new Martin SO ukes

martin

I just sold one. I liked it a lot but built a StewMac and didn't need two sopranos. I figured I could get what I payed for the Martin but not for a home built.
The martin played well.
Dan

I think reactions have generally been pretty mixed about them. Some folks dig them, some do not. I've strummed a few a bit in stores and not personally been too impressed compared with the ones I've got at home, but that's me.

Certainly at the price point they generally sell you're in an area where a nice Hawaiian one is feasible for the same or just a bit more. Kelii, Tangi & Mele are all in that ballpark and bargains. YMMV

Certainly at the price point they generally sell you're in an area where a nice Hawaiian one is feasible for the same or just a bit more. Kelii, Tangi & Mele are all in that ballpark and bargains. YMMV

Agreed. The few S-O's I've played weren't the worst, but when compared to everything else in that price range, they're not competitive at all. Mele isn't Hawaiian-made but I still get what you're saying. The Martin really shouldn't be more than $200 brand new (but even then, they'd have tough competition from Kala, Ohana, Mainland, etc).

martin

So Ive not been looking but can you get a solid wood ukulele for around 339.00 in a soprano??
I thought they wood be mostly ply-wood. and (thats not the same as solid).
If you can what brand are they?
Thanks
Dan

Hamano, Kelii, Ohana, Kala, Tangi, Koa Pili Koko, Mele, Pono, Mainland... the list goes on but that's off the top of my head. There's plenty more.

That's actually a good price range for a solid wood soprano. Hell, MGM's got a solid koa Tangi soprano for under $250 shipped. It hurts me to see it. (must resist...must...re..sist...)

Last edited:
Top Bottom