Cordoba CE Guitele or Ibanez EWP14?

Billy Hell

Reaction score
I'm a guitar picker. I have so many guitars I won't count them. I play electric guitar and acoustics. Once or twice a year I head to Mexico and wish I had a guitar with me. My daughter packed a uke last year and I realized I needed a six string uke. The Ibanez EWP14 is appealing to me - steel strings, cutaway, looks good. I have read several reports that the neck is too narrow. I played a Cordoba CE and it was nice but not steel string and it was a lot more expensive. So I'm here to find out if anyone has on opinion on the Ibanez vs the Cordoba?

I guess you need to decide whether you want steel or nylon strings. If you decide nylon are OK, you have a few options for under $200. Then you need to decide on what scale length you want. Again, you have a number of options from 17", 19", 20", even 23".

I'm a guitar picker. I have so many guitars I won't count them. I play electric guitar and acoustics. Once or twice a year I head to Mexico and wish I had a guitar with me. My daughter packed a uke last year and I realized I needed a six string uke. The Ibanez EWP14 is appealing to me - steel strings, cutaway, looks good. I have read several reports that the neck is too narrow. I played a Cordoba CE and it was nice but not steel string and it was a lot more expensive. So I'm here to find out if anyone has on opinion on the Ibanez vs the Cordoba?

The question that arises from reading this is, do you need a "6-string uke" at all?
By the way, a "6 string uke" in the traditional sense is not 6-strings like a guitar, but with some of the strings double-coursed, but still played like a 4-string (kinda like a 12-string guitar).

What you're looking for is a "guitalele" or "guilele", which is a shortscaled guitar tuned up to ADGCEA.
You can emulate that on a guitar by just putting a capo at the 5th fret of a regular guitar.
A steel string version of this isn't really a widely used instrument - Ibanez may be one of the few that do.
The rest would be nylon strings, made by companies like Cordoba, Aria, Yamaha and Oscar Schmidt.

Otherwise, I think a short-scaled travel guitar is probably a better investment.
Plenty of those around made by Taylor, Cort, Yamaha, Anuenue, etc.

For any instrument designed to take steel strings, ensure it has a truss rod.
There are some cheapo steel string mini guitars out there that don't.

Last edited:
If you want steel strings, the Ibanez is a good choice.
If you plan to play along with your daughter you may find that nylon strings are preferable. The Gretsch 9126 A-C-E has nylon strings and the same scale length as the Ibanez. The Gretsch has good reviews as well. It's also available in a non-cutaway version, so be sure to include the ACE when you search if you're looking for the cutaway.
https://youtu.be/s-bwBW5N6Es
https://www.elderly.com/gretsch-g9126-ace-guitar-ukulele-acoustic-cutaway-electric-with-gigbag.htm

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I did order the Ibanez. I found an open box for $99 with a good return policy. I'm excited to get it and it might be a nice sound for recording (something different).
I think my daughter will be playing it when I'm not. Good stuff!

Received the Ibanez last night. This was an open box item that only cost $100 so I was open to the fact I might have to send it back. I'm happy to say that it looks and sounds great! I have a six string mando guitar from Goldtone and I cannot navigate the lower regions of that neck. The Ibanez however I can play up and down the neck! I can play the blues on the 12th fret and chord up and down the neck. I do like the steel string sound and the size is great (I can stick it in my suitcase). So I think I really scored on this! Now I guess I'm on the hunt for a pickup I can add since it sounds so sweet!

I am in the same situation now.

Cordoba minis sound seems more guitarish than ibanez piccolo. Ibanez piccolo have a sound like ukulele. I think its because ovangkol top. So i want cordoba mini but with steel string. Can i restring with acoustic steel strings cordoba mini? Is it damage to guitar?

Ok. Ibanez piccolo, gretsch g9126 (if i can find in my country) and

any other options ukulele size 6 steel string guitar?

No gretsch g9126 is nylon string too

Is ibanez piccolo only one choice for steel string ukulele size guitar?

Top Bottom