Info Wanted: Pono ULN Terz Guitar (Nylon String)

I've got the 4 string mahogany version on the way (UL4N-2) - it's a shorter scale but I can post my thoughts when I've got it if it'd be helpful? My clear out keeps having set backs :D

I have a 6 string nylon of that style made by fellow Uke underground member Thomas. The sound is so unexpected considering the size. It’s a very old style. Cordova makes some custom models at $$$$. I know someone who has one and it sounds quite good. Of course it helps that he is more than a very good player and is well known for his Uke and guitar playing. The only ones I’ve played were more expensive than what you’re looking at but the unusual shape makes for a nice sound.

I have a 4 string model tuned DGBE which sounds big and full compared to a re-entrant tuned tenor ukulele. I like re-entrant tuning on my ukuleles so having a linear tuned instrument is nice. I also like having the lower register which I think compliments the ukulele quite nicely.
one major advantage to the 4 string model is all the chord shapes transfer with no problem. the disadvantage is that occasionally it may take a moment to remember the correct shape for a particular chord in each tuning. most of the time it's not a problem and when it does occur, it only takes a few seconds to resolve.

this is the model I have, except it was called BN-30D:

https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop...one-rosewood-spruce-baritone-nui-bn-30sp.html

I own the steel string version of the Pono UL guitar and have been involved as a customer in developing a four string version of this (steel string baritone or tenor guitar). I love the size of this model: big enough for a full sound, but very comfortable to play due to its small size. Personally, I prefer the shorter scale of the steel string version (21.4") over the 23" scale of the nylon version. I have asked John Kitakis from Pono to make a nylon version with a shorter scale, i.e. 21.4", or even a baritone body with a 19" scale, but he wanted to be able to tune to regular guitar tuning (E-E) and he felt that 23" is the shortest possible scale for this. I'm sure a baritone sized guitalele from Pono would be awesome and still hope they will introduce such a model one day.

Top Bottom