CALIFORNIA?! i need you.

deadeye

Reaction score
hey there,

so i need some help/advice! im going to the west coast for 2 months in about three weeks, gunna travel all through california - las vegas - whereever the mood takes me!

so i wondered if you guys could help me out with places to go in california? im going to work my way down from san francisco -> san diego.

im gunna pick up a cheap uke there too, so if anyone wants to meet up on the beach one day and jam i'd love that. ive never played the uke with a real life person before! also gunna do my best to get to the san diego uke meet.

i also really would like to visit hawaii for a few days (4or5). any idea how much i'd have to pay to get return flights & hostel in hawaii?

cheers guys

Santa Monica. Take a look over there. I thought it was beautiful just sitting on the pier. Saw my first dolphins there (and i'm from hawaii)!

If you stop by SD, hit up the gas lamp district around there, hell of a bar atmosphere.

The beaches in Orange County (where I'm from), are astounding. Check out Disneyland in Anaheim.

LA has so much to explore, hit up down town (Be careful not to go into ghetto ass neighborhoods at night).

The Bay area has so much to offer, but it might be a little bit chilly. I couldn't give you too much info about this area, I know Fred can though.

eh! the uk is chilly too! les show some bay hospitality! deadeye, wut exactly is the inspiration to come to the west?

• San Francisco - Spend a lot of time there and don't forget to drive up to Battery Spencer for one of the best views of the bay. Bring your camera.
  • Sausalito - Drive up there and soak-up the art scene and food. Make a quick side-trip to Tiburon (via the ferry if you prefer) and dine at Guayamas (about $35) or just have a coffee. Don't forget to visit Schoenberg Guitars in Tiburon (they have ukes too ... and lots).
  • Monterey - 2.5 hours south of San Francisco. Our former state capital ... you can see why (shouldn't have moved it to Sacramento IMHO). Visit the aquarium and walk by the seaside.
  • Big Sur - If it were summer, I'd say camp there, set-up a chair in the river and read a good long book. Too cold right now. :(
  • Lake Tahoe - If you can drive there, go there. If you get on the water, drop a stone (no trash please) and see how long it takes before you can't see the stone. It explains why we love Tahoe and fight to preserve it.
  • Yosemite - If you can drive there, go there and spend a lot of time hiking up the trails, or even up to Half-Dome. It can make a believer out of agnostics and atheists. ;)

There are lots of interesting points in-between. Too many to list.

very nice comprehensive list there chiyodad!

on another note, if you're into pub crawls, let me know. san francisco has tons of great bars.

One other note in case you hit Southern California first ...

If you go to Disneyland, visit Disney's California Adventure and get on the ride called "Soaring Over California" (long lines on this one). If you can, sit in the FIRST row (closest to the screen) and near the center. You may need to ask one of the attendants (they're called "cast members") which door to you need to stand at for this opportunity; you can ask them to delay your entry to the ride so they can place you at the right door.

The ride gives an enjoyable summary of what you can find in our state.

wow guys thanks for all the replies i will 100% follow everything up!

my inspiration? well i dunno, ive always wanted to see the west. ive been to seattle and it was one of the best places ive ever visited. i love the relaxed atmosphere and the attitude of westerners which is pretty liberal and similar to most of 'young' UK.

also..its bloody freezing here. and boring. and i need some adventure. i went to new york in november (also freezing) and met other people who had travelled the US and they ALL, without except, said that their favourite place was san fransico. sealed the deal!

also helps that the dollar is quite weak atm compared to pound so i can travel cheaply too!

wow guys thanks for all the replies i will 100% follow everything up!

my inspiration? well i dunno, ive always wanted to see the west. ive been to seattle and it was one of the best places ive ever visited. i love the relaxed atmosphere and the attitude of westerners which is pretty liberal and similar to most of 'young' UK.

also..its bloody freezing here. and boring. and i need some adventure. i went to new york in november (also freezing) and met other people who had travelled the US and they ALL, without except, said that their favourite place was san fransico. sealed the deal!

also helps that the dollar is quite weak atm compared to pound so i can travel cheaply too!

well then, hope to see you if you drop by my area

hey guys

ill be in san francisco on the 10th-14th. then will be in LA on the 20th. thats all ive planned/booked atm.

my msn/email is jon.noble@gmail.com if anyone wants to jam (need to find a uke in San Fran too!)

gunna go the san diego uke meet on the 23rd of may aswell.

jon

hey guys

ill be in san francisco on the 10th-14th. then will be in LA on the 20th. thats all ive planned/booked atm.

my msn/email is jon.noble@gmail.com if anyone wants to jam (need to find a uke in San Fran too!)

gunna go the san diego uke meet on the 23rd of may aswell.

jon

nice! see you there!

Top Bottom