Ono 18" Scale Amazon Rosewood Tenor - Tuned Linear G

saltytri

Reaction score
No kidding. DGBE on a tenor body. Other than that unusual departure, the build is my "Wahoo Tenor" model, which has premium features including a slotted head stock with Rubner tuners, radiused fret board, EVO gold fret wire, glossy lacquer finish and side sound port. The top is Adirondack spruce and the Honduras mahogany neck is finished with epoxy rubbed to satin for durability and playability.

The owner has a reason for wanting it strung up in this tuning and the request really did seem to pass the "straight face" test so I gave it a whirl. It helps that my tenor body is on the roomy side and that the scale is 18". For a combination like this, the right strings are the key. I settled on Thomastik-Infeld CF35 and CF30 for the basses and Savarez 543R (.032) and 542R (.027) for the trebles. The result is surprisingly pleasing. The strings are nicely balanced with plenty of volume but without objectionable boominess at the bottom. I spent some time switching back and forth with my personal 18" tenor, which is also a "Wahoo Tenor" and very similarly built out of Brazilian rosewood and Adirondack spruce. The Amazon RW is deeper, of course, but retains much of the character of its Brazilian RW sister. It probably wouldn't be mistaken for a baritone, but does tend in that direction and certainly wouldn't be mistaken for a low G tenor.

43550604052_82af2b17e0_b.jpg

28710347217_514911cb6e_b.jpg

43550598512_194f76c14a_b.jpg

28710343007_3bbb859d17_b.jpg

Beautiful instrument.

Wow, David, that is absolutely gorgeous! What a marvelous set of Amazon rosewood! Congrats to the lucky owner!

I must say, one gorgeous spruce soundboard also. Hope to someday treat my self to an Ono.
An instrument of perfection IMHO. I find myself getting lost just taking it in.
Beautiful!

Spicy Steve said it well...."I find myself lost in just taking it in". This one looks really special, I am a huge fan of Amazon Rosewood and that back is wonderful, as is everything else on this ukulele.

Amazon rosewood... honduran mahogany... what wonderful materials to work with! You definitely did them justice... looks amazing - one of the nicest ukes i have seen.

Only wish I could source some of these timbers downunder. stunning :).

That’s a very classy uke David. Looks like your design and build process finely honed.

BTW still loving my 6-string Ono baritone.

Hodge, thanks very much for letting me know that you're enjoying the baritone. That was a fun project and was the lead-up to an eight string that I'm glad to have had the chance to build.

So far this thread has been focused on the looks. I am glad to report on the sound!

I was lucky enough to bag this beauty and meet David in person!

I will do a more complete NUD soon.. but after just having put this uke into it's case after a fun session, I had to type this out.

I took this uke to the Baritone retreat hosted by Les.. yes this tenor (slightly bigger than other tenor bodies) + longer scale length was transformed into a Baritone by David by an excellent selection of strings. The tension, feel and balance is perfect!

The sound is that of a baritone yet crisp, strong yet pleasant, it is loud (full size baritones do have a larger sound but this holds its own) it is a sweet sound that makes me wish I knew more to play to keep the sound coming to my ears.

I have yet to try it with normal tenor strings but right now I am enjoying this uke as a baritone.

More soon..

I have yet to try it with normal tenor strings but right now I am enjoying this uke as a baritone.
As the owner of a 19" Ono baritone, I say keep it there. You got other tenors, right? :cool:

Wow that is a seriously beautiful uke.

That will most likely be the the strings that stay on but I do want to hear it as a tenor..

Yea.......don't listen to Jim Hanks, he is bat sh*t crazy over alternate tunings. Just joking Jim, ya know I love ya bro' :p

Oh and congratulations on a smart move buying this wonderful instrument.

Last edited:
Top Bottom