because it is phosphorus bronze like the 4th it balances perfectly. I have tried many brands to replace his wound third, the best balance and there is a difference in tone is using the Thomastik CF27. I actually have it paired with Fremont Soloist on two tenors and a super concert. Hope that helps Patrick.

ukuleleabe
07-16-2018, 03:54 PM
Oh no! I hadn't heard. Those are my favorite strings by far. :(

No idea where to start looking for new strings.

Patrick Madsen
07-16-2018, 05:47 PM
I hope so too Jim. It would be nice to see all his hard work and effort carried on.

That helps alot Dave. I imagine sometype of classical guitar sgtrings would work for the baritones. Thankfully, I have 4 sets of Dirks HL-WB's that'll last awhile.

Patrick Madsen
07-16-2018, 08:40 PM
What 1&2 are you using? I think last time I tried that 3&4 combo I used Oasis or had a couple of S/C 1&2.

DownUpDave
07-17-2018, 02:29 AM
What 1&2 are you using? I think last time I tried that 3&4 combo I used Oasis or had a couple of S/C 1&2.

Depending on the tone I want, Oasis warm or bright and Worth CT have all worked well. Also single strings available in many different diameters by Savarez and Pyramid from String by Mail are a great option and cost effective.

Booli
07-17-2018, 06:53 AM
While Southcoast will be missed, other options are readily available...

There are at least a dozen different companies that offer packaged uke strings, and several different gauged sets made by each, but Worth has the most options...so LOTS of choices remain...

see here:
https://www.stringsbymail.com/ukulele-strings-684/

and here:
https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/ukelele.html

IIRC Living Water strings can only be had either from Ken Middleton direct or via Uke Republic...

Also, Fremont Blacklines only from HMS, Elderly and Uke Republic...

bearbike137
07-17-2018, 10:24 AM
I am a big fan of both Worth Clears and Martin strings for my tenors. I find that some combination of the two will cover every tenor for me.

Jim Hanks
07-17-2018, 11:13 AM
While Southcoast will be missed, other options are readily available...

There are at least a dozen different companies that offer packaged uke strings, and several different gauged sets made by each, but Worth has the most options...so LOTS of choices remain...
True, but other than the excellent strings themselves, what I have loved most about SC is all the research and experimentation that went into selecting gauges and materials for tensions and tunings for various scale lengths. That degree of precision and knowledge really is available nowhere else.

EDW
07-17-2018, 11:39 AM
Southcoast always did great research to help the user make choices. They made it a lot easier than trying countless sets of strings.

mmfitzsimons
07-17-2018, 01:50 PM
Dirk has had a profound impact on the way I and many people think about strings.

I shall be playing Thomastik Infeld .30 and .27, paired with Oasis Warm G first and second strings (the Chuck Moore blend).... but I still have a set of Southcoasts left. :)

Booli
07-17-2018, 06:14 PM
True, but other than the excellent strings themselves, what I have loved most about SC is all the research and experimentation that went into selecting gauges and materials for tensions and tunings for various scale lengths. That degree of precision and knowledge really is available nowhere else.

Yes, Jim this is very true. I have learned a lot from Dirk's info myself.

Hopefully the web site will stay up so others can read and learn from all of the great info that has been published there by Dirk.

hollisdwyer
07-17-2018, 07:55 PM
Concur with Dave. I am now using the Thomason Enfeld chrome flat wounds on my BH Tenor and Hoffmann Bari. Not as bright as the SC or Fremont but they feel wonderful under the fingers and I think that they are going to be more durable. Also, as I alway play amp’ed nowadays, I can tweak the final sonic profile.

southcoastukes
08-01-2018, 12:49 PM
My husband Dirk Wormhoudt, Founder/Owner of Southcoast lost his battle against cancer on 24 July, 2018. As many of you have commented, he loved the service and product he provided to some many.

Sheldra Wormhoudt

Booli
08-01-2018, 12:56 PM
My husband Dirk Wormhoudt, Founder/Owner of Southcoast lost his battle against cancer on 24 July, 2018. As many of you have commented, he loved the service and product he provided to some many.

Sheldra Wormhoudt

WOW. OMG. This is very sad news.

Thank you very much for coming to UU and letting us know. This must have been difficult to do during this time and is much appreciated.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Dirk will be missed by so many folks here on UU.

At least he is at peace now.

DownUpDave
08-01-2018, 12:56 PM
I am so sorry for your lose. Dirk was greatly loved around here and in the entire ukulele community. Thank you for sharing this news with us. God Bless

mds725
08-01-2018, 01:07 PM

Sheldra Wormhoudt

Sheldra, I'm so sorry for your loss. I only dealt with Dirk a little bit, but I always looked forward to and enjoyed his posts here at Ukulele Underground and his newsletter emails. I hope you are able to find comfort in knowing that Dirk was loved and respected by the UU community and that our collective sense of loss at his passing is profound. Dirk, rest in Aloha.

DPO
08-01-2018, 01:16 PM

Sheldra Wormhoudt

My sincerest condolences.

Ukulelerick9255
08-01-2018, 01:17 PM
That’s what I’ve been using for a while and tuning down a half step also sounds amazing

Jim Hanks
08-01-2018, 01:18 PM
Wow. Just wow. :(

SoloRule
08-01-2018, 03:34 PM

Sheldra Wormhoudt

Dirk contacted me and mailed me a set of experimental strings around the fall of 2016. I will never forget his kindness ! He was so easy to talk to.
This is a huge huge loss to our community ! My sincere condolences to you and your family !
Thank you for taking your time to post it here.

Brenda from Canada

greenie44
08-01-2018, 04:15 PM
Reposting what I wrote on Facebook -

So sorry to hear this. I called him out of the blue once when I was in New Orleans and asked if he sold his strings from a store there. He told me know but invited me over to his house. What followed was an incredible 3 hours of in depth talk on strings, ukes and all sorts of other things. It was amazing. And Dirk insisted on showing me around town afterwards. You are right - he will be missed.

sam13
08-01-2018, 04:52 PM
So sad to hear of Dirk’s passing.

I enjoyed our discussions regarding tone and strings sets.

My heartfelt condolences to you and those he loved.

PereBourik
08-01-2018, 06:21 PM

Sheldra Wormhoudt

May he rest in peace and rise in glory. I pray comfort for you and all who miss him.

Patrick Madsen
08-01-2018, 08:42 PM
It feels like I've lost a good friend. He worked up to the last. I placed an order the night before his announcement and received them a week later. His patience taking the time to educate others in string resonance always was noted by anyone who had contact with him. We're gonna miss you Dirk. Thanks for the great strings.

Osprey
08-02-2018, 03:49 AM

Sheldra Wormhoudt

I am so sorry to read this. Well, I only bought a handful of string sets from Southcoast, Dirk was always helpful and generous with his advice. I really feel he cared for the ukulele community and wanted to contribute. He certainly achieved that. He will be missed.

Condolences for your loss. Please know that he was well liked and respected.

Cliff

JJFN
08-02-2018, 10:19 AM

Sheldra Wormhoudt

Dear Sheldra, I am sorry to hear of Dirk's passing. I always enjoyed going back and forth with him on any number of subjects besides ukulele strings. My deepest sympathies, Jim Nugent AKA JJFN

Doc_J
08-04-2018, 02:29 AM

Sheldra Wormhoudt

Thank you for letting us know of Dirk's passing. I hope the joy that Dirk brought to so many of us, brings you some comfort. Dirk is and will continue to be missed.

stevejfc
08-04-2018, 03:21 AM

Sheldra Wormhoudt

Sheldra,
Truly sorry for your loss. Dirk was a great guy who I enjoyed talking with on several occasions. My condolences to you and all your family.

igorthebarbarian
08-04-2018, 08:05 PM
This is truly saddening. I am sorry for his family's loss. Dirk seemed like a great guy, and someone who was always extremely knowledgeable about tunings, strings, and resonance. He will be missed :(

ukebebop
08-04-2018, 10:51 PM
Sheldra, Very sorry to hear of Dirk's passing. He was obviously a man of considerable substance.

mimmo
08-04-2018, 10:56 PM
Sheldra,
I would like to joint my shelf with all the guys there: I always had very good relationship with him and Southcoast ukuleles.
We started a few years ago with a collaboration about strings and I felt myshelf proud to be usefull in some manner to Dirk.
We are all togheter you
Alhoa
Mimmo, Aquilastrings owner, Italy

ukuleleabe
08-05-2018, 09:24 PM

Sheldra Wormhoudt

Oh my goodness...

My sincerest condolences.

Dirk will be greatly missed by the ukulele community.

Briangriffinukuleles
08-06-2018, 07:50 PM
How sad, I just now read of his passing. He made me feel like an old friend when we corresponded about strings. What a great guy. We shall all miss him. He did business the way business should be done.

drbekken
08-08-2018, 02:21 AM

Sheldra Wormhoudt

This is just so very sad. Peace and Love to you, Sheldra, and may Dirk rest in peace.

CTurner
08-08-2018, 04:51 AM
So sorry to hear of Dirk's passing. My condolences to you and your family.

FiL
08-09-2018, 02:40 AM
Dirk was one-of-a-kind, and his loss will be felt by many in the uke community. My condolences to Sheldra and all who loved him.

- FiL