Wound low G not usable on a banjo uke?

Xochi

Reaction score
I bought a Gretch Clarophone concert banjo uke and took it to a tech for a setup. I normally do my own setups but don't quite trust myself yet with what is essentially a banjo.

I gave him Nylguts and a Thomastik Infeld wound guitar D string to use for the low G. He just called to tell me the extra tension on the low G is causing the sliding bridge to slide toward the bass side and said I'm going to have to use a nylon high G string instead if I want the bridge to stay put where it should be.

Anyone else have this problem? Is there a way around it? I'm not crazy about reentrant tuning (nothing against it, it's just not how I roll). Would an unwound low G string work (and if so, which one)? Thanks for any help!

You could try a thinner wound string, like the Thomastik .027 or D'Addario .026.
Or switch to a higher tension string set for the other 3.

I bought a Gretch Clarophone concert banjo uke and took it to a tech for a setup. I normally do my own setups but don't quite trust myself yet with what is essentially a banjo.

I gave him Nylguts and a Thomastik Infeld wound guitar D string to use for the low G. He just called to tell me the extra tension on the low G is causing the sliding bridge to slide toward the bass side and said I'm going to have to use a nylon high G string instead if I want the bridge to stay put where it should be.

Anyone else have this problem? Is there a way around it? I'm not crazy about reentrant tuning (nothing against it, it's just not how I roll). Would an unwound low G string work (and if so, which one)? Thanks for any help!

Did you get a solution that worked for you? I'm wondering the same thing right now.

Top Bottom