Dad's Legacy Returned

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
My Dad back in 1957 3 years before I was born picked up a Kamaka pineapple and as long as I can remember that pineapple Kamaka sat at the ready above Dad's bed for ready action usually on Friday night Pau Hana parties. I remember he lent it out to a so called friend back over 30 years ago, and this friend proceeded to lose it and never offered to reimburse my Dad. My Dad was way too cool and let it slide. I really missed that old Kamaka and had been looking for a replacement ever since moving back into this old homestead. 2 days ago in the local Craigslist I saw an ad for a Kamaka with case good condition for $400 or offer. I could not afford this amount but I could dig up $300 so I emailed the seller who lived just 10 minutes away, and made my offer. He said meet him at a local restaurant (ZIPPY'S) and I could take a look before I decide. When I got to Zippy's a saw this guy pull up on a bike with 2 'ukulele cases. He was the seller and he handed me the Kamaka pineapple, and he busted out what was in his other case a KoAloha Tenor, and he he asked if I like kanikapila, so we played a few cords then he said he was glad I was a player, and not a collector. I told him the story of my Dad and he felt this sale was meant to be. I looked over the Kamaka and saw finish wear on the neck, and fret wear especially the first 3 frets which is great, this ukulele was played. She had a few minor dings but no cracks, and the case had wear but was still serviceable. She had old strings but still sounds good. I have clear Worths, Ko'olau Golds, Aquilas, or red Kalas to choose from to re string her. There was a date on the case hand written '72 so I know at least this old. Before I took off he let me play his KoAloha Tenor, and I was mesmerized by the beautiful tone, first KoAloha I ever played, and I was really blown away, gotta get one one day. Now a Kamaka pineapple once again resides in the old Kailua homestead, and I think Dad would be happy to know this. Now I need to learn the same songs Dad used to play on those Friday nights so long ago. Thanks Dad for instilling in me the love of the 'ukulele.
kamaka.jpg

That's beautiful.....thank you for sharing.

Awesome! I'm glad you found an ukulele that's so close to your heart. And for a good price, too! Enjoy the heck out of it.

Thats a really great story! enjoy your uke.

Wonderful story, I hope to share the same with my son!

Its nice to here that a presence of a similar pineapple uke has been restored in your family :)

Thanks for sharing, Ahnko! I bet your dad's smiling right now.

Remindes me of this blog I wrote, some years back. After reading your story I just had to post it here.

I grew up as many of you, when we didn’t even know what a TV was. Every Saturday morning we would be glued to the radio, just like kids, and their cartoons today. A lot of good memories of those days, but my best memory of all was waking up every morning hearing dad playing his fiddle. Many nights at bed time I remember going to sleep listening to dad. Over the years I have bought many instruments, always with the intent to learn to play along with dad. I always loved to go with dad to all the old time fiddler jams. Will growing up got in the way and I never learned to play with dad. Now that I am retired I am bound and determine to learn to play the ukulele. I may never be that good. But when the man upstairs calls me home for the last time. I will be ready to play with dad.

I was reading the story hoping that it would turn out to be your dad's uke in the end, but it was still a great read! Hope you have enjoy it as much as if it had been your dad's.

I was reading the story hoping that it would turn out to be your dad's uke in the end, but it was still a great read! Hope you have enjoy it as much as if it had been your dad's.

i was thinking the same thing cpatch

Remindes me of this blog I wrote, some years back. After reading your story I just had to post it here.

I grew up as many of you, when we didn’t even know what a TV was. Every Saturday morning we would be glued to the radio, just like kids, and their cartoons today. A lot of good memories of those days, but my best memory of all was waking up every morning hearing dad playing his fiddle. Many nights at bed time I remember going to sleep listening to dad. Over the years I have bought many instruments, always with the intent to learn to play along with dad. I always loved to go with dad to all the old time fiddler jams. Will growing up got in the way and I never learned to play with dad. Now that I am retired I am bound and determine to learn to play the ukulele. I may never be that good. But when the man upstairs calls me home for the last time. I will be ready to play with dad.

thats a really nice story too, whitson

i love the quote in your sig too

Both stories are definitely inspirational. I was trying to keep the tears back to be honest with you. I just hope that when I finally have kids they will be able to appreciate the music as much as you two did.

Top Bottom