value of "vintage" koaloha ukes?

merlin666

Reaction score
I am watching some older Koaloha ukes on eBay, and noticed that they are at a considerably higher price than newer Koaloha ukes that are offered on UU:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Koaloha-Concert-with-semi-hard-case-ukulele/183337429887
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Koaloha-Concert-Ukulele-with-hard-case-USED/183351062002

So I am wondering if they actually have higher price because they have vintage features like single piece koa top, side, and bottom and carved koa fretboard that are not on the newer ukes anymore, or just simply because they are located in Japan?

Sellers are trying to market "mojo" as a feature of the instrument. Collectors eat that stuff up.

Yes, I'd think there are the two factors already mentioned: the scarcity of a "vintage" instrument, and higher prices in Japan (some of it due to the cost for transportation and taxes).

KoAloha is a relatively young business, and they seem to have improved a lot over the years, so I wouldn't take it for granted that their older models are "better" in any way (except perhaps for opening up in sound over the years). Also, they have pretty much doubled their prices over the past 15 years, so their earlier models costed a lot less back then. At the prices listed, someone is wanting to make a fat profit (which is perfectly legit if someone is willing to pay that amount).

The first one listed looks a lot like mine, except the nut, saddle, & bridge on mine are a little different. Mine (Nov. 2006) has the same KoAloha tuners. Mine is in great condition (purchased from a friend) & I paid about half that price.

Attachments

• DSCF1474.jpg
    DSCF1474.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF1489.jpg
    DSCF1489.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 15
The first one listed looks a lot like mine, except the nut, saddle, & bridge on mine are a little different. Mine (Nov. 2006) has the same KoAloha tuners. Mine is in great condition (purchased from a friend) & I paid about half that price.

I have a Scepter with those branded white tuners, so 2006 must be around the time they started using them. I'd like to see them publish a time line of changes and additions to their lineup.

I had a 2002 concert that had those KoAloha branded Schaller white tuners and also the one piece top and back.

Last edited:
There are features of the old ones that bring up the price.

Single piece top and back.
Ornate/rare bridges
Better than the weather warranty (if problems arise)

I’d still love to have a concert Kamaka gold label, knowing those things are not included.

Jerry, call Alan at Koaloha about the white Schaller tuners. 808-847-4911. ;)

I think using the word vintage and KoAloha together is a bit of a marketing strategy - seeing as how the entire company is not that old.

And yet the closeup photos show a rather poor finish on the head stock on one I saw on Reverb. I loved the crown bridge,and it was in excellent condition. But, I understand the quality of construction and the sound has much improved over the years. Said it had a solid top and back, yet the grain didn't look as though it carried across.

$1200 for a 10-year old tenor is a bit steep. Of course, the new ones are now going for that on several sites. Pretty big jump in price.

Top Bottom