NUD: Ono Koa Tenor

CheeseSandwich

Reaction score
Hi UU members,

A few days ago, Saltytri (the owner of Ono Ukuleles) posted a completed mastergrade koa tenor. Luckily this wonderful instrument belongs to me and it is an amazing uke. I hardly have put it down since I got it a few days ago! I've linked the original post by Saltytri since his pictures came out way better than mine did!

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?134091-New-Ono-Koa-Tenor

Aesthetics
Really gorgeous ukulele. The wood is mastergrade Koa and it sure is curly! The entire body is practically covered in holographic curls that pop across the front, back, and sides. In addition there is also macassar ebony on the headplate, fretboard, and bridge. I think it provides a nice contrast to the blonde and lighter Koa. Overall, I am really happy with how the instrument looks!

Build Quality
Saltytri does really clean work. As I look at the ukulele, there are no mistakes in the build. The bindings, construction, and build are all executed incredibly well. I have no doubt this instrument will last a long time. It appears that everything is in the right place and no sloppy construction!

Playability
Fantastic setup! The setup is nice and low so that I don't need to press all that hard in order to fret chords or individual notes. Another great thing is that intonation is spot on across the entire neck. This is nice because it feels like the uke is practically playing itself! I also got a satin neck which has been very smooth and easy to navigate on; I am glad I went with this option.

Sound
Most importantly, this uke's sound surpasses my expectations! The uke has a very warm, sweet, and melodic tone that I enjoy a lot. It's a very rich sound that has a lot of depth to it. Also the chords blend together very well but when playing solos or fingerpicking, I can hear each note ring out clear and true. I've played jazz, pop, and hawaiian music so far and everything sounds great; such a versatile instrument! I absolutely love the sound of the uke and can't imagine it turning out any better. I've included two sound samples recorded on my iPad. The recording on my iPad is not great but I think the sound and characteristic of the instrument still comes through pretty well. Hope you all enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1EMgujOAuI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76cUbDJxjGA

I'm so happy I decided to purchase an Ono Ukulele! I can't recommend him enough if you have the money and resources available for it.

Congrats! Welcome to OnoMAS! :shaka:

loved this Koa Ono the second I set my eyes on it. Congratulations. Beautiful instrument, great sounding. What more can you say. Hope to own an Ono myself someday.

Congratulations! I wondered who was lucky new owner.

Enjoyed your video. Nice playing. Your new koa Ono tenor sounds great! The gloss finish looks so good.

Congratulations on a beautiful looking and sounding instrument. David builds wonderful ukuleles and this one is a testament to that fact. Enjoy it for a long time, it's a keeper.

Beautiful inspiring instrument. It has a lively warm tone and sustain. Congrats! Now I've got another reason to make a field trip to Ashland.

Top Bottom