PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable action

AndrewKuker
07-17-2018, 09:37 AM
I give Luis the freedom to do whatever he wants on custom for us and this is one on the way, thought it was kind of interesting. We used to carry Babicz guitars that had a similar system but this is the first I've seen on uke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eop2X8o-RKA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eop2X8o-RKA

Pirate Jim
07-17-2018, 10:59 AM
That's just fantastic.

Nickie
07-17-2018, 11:02 AM
Wow! What'll they think of next? I'd say that's revolutionary...

Jim Hanks
07-17-2018, 11:07 AM
Even after watching it, I can't quite figure out how that works. :confused:
Fascinating idea though

Michael N.
07-17-2018, 11:10 AM
Although nothing new. Adjustable necks (and action) goes way back to around 1830 'ish using a clock key. Made a few myself.

Nickie
07-17-2018, 11:11 AM
Even after watching it, I can't quite figure out how that works. :confused:
Fascinating idea though

Jim, I don't care if I figure it out, I just want one! What a cool gimmick!

Lapyang
07-17-2018, 11:32 AM
It is eye opening! However, one would hope you don't have to adjust the action too often.

Allen
07-18-2018, 08:37 PM
I built several guitars with adjustable necks. I can see the benefit to them as the tension is so much greater and it's pretty much a given that body geometry is going to change over time and require a neck reset. However for a ukulele, that's going to significantly add to the complexity of the build with not much benefit in my opinion.

And what happens when the owner starts mucking around so much that they stuff things up?

DownUpDave
07-18-2018, 11:36 PM
It is eye opening! However, one would hope you don't have to adjust the action too often.

I had the pleasure of recording this for Luis, I also played the instrument. The idea is to be able to set the action height to what you personally prefer, most would set it and leave it there. You could adjust the height higher for low tension strings or lower for high tension strings. If you wanted to play slide you could set it higher, as usually is the case. So you can tweek it or just find your sweet spot and leave it.

AndrewKuker
07-19-2018, 11:58 PM
I built several guitars with adjustable necks. I can see the benefit to them as the tension is so much greater and it's pretty much a given that body geometry is going to change over time and require a neck reset. However for a ukulele, that's going to significantly add to the complexity of the build with not much benefit in my opinion.

And what happens when the owner starts mucking around so much that they stuff things up?

You tell me. You built several.