Perfect mitres

Nice job Pete.
I wish all custom builders made that their goal. I don’t agree that handmade instruments are okay to look handmade. Well, If they’re selling for a few hundred bucks maybe, but certainly not if they are charging full custom prices.

Your are right

Nothing short of nightmare for me the next challenge - abalone border and binding. I cannot work fast any more and this is one of those killer moments when using black abs binding on a radical 96" radius is what you have to do. Wood bindings on this curvature would be problematic especially ebony which in small sections becomes quite brittle on the hot iron. In fact I use black abs all the time and no-one has pointed out that they are 'plastic' bindings - the inference here being that plastic is inferior to wood. It's not - it is just a different material.

Last edited:
Hi Pete,
Have you tried Zipflex strips? Seems like it would make the process more efficient than the traditional way. I've got a few strips I will send you if you like.
Josh

Thanks for the offer but Ziplfex looks fake to me...

Last edited:
I see your point . :biglaugh: :cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer but Ziplfex looks fake to me...

Off topic, but my problem with Zipflex is that it is expensive ($$$) and can be awful thin. Do not want to sand through the ab layer :( Not good. Other than that, it is a viable alternative for ab binding and is especially handy for the beginner who doesn't want to struggle with all those ab radiouses. Kevin came up with a smart product there, but we are going off topic here. Perhaps good for a thread of its own?

My problems the out of proportion black line. It's what makes it look fake to me. Clever - yes. For a quality instrument - not for me.

Hi Pete- Nice miters and certainly something to be proud of!
Are you using a CNC machine to cut your headplates and fingerboards?

Yep. CNC does that now. Takes a buit of a steep learning curve but once you have it the consistency is magnificent. Headstock tuner holes in perfect alignment, lapped fingerboards with faux binding. All good. Then I can take time with details like the mitres and don't feel the effort and time doing this is gobbling up the profits....

Top Bottom