PDA

View Full Version : It's just about enjoyment. Innit?

S11LKO
07-20-2018, 05:00 AM
I've spent a lazy morning looking at guitar & uke videos on YouTube with my brother in law.
He's non-musical and doesn't play ANY instrument at all.

He commented about the MANY 'unsigned but brilliant' players around the world and the fact that the vast majority played both instruments FAR better than I do or probably ever will be able to do.

He asked me if I found that frustrating.

I answered:
'Only in the way that I would LOVE to be able to do what they can do. But then there are many that have said to me that they'd love to be able
to play like *I* can. It's all a matter of perspective. It doesn't matter if you are a virtuoso or can just knock out a few basic chords. The main thing is that we love making music - to whatever our level of play - and that we ENJOY doing it and it gives us pleasure and that watching those more proficient inspires us on to keep practicing and becoming better ourselves.'

And enjoying listening to and playing our music is the most important thing. Innit?

Thoughts?

bearbike137
07-20-2018, 05:23 AM
Quite honestly, going all the way back to when I was very young, I have always found a strange peace and tranquility in having my hands around a stringed instrument. It quiets my soul and brings me joy. That joy has never been affected by the quality of my playing (though I will admit it can be affected by the quality of the instrument!). I play fairly well - there are many who play better. However, I enjoy their playing. That said - I enjoy nothing more than sitting and losing myself in wood and strings.

DownUpDave
07-20-2018, 06:10 AM
Your brother in law showed his ignorance (used in the proper term, not an insult) about playing a instrument. As bearbike said it is the peace and tranquility playing an instrument brings that is the reward. I can get completely lost in the playing and loose track of time and of myself. Would I like to be a much better player ......of course, and I do strive to improve. But picking up an instrument and noddling around on it at my kitchen table is as enjoyable to me as anything.

Croaky Keith
07-20-2018, 06:18 AM
Just getting a tune out of an instrument is one up on someone who can't. :p

I only 'play' for my own enjoyment, I don't really care what others think - & that is probably just as well. :smileybounce:

kohanmike
07-20-2018, 06:40 AM
I played rhythm guitar for almost 50 years, never became advanced, but always enjoyed doing it. A number of people said I was very good, but compared to one of my best friends, and later to my nephew, I was barely intermediate. Then I started playing ukulele and my guitar experience made it rather easy to transition, I actually enjoyed playing even more.

I almost immediately joined a seniors group of about 60 people and many consider me an advanced player, but I only do rhythm, no finger picking, so compared to the leader of the group, Cali Rose (and her husband Craig Brandau), I'm again maybe intermediate. I also recently started playing with a group of acoustic players in a park on Sundays, some are very accomplished, and I keep up as best as I can.

I've seen Jake online and live, participated in seminars and workshops with Jason Arimoto, Daniel Ho, Del Rey, Kris Fuchigami, Sarah Maisel, Fred Sokolow, so I know what a great player is. I'm certainly not one, but I love playing now more than ever, especially because with the group I get to play gigs, including for kids in UCLA/Mattel Children's Hospital in conjunction with The Ukulele Kids Club, and give them ukuleles.

Since I've taken up the uke 5 years ago, I haven't touched my guitars, the uke gives me far more pleasure.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos)

Bill Sheehan
07-20-2018, 07:29 AM
Great thread! So much of what has been expressed here is right in line with my own experience. I started playing when I was 12, and I'm 65 now. There was a time when my focus was on trying to develop lightning-fast technical chops, and that led to a lot of frustration because, even though I may have worked and practiced to the point that my playing was pretty competent, the fact is, no amount of practice or dedication was ever going to make me as good as those players whom we regard as the "primo" players. After I finally accepted that fact, I decided to adopt a different perspective-- instead of griping about what I couldn't do, I would step back, assess what I COULD do, and focus on doing THAT in the best way that I possibly can. With the uke, that has become picking out songs that I grew up loving, working out solo rhythm arrangements of them with nice chord voicings, and in a key that fits my vocal range, and strive to make them "work" as tasteful versions of those songs, presented with one uke and one voice. It's a challenge to pull that off, just as it's a different kind of challenge to develop super-fast soloing skills, but I am now in my "wheelhouse" and enjoying it immensely, rather than bemoaning that which I cannot do.

Graham Greenbag
07-20-2018, 07:45 AM
Your brother in law showed his ignorance (used in the proper term, not an insult) about playing a instrument. As bearbike said it is the peace and tranquility playing an instrument brings that is the reward. I can get completely lost in the playing and loose track of time and of myself. Would I like to be a much better player ......of course, and I do strive to improve. But picking up an instrument and noddling around on it at my kitchen table is as enjoyable to me as anything.

:agree:

S11LKO must have a wonderful wife or something ‘cause it otherwise just doesn’t seem worthwhile, we’ll in my evaluation, to put up with such a Brother-in-Law. To my mind said Brither-in-Law is lacking in something and if he has a Compass in life that he follows then it’s pointing in the wrong direction.

In all things we do in life few of us become the very best and we get our head around that fact or become very unhappy. So it is with playing an instrument, I’m never going to sound as good Jake or the chap who taught me how to play - who also will never sound as good as Jake but still is a cracking player - but that doesn’t worry me one bit. In life strive to be the best you can reasonably be; accept that level and take pleasure in your achievement - it’s OK to fail at things (if you’ve tried) and it’s OK not to be the best.

acmespaceship
07-20-2018, 08:05 AM
As musicians we have a special advantage over most of our fellow mortals. We understand that it's the journey, not the destination. Music doesn't even have a final destination. :cool:

Croaky Keith
07-20-2018, 08:13 AM
...... We understand that it's the journey, not the destination........ :cool:

Very true....& in my case, just learning to play a variety of instruments, to even a very basic level, has increased my personal enjoyment of life.....never will I be a great player, there just isn't that much time in my life left. ;)

kkimura
07-20-2018, 08:35 AM
I also will never be a great player. However, I do have a great time playing.

Jerryc41
07-20-2018, 08:57 AM
I've spent a lazy morning looking at guitar & uke videos on YouTube with my brother in law.

He commented about the MANY 'unsigned but brilliant' players around the world and the fact that the vast majority played both instruments FAR better than I do or probably ever will be able to do.

I answered:
'Only in the way that I would LOVE to be able to do what they can do. But then there are many that have said to me that they'd love to be able
to play like *I* can. It's all a matter of perspective. It doesn't matter if you are a virtuoso or can just knock out a few basic chords. The main thing is that we love making music - to whatever our level of play - and that we ENJOY doing it and it gives us pleasure and that watching those more proficient inspires us on to keep practicing and becoming better ourselves.'

And enjoying listening to and playing our music is the most important thing. Innit?

Thoughts?

Good answer. If it ever got to the point where I had to practice and practice in order to please someone else, I'd give it up. This is for fun, not for impressing others.

S11LKO
07-20-2018, 09:08 AM
Wow! I never expected such a response! But I sincerely thank you all for taking the time.
It’s great to see that all us muso’s - at whatever level we play - have a similar mindset. I can identify so much with all of what you have said in your responses.

I personally don’t actually mind or take offence if someone doesn’t like my singing or plying - I do it for ME.
You can’t please everyone; after all, even the biggest, richest, most famous musical superstars have detractors who don’t like them. In my day those who loved The Beatles hated The Rolling Stones. Those who loved The Stones hated The Beatles. (Personally I enjoyed both! lol)

Having said that, if anyone DOES comment to me that they like something I’ve done (as I’ve been lucky to have had about a couple of my videos) of course I’m completely chuffed and smiling for the rest of the day - and I would assume the same applies to all of us here and ANYONE who enjoys playing.

Rllink
07-20-2018, 09:52 AM
Very interesting thread. I've been thinking about this very thing for a couple of weeks now and I almost started a similar thread but didn't. I do not measure myself by using someone else as a my yardstick. I just want to be me. Really good and dazzling players and performers inspire me. I love to watch them, they show me what can be done, but I don't get envious of it. I mean that is just silly. But the thing that I've been thinking a lot about is that I've reached my goals as a ukuele player and a performer, which was pretty much to entertain other people with my singing, my ukulele playing, and my wit, none of which I'm particularly dazzling at. I think that I'm not great, but I'm good enough. People come listen to me. So I am quite satisfied. So that is where I stand on it. So my point here is the satisfaction. Is there people like me who are pretty much satisfied with what they are doing, or does it always have to be about striving for more? Because at this point in my musical journey I don't have anything that I'm striving for. Except to get better at what I'm doing, and I figure that just comes over time.

ampeep
07-20-2018, 10:38 AM
Dave, your brother in law has an interesting perspective! If this was applied to other endeavors, would make no sense to play golf, basketball, paint, dance, auto cross, surf, ski cuz there are people waaaay better than you.

S11LKO
07-20-2018, 10:45 AM
Dave, your brother in law has an interesting perspective! If this was applied to other endeavors, would make no sense to play golf, basketball, paint, dance, auto cross, surf, ski cuz there are people waaaay better than you.

Haha ampeep - so true. We may as well sit brain dead in front of the TV and our favourite soap opera and just wait for our time in this mortal plain to end! lol

Seriously guys and girls, thanks sooooo much for ALL your responses. I'm so grateful to have found this site and all its fantastic members!! X

fowl
07-20-2018, 11:11 AM
I am not even a good player, just strum chords and have a great time. When people ask how good I am, I just say good enough to entertain my grandkids and myself.

ampeep
07-20-2018, 11:19 AM
Brain dead sitting in front of the TV - that's me!!

Anyway, Dave it's great that you come up with these interesting topics.

Regards,
Keith

Jo3x
07-20-2018, 11:28 AM

I answered:

Thoughts?

Though I'm not a musician and I almost have no musical knowledge. What I do believe is that: music is a way of communication. Only when you play the music yourself, you can communicate with the writer who wrote the music, even if the writer is already long gone. It's like when you're reading a book written hundreds of years ago, by reading the book you'll still be able to communicate with the author. It's also like a wormhole that connect two universes that are separated by time or by space, via which we can still communicate with people who are not near around. Everytime I start playing I'll be wondering in what circumstance, the writer can write those music, what feelings they were having, what stories they wanted to tell. It's lots of imaginations. Like said, imagination is more important than knowledge.

S11LKO
07-20-2018, 11:28 AM
Dave it's great that you come up with these interesting topics.

Regards,
Keith

Haha! Thanks Keith x

S11LKO
07-20-2018, 11:30 AM
Deep, jo3x...but y'know, I totally agree with you! X

70sSanO
07-20-2018, 04:19 PM
One day, decades ago, when I was a teenager I was moping around because I wasn't the best at anything I did. I always had a friend who could play basketball better, or surf better, or guitar, etc. I proceeded to name my friends who were better than me. My Mom suggested I mix up what I did with what friends. I looked at her and said that person doesn't do that, or this person can't this. She then said, Well then just be thankful you are able to do a lot of things well enough to enjoy them. I have carried that advice my whole life. So I play my ukulele like I do everything else... well enough to enjoy it.

John

ripock
07-20-2018, 04:50 PM
This topic,for me, is all about Grace Vanderwaal. All of us are better musicians than she is, but she's the millionaire; she's the one playing stadiums. Why? Because she takes the remedial I-IV-V progression and dumbs it down,and then totally commits to it. She is living in the moment and having fun. Everyone else should do the same thing.

kohanmike
07-20-2018, 05:43 PM
I don't see a reason to denigrate Grace for her success. I think she's a good musician, creative and shows how much fun playing a ukulele is, not "remedial" or "dumb it down" at all.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos)

ricdoug
07-20-2018, 07:27 PM
First off, I am a vocalist. i don't give a rat's arse about my above mediocre able to perform with stringed instruments, who most of my followers consider me to be a master! Ric

ukantor
07-20-2018, 10:30 PM
When I first moved to where I now live, there was a fella who was a regular in the local pub, and he played guitar and sang - let's call him Max. He was, by amateur standards, very good. The landlord kept a guitar behind the bar, and Max would play a few songs almost every night.

The pub was closed for major renovation, which took a couple of years. When it re-opened it was a different sort of place altogether, and I lost touch with Max and the other regulars.

A few years later I bumped into Max and asked him about his playing. He told me he didn't play, or sing, any more. He explained that since he discovered the internet, and youtube, he had realised that there are thousands of amateur players who are much better than he was, and he found it dispiriting. He felt as though anyone listening to him would be comparing him, unfavourably, with some earnest spotty youth they had seen online.

I found that [I]so[I] sad.

John Colter.

Graham Greenbag
07-20-2018, 10:37 PM

I answered:

Thoughts?

Sometimes the folk that question our values do so because they have none of their own to guide them. Of course questions are good, they enable us to check that what we do is giving the intended results and they also enable us to give guiding answers. Perhaps your Brother-in-Law might hear something that causes him to (if only slightly) question himself and then learn something.

Strumdaddy
07-21-2018, 05:46 PM
"No ke aloha i ka mele"
When I busk I put up a sign with that phrase, which - as far as I could work out without having access to a native speaker, means "for the love of song" (If anyone can finesse my Hawaiian, please do)
I fell in love with song as a kid. I remember loving Bee Gees songs, and Jose Feliciano's "Listen to the Falling Rain" on the radio; anything with a beautiful melody and a story that moves me. In fact songs are a great way to tell a story.
I've been in bands, led choirs, worked as a music therapist, performed solo etc, but I think it all started with a love of song. Playing songs is another way of appreciating them - from the inside out.
I play pretty well but there will always be people who are faster and more knowledgeable. I have been in many situations where playing less - or nothing at all is the more musical option. If you are having your own authentic relationship with music that's all that counts.
I must also throw in that I have always been on a journey of finding fine instruments to play - which is somehow related to the love of music, not entirely self-indulgence... I think!

S11LKO
07-21-2018, 09:52 PM
Again, this has proven to be an interesting and informative thread, and I continue to thank all those who have responded thus far; I never expected such a response.
I'm so glad to find a MAJOR theme running throughout which is common to all of us - our love of doing it - and may that love never evaporate.
Music is a natural thing found in nearly all countries and cultures the world over, and always has been, and the world without music is a world - in MY humble view - that would probably be no fun to live in at all!
Long may we all continue to live to play, sing and enjoy each other's love of what we do.

S11LKO
07-22-2018, 01:07 AM
Thank you bill1
I suppose I'm lucky in that I love all genres of music. Only just discovered the uke but I love it and am trying to improve day by day, I've played most kinds of music on my acoustic guitars on and off (mostly off due to commitments), and now get together with friends and our electrics/bass/drums to play rock covers. As with all I do, I'm not brilliant, but I enjoy myself doing it.
Re BIL: I certainly will take your advice on board and see if I can (eventually lol) win him over!

kissing
07-23-2018, 07:38 PM
It's interesting that some people have this preconception that musicians play instruments for showing and impressing other people.
Certainly, performance is one part of music. But it's not the only thing, nor the main thing.

As an amateur, my philosophy is this.
I play for my own enjoyment and development. If I share the music, and others happen to like it, that's awesome!
But I'm not their employee obligated to play what they want or meet certain standards. It's just my own little dabbles at this and that.

Laelia
07-24-2018, 05:10 AM
Certainly, performance is one part of music. But it's not the only thing, nor the main thing.[/QUOTE]

I cannot agree with this point enough, especially coming from a professional background. I see so many people put themselves down because they've never performed and it gets me down.

To stand upon a church pulpit with thousands looking up at you expectantly is never easy, no matter how many times you do it. I'd take the simple joy of tinkering away and singing my favourite songs terribly over taking that stage again any day.

I have anxiety issues so please take this with a pinch of salt and take it for what it is: a stressed out girls' opinion. Maybe some day I'll overcome my issues and come rant and rave here about how I was stupid and the limelight is top but until then ��

Just remember that no matter where you make it, how you make it or who you make it for that your music is a miracle. Each note echoes back through thousands of years to join a faint chorus that our ancestors probably started by drilling a few holes in a stick. When you look at where music comes from and where it is now it blows your freaking mind!

(again, just an opinion ��)

S11LKO
07-24-2018, 10:00 AM
And a great opinion it is laelia.
Music is so vast and encompassing that we can each take from and give to it exactly as suits us at any given time.
I think it differs a little if someone is a 'professional performer' because if you're being paid you need to give your audience what they expect to hear. Most good pub bands know that in particular.
Having said that, some of the best loved and enduring performers made their mark by playing what they themselves love to play (and in most cases it's been original stuff) - songs which in the fullness of time became accepted classics.
Again, so many perspectives...

plunker
07-28-2018, 07:39 AM
Never be great either. I think I am about a one blade knife with a corkscrew. I enjoy the challenge of a new song, and the enjoyment when it sounds decent. I also sometimes sit an play the ones I have "mastered" and say to myself, I am really doing this. It is all very cool.

S11LKO
07-28-2018, 07:46 AM
It is all very cool.

Haha, Plunker. Cool it is indeed. And long may it stay 'cool' for all of us who enjoy doing it!

Papa Tom
07-28-2018, 12:45 PM
As a professional drummer from the time I was 15 to the time I was 34, I always had to keep my chops up and be better than the next guy in order to get the "good" gigs. Ultimately, I began to hate music, and in my mid-thirties, I completely walked away and never touched a drum again.

About ten years later, I discovered the uke and thought about buying one just to let the some of the music still wiggling inside me out. The one condition I gave myself was that I would never, EVER let myself get to the point where making music with it was painful or laborious, and I have held myself to this for the past ten years. I find that, now that I am not in competition with every single musician I see, whether in concert or on YouTube, I am enjoying music SO MUCH MORE THAN EVER! To watch Jake, George Formby, James Hill, or any of the virtuoso players I learn about through these forums is such a pleasure, especially knowing that I don't ever have to worry about being as good as any of them!

S11LKO
07-28-2018, 09:11 PM
I suppose we each have to follow our own path with regards to our music, and it's quite obvious from what you say that you made the right decision for YOU, and that's fantastic!
Our lives are far too short to waste time doing things we're not enjoying, and you were wise enough to walk away when you found that happening.
But so great to hear you've found a way to enjoy your music again.

Graham Greenbag
07-28-2018, 10:06 PM
As a professional drummer from the time I was 15 to the time I was 34, I always had to keep my chops up and be better than the next guy in order to get the "good" gigs. Ultimately, I began to hate music, and in my mid-thirties, I completely walked away and never touched a drum again.

From my little overlap with those who have performed professionally my suspicion is that yours is a frighteningly well worn path and that you did well to survive until your mid-thirties. Believing it to be an exceedingly difficult path in life I generally discourage people from a career in music performance, relative to the amount of highly talented players that there are ‘out there’ there are way too few jobs.

IMHO music is best viewed as a hobby first and then, if you enjoy teaching, possibly a way of earning something by helping others to enjoy the joy of making music. If you play well enough to be paid to play then that’s great, we’ll providing that you’re not dependant on that income stream and are playing music that you enjoy and in a way that you enjoy. If someone can be paid reasonably for just doing what they already enjoy doing then good luck to them, but it’s all a complex balance so as they say ‘don’t give up the day job’ - earn the bulk of your income from something more reliable and treat any money from music as a bonus.

S11LKO
07-28-2018, 10:53 PM
The only way anyone would pay ME in music is to bribe me to 'go forth and multiply' and disappear far enough away that they could no longer hear me!! lol

PereBourik
07-29-2018, 05:29 AM
I've played for 6 years now and I'm still trying to find my own "voice". I'll pick up a song sheet and try to make it sound like the original. That sense of making it mine is hard to learn. It's all music. But when will it become my music?

jelow1966
07-29-2018, 07:21 AM
For me it's a matter of enjoyment versus progress, or maybe enjoyment and progress. I just finished 2 1/2 years of taking lessons and while the main reason is that my second teacher was moving onto other things we both knew it was time. Not because I didn't enjoy it but because in order to make progress I need to put in my ten thousand hours as they say. That is, the musical knowledge is there now but it wil take a ton of practicing to get it to the point where it does me any good even if it's not as fun. I get more enjoyment out of just playing a solo along with a standard on iReal Pro than I do working on a solo with guide tones but I see it as a short term pain for long term gain. I'll never be a great player, but I can be better then I am now. If it gets to the point where it feels too much like a chore I'll just come back and read this thread and remember it's just a part of the journey. And then I'll play Maggott Brain and forget all about appegiated solos for awhile.

John

S11LKO
07-29-2018, 07:56 AM
John - lol but good on you.

PereBourik - it becomes YOUR music as soon as you play it mate. Whatever our level of play or skill we are each unique. No one will ever perform that song identically to you unless they go out of their way to copy your voice, your playing technique, and your overall sound. And if they take the trouble to do THAT, take it as a compliment because it'll mean you're doing something right!

Overall, don't worry about that. Just enjoy what you do. Your 'sound' will come all on its own!

Nickie
07-29-2018, 03:37 PM
Dave, and everyone, thanks for this thread. It has given me a new perspective.
Why am I here? Why do I love music so much?
And, am I having fun?
I'm having a ball. While I doubt that I will ever be a very good ukulele player, I'm living my dreams.
Nobody else's, just mine.
When I think about my friend who is an accomplished pianist who isn't playing, just working herself crazy, it saddens me a little.
I didn't consider myself a musician at all, when I took up the ukulele, almost 8 years ago. Now, I'm beginning to think another way. Musicians aren't BORN, they are made. As much as I'd like to think so, even the greatest weren't born with an ukulele in their hands.
I play in a band created by myself and a bestie, called the Ladies Of Uke. We play mostly in ALFs, for folks older than us. They say they love us. We've never recorded, we've only written one song, but we work very hard to learn to cover songs, and improve all the time.
I also play in another group (which I created) called Ukers For Life. We are learning, training, and playing for hospice patients, and very soon, for kids at the Shriner's hospital down the road a piece, then for Veterans in the VA hospital. It's strictly volunteerism, ignited by Ukulele Kids Club. We're hoping to be "adopted" (sponsored) by TBUS, our local ukulele club of some several hundred members. We have a facebook page, but that's our only public exposure. We were asked by a museum to play for a "re-opening" day very soon, and are working like mad to be ready.
As well, I am on the Board of Directors of TBUS. Part of my duties is to assist and teach beginners in our library workshops. Another commitment!
Am I enjoying all of this?
I think so....heck yes....
Oh, heck yes.....

PereBourik
07-29-2018, 05:56 PM
John - lol but good on you.

PereBourik - it becomes YOUR music as soon as you play it mate. Whatever our level of play or skill we are each unique. No one will ever perform that song identically to you unless they go out of their way to copy your voice, your playing technique, and your overall sound. And if they take the trouble to do THAT, take it as a compliment because it'll mean you're doing something right!

Overall, don't worry about that. Just enjoy what you do. Your 'sound' will come all on its own!

Yes, and my inner critic thinks I can take "House of the Rising Sun" and "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and make them both sound the same. Hahahah.

S11LKO
07-30-2018, 02:13 AM
Yes, and my inner critic thinks I can take "House of the Rising Sun" and "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and make them both sound the same. Hahahah.

Haha! Now THAT made me lol. X

Nickie - and it sounds like you're HAVING A BALL, and fortunate to be entertaining others too. As you say, you're enjoying what you're doing and that's my point (and it seems the point of everyone here who plays!)
Have fun. With your life. Do what makes you happy.
Live for today because tomorrow is not promised for any of us.
I look forward to hearing some of your music sometime.

UkerDanno
07-30-2018, 03:15 AM
Yes, yes Itis! ;):shaka:

Rllink
07-30-2018, 04:12 AM

I have my own rendition of House of the Rising Sun. My friend came to hear me when I was doing my thing at the coffee shop on a Saturday evening. On Sunday he sent me a video of the Animals playing it in 1964, "just to show me how it is supposed to be played and sang."

S11LKO
08-02-2018, 12:12 AM
Sounds like my brother in law! :-(

I'm away on holiday at the moment in Corfu and they held a karaoke night. No one wanted to get up, and the woman who'd arranged the night was getting worried about it crashing around her ears. So I got up and did this (albeit without uke or guitar so my sincere apologies if it breeches posting rules).

The point I'm trying to make by posting it is, that after I'd done it and broken the ice (even though it went wrong as it was in the wrong key for me! lol), loads of people put their name forward and everyone had fun with some surprisingly good singers coming forward!

Just fun. In this case no ukes or instruments I know, but music - whatever instrument we play, even our voices, should be 'just fun'.

(P.S. I'm sitting in my hotel lobby writing this and I just had a couple come up to me and say "Just thought we had to tell you we enjoyed your singing the other night!"
Haha! Stick THAT in your pipe and smoke it brother-in-law!!)

https://youtu.be/PMtATBW9L-I

hollisdwyer
08-02-2018, 12:59 AM
At this stage of my life, as I enter advanced stages of decrepitude, it will only ever be about enjoyment (as it should be no matter at what level one plays at).

S11LKO
08-02-2018, 01:13 AM
Hear Hear young hollisdwyer, hear hear!

plunker
08-02-2018, 03:03 AM
At this stage of my life, as I enter advanced stages of decrepitude, it will only ever be about enjoyment (as it should be no matter at what level one plays at).
I am that person. A friend of my wife and mine has a sign in her house that says,"Let's be best friends till we are old and gray. Then we'll be new friends." At some point I expect to sound very good to myself,,but utter torture to those around. Until then I will enjoy playing,with a modicum of appreciation from the family. Sitting here I have just thought that I could train the African grey to say stuff like magnificent, wonderful after I play. My own fan club that I pay peanuts. My older brother is extremely talented musician, when I played trombone many many years ago, I always put myself in his shadow. Picking up uke a few years ago, I have broken that curse. ( My brother is wonderful, this was all my doing). Starting to ramble like an old person. Play for you. Personal enjoyment, improvement, and satisfaction.

Rllink
08-02-2018, 03:52 AM
Sounds like my brother in law! :-(

I'm away on holiday at the moment in Corfu and they held a karaoke night. No one wanted to get up, and the woman who'd arranged the night was getting worried about it crashing around her ears. So I got up and did this (albeit without uke or guitar so my sincere apologies if it breeches posting rules).

The point I'm trying to make by posting it is, that after I'd done it and broken the ice (even though it went wrong as it was in the wrong key for me! lol), loads of people put their name forward and everyone had fun with some surprisingly good singers coming forward!

Just fun. In this case no ukes or instruments I know, but music - whatever instrument we play, even our voices, should be 'just fun'.

(P.S. I'm sitting in my hotel lobby writing this and I just had a couple come up to me and say "Just thought we had to tell you we enjoyed your singing the other night!"
Haha! Stick THAT in your pipe and smoke it brother-in-law!!)

I think that people sit in their homes and think that someday they will get out and play somewhere in public, but they have to get good enough first. And in their mind they are thinking that they need to get rock star good. In their mind, they are never good enough. The thing is, putting some heart into it goes a lot farther than talent when it comes to performing in front of people. Just looking like you are having a good time is contagious when it comes to an audience. Case in point, lately I've been playing Put the Lime in the Coconut. People love that song. They go nuts. Seriously, it is a C7, the whole song is a C7. How much talent does it take to play a C7. But people want to hear it. Actually, I love that song. Anyway, I've never let my lack of musical talent stop me from playing.

hollisdwyer
08-02-2018, 05:39 AM
When I first started playing I taught myself a few chords while trying to work out some song I liked (an Eddie Vedder song if I remember correctly). I realised very quickly that I (you see I know myself very well) would never progress if I didn’t find a group to play with. That was the way I learned guitar, by going down to Washington Square Park in Greenwich Village in the early 1960’s and watching people play(I’m a visual learner).
As I never minded making a fool of myself, I also realised that my mistakes would be hidden behind the volume of the group, I became a regular every week.
They say if you are lucky that you find your own tribe and after playing with a few groups that’s exactly what I did.
I still get lost in the middle of a song when someone distracts me sometimes but so what. We all have so much fun together every week that the errors never matters. When we do soar as a group we share the special joy that you get when you’re in sync with other human beings.

S11LKO
08-02-2018, 11:23 AM
Haha! Brilliant!!

Bill Sheehan
08-03-2018, 04:25 AM
By the way, Dave, you did an AWESOME job on the Herman's Hermits tune!

S11LKO
08-04-2018, 01:00 AM
By the way, Dave, you did an AWESOME job on the Herman's Hermits tune!

Mwah! Thanks Bill.

Locolele
08-04-2018, 07:46 PM
I'll add a couple of related reasons for which I started playing last year:

1) At 47, working from home, and beyond my competitive sports days, I needed a challenge for my own sanity. I've always been strongly affected by music, and I love the guitar and ukulele.

2) My 8-year-old is interested in the guitar/ukulele, and I want to be able to participate with him. I would love for him to be able to look back someday and say, "I could always make music with my Dad, and that was special." I also believe his life will be much richer if he pursues music, and my being able to play puts me in a better position to support and encourage him.

LL

S11LKO
08-04-2018, 08:47 PM
And a great couple of reasons they are too, LL.

Wiggy
08-05-2018, 03:36 AM
By taking the initiative, you encouraged the others' participation. They then realized that they are only have to "be themselves" to have fun. That's what it is all about.

-Wiggy

S11LKO
08-06-2018, 07:22 AM
By taking the initiative, you encouraged the others' participation. They then realized that they are only have to "be themselves" to have fun. That's what it is all about.
-Wiggy

Thanks Wiggy.

Quite a few got up during the rest of the evening. The hotel caters mostly for the over 50's, and a couple of singers surprised themselves by having good voices; much better than MY drivel! It turned into a fun night enjoyed by all (no doubt fuelled by a few glasses of whatever took our fancies in the Corfu sun! lol).

Those that did get up said they'd never done it before but would again in future as they really enjoyed the experience - so that HAS to be a good thing, doesn't it?

S11LKO
08-06-2018, 07:29 AM
Just a quick thank you to those who contacted me saying nice things about my 'rendition' of "I'm Into Something Good' done at the hotel during my recent holiday and posted further back in this thread.

Yes, I DID do a couple of others (with varying degrees of success lol) but as they don't feature me playing my uke or guitar I won't post them directly here as they bear no real relevance to this thread or the site in general, and I don't want to contravene any of the rules of conduct here and upset anyone.

If anyone IS still interested in taking a quick peek though they can be found at the following links.

Again, thanks to everyone for their contribution to this thread. It's been really interesting for me and it seems to many of you.

Love On The Rocks - https://youtu.be/a5tKPhus9DM

I’m Telling You Now - https://youtu.be/HLSWCJX52y0

Play Me - https://youtu.be/twXNKt9gT94

I’m A Believer - https://youtu.be/_FrlnpluQWY

S11LKO
08-07-2018, 04:05 PM
Hi Dave, thanks for an awesome thread, I've only just found the time to comment...........I've been too busy enjoying my ukes! :D

As it should be young Campbell. As it should be.

S11LKO
08-11-2018, 02:17 AM
Just an update:

Well, well, what do you know?

Brother in law said to me last night:

"I know I have a dig at you and take the p***, out of your playing and singing, but you know me, that's just what I do. You're actually much better than a lot of people I've seen!"

Now, I obviously don't agree with the second part of his statement, but it felt good to hear him say something positive about my hobby instead of belittling me all the time. Maybe it's because I was paying for his beer? lol

Jerryc41
08-12-2018, 05:22 AM
...but you know me, that's just what I do.

Now, I obviously don't agree with the second part of his statement, but it felt good to hear him say something positive about my hobby instead of belittling me all the time. Maybe it's because I was paying for his beer? lol

I could never understand people who feel a need to put people down continuously. "Oh, I was only kidding."

S11LKO
08-12-2018, 10:46 AM
Indeed. As someone said back up this thread ‘Bolestering his own inadequaces’ perhaps.