PDA

View Full Version : Klos ukulele anyone? Feedback?

kerneltime
07-31-2018, 05:11 PM
It has been a few months since klos ukuleles made a splash. The thread for a go any where uke made me think about klos.

Any owners in the UU community? Opinions?

70sSanO
07-31-2018, 05:17 PM
I'm not sure they have shipped any. There was an delay with the neck production that pushed deliveries out a month or so. I order one that is coming out of their second run. I figure I'll get it in a month or two.

John

Martinlover
07-31-2018, 06:38 PM
Waiting for mine. Got it as a ukulele I can leave in the Florida humidity when up north and not worry about it. Plus I’ll be able to leave it in the car sometimes. I don’t believe it will be my favorite ukulele. But you never know.

besley
07-31-2018, 06:39 PM
I just received an email saying mine is in the next batch to ship out, and should be shipped by next Friday. Stay tuned......

cyber3d
07-31-2018, 07:39 PM
On order. Waiting for the great day.

Jerryc41
08-01-2018, 02:18 AM
Funny, but I was going to post a thread like this today. I ordered one on June 1, and it is due for shipment in August. I hope so.

Jerryc41
08-01-2018, 02:20 AM
I just received an email saying mine is in the next batch to ship out, and should be shipped by next Friday. Stay tuned......

When did you order yours, and when was it scheduled for delivery?

besley
08-01-2018, 01:31 PM
When did you order yours, and when was it scheduled for delivery?

The original order was placed on February 26, for delivery by June, then delayed to late July, now shipping by August 10th? We'll see.

besley
08-09-2018, 07:33 PM
Just got an email saying mine is scheduled to arrive Tuesday! (Aug 14th)

Jerryc41
08-10-2018, 01:20 AM
A friend who ordered one for August delivery contacted the company, and they said it should arrive next week. I hope so. I'm anxious to get mine - and then start looking for a nice case.

Martinlover
08-10-2018, 04:34 AM
Whose going to be the first to try running over it with their car?

cyber3d
08-10-2018, 06:07 PM
A friend who ordered one for August delivery contacted the company, and they said it should arrive next week. I hope so. I'm anxious to get mine - and then start looking for a nice case.

We need first impressions!!! Ooooo, how about an unboxing video!

Jerryc41
08-12-2018, 03:18 AM
Whose going to be the first to try running over it with their car?

I won't have to. KLOS already did that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRbfm87c9jc

Jerryc41
08-12-2018, 03:23 AM
Ooooo, how about an unboxing video!

Unboxing! The most exciting videos to be found on YouTube.

"Well, here's the box. Now I'm going to cut it open. Yes, there's the item inside. Now I'm going to remove it. And, here it is! Click below to subscribe and see more exciting videos!" :D

Here's a link to over 89 million unboxings. : )

https://www.google.com/search?q=unboxing+videos&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS716US717&oq=unboxing+videos&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.1806j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

DownUpDave
08-12-2018, 03:41 AM
Unboxing! The most exciting videos to be found on YouTube.

"Well, here's the box. Now I'm going to cut it open. Yes, there's the item inside. Now I'm going to remove it. And, here it is! Click below to subscribe and see more exciting videos!" :D

Here's a link to over 89 million unboxings. : )

https://www.google.com/search?q=unboxing+videos&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS716US717&oq=unboxing+videos&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.1806j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Yea unboxing videos........ as exciting as watching paint dry and as painful as sticking needles in my eyes. :wallbash:Start with the instrument in hand and I am at full attention and all ears

Choirguy
08-12-2018, 06:00 AM
Yea unboxing videos........ as exciting as watching paint dry and as painful as sticking needles in my eyes. :wallbash:Start with the instrument in hand and I am at full attention and all ears

I’m going to disagree with your opinion—which you are 100% entitled to have! I find myself “sucked into” unboxing videos—in the ukulele world and otherwise. For me, it is interesting to see how things are shipped, how things are packed to be sold, and the reactions of the unboxers. The two big “unboxers” in the ukulele world are Bernadette and Katie DeNure—both who probably don’t appeal to many of the people on a forum like UU. Katie is a long-time player and teacher (although not trained as a teacher) and Bernadette is a younger teacher. Both of them seem to be very positive people, and their joy in an unboxing is contagious. I enjoy Vic’s unboxings, too.

So, for me, there is something wonderful about seeing people interact with an instrument the first time.

And some companies, such as Apple, spend as much time creating the packaging and unboxing experience as they do the product itself.

But I also enjoy Barry Maz’s videos where he is giddy about the instrument (e.g. Timms soprano, the recent Kiwaya Soprano Long Neck). Actually, the videos where he is disgusted by an instrument are pretty entertaining, too.

I have a friend whose Klos is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday—but it isn’t very likely that he’ll post an unboxing.

cyber3d
08-12-2018, 08:31 AM
I was being sarcastic guys. :nana:

M3Ukulele
08-12-2018, 09:02 AM
+1 support for Dave’s comment on unblock. Let’s keep it to a sped up 30 sec max. IMHO most video reviews need to be shorter, better planned out. Sorry, you have me for 30 seconds unless I am truly interested. 7-8 minute reviews are too long. Do what MHS does, play the Uke. You can flash the specs in writing after playing it. Then 15 second comment from reviewer of what the like or don’t. No offence to anyone .......just my opinion
Cheers

M3Ukulele
08-12-2018, 09:05 AM
Sorry. Fat fingers on iPad. HMS of course, the gold standard of Uke videos.

Unboxing........quick and short. I sometimes like to see how thing are packed but not 7 minutes worth!

besley
08-12-2018, 01:40 PM
.....I have a friend whose Klos is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday—but it isn’t very likely that he’ll post an unboxing.

I'm the friend getting the Klos on Tuesday. Not sure why he feels I won't be posting an unboxing video.....maybe because he knows I use a 12 year old flip phone instead of a smart phone? As it happens I DO own a Gopro. I just haven't figured out how to use it yet.

Choirguy
08-12-2018, 01:52 PM
I'm the friend getting the Klos on Tuesday. Not sure why he feels I won't be posting an unboxing video.....maybe because he knows I use a 12 year old flip phone instead of a smart phone? As if happens I DO own a Gopro. I just haven't figured out how to use it yet.

Truly a laugh-out-loud moment for me...don’t let besley fool you...he holds a Ph.D and was a polymer chemist for Dow Chemical. He is capable of doing and learning just about anything—although he does have a soft spot in his heart for carbon fiber ukuleles.

Jerryc41
08-13-2018, 03:07 AM
I received this email from Klos.

"They're going slowly but surely. We're hoping to be shipping yours out in the next two weeks."

cyber3d
08-14-2018, 02:37 PM
Just got this email from Klos.

"Hi Backers!

Good news, we’re shipping about 5 ukuleles every day! The new members of our team are getting trained quickly and hopefully two weeks from now we again jump in numbers to 10 or more per day. When your uke is on its way, you’ll receive a tracking number. Only area that is still experiencing delays is electronics. Acoustic electric ukuleles (sonitone and kulas) will be starting to go out at the end of next week. Once you receive your uke, please look out for the review invite for Google and Facebook as well. Each review will be super important for us since the ukulele is a completely new product line for us and you all are the first in the world to receive them! For those of you who have recently purchased a ukulele but haven’t gotten a survey from us, you’ll receive one in the next 1-2 weeks.

As always, reach out with any questions!

Thanks,
Adam"

ukeinfused
08-17-2018, 08:42 AM
OK, Cber3D, I really want to know the story of a uke named "Blood, Sweat, and Tears".

I also read all the way through this thread hoping for an opine on the Klos. Not one uke received yet??

cyber3d
08-17-2018, 12:36 PM
OK, Cber3D, I really want to know the story of a uke named "Blood, Sweat, and Tears".

I also read all the way through this thread hoping for an opine on the Klos. Not one uke received yet??

Oh yes, my little Kala KA-ASOV-S . . . So. my friend (who introduced me to the ukulele) had a bunch of stringed instruments along the wall of her apartment. I showed some interest and she lent me her uke. It was a beautiful Kala KA-ASOV-S and I took it home for several weeks. Once I did get around to playing with it I fell in love with the ukulele. When it came time to return it to her I noticed it had a crack in the topboard. Oh shit. did I do that to her instrument? Gulp. The receipt was still in the case and it was $450. She was out of the country for a couple more weeks and I took it to a local repair shop and they put a brace under the crack, tuned it up and I got it back. In the meantime I did some research and thought it may have been the swinging humidity in my house. I felt so bad that I ruined her uke I bought another one. But, it sounded awful compared to her uke. And I looked inside with a borescope and found really crappy workmanship. Exchanged it and the other one was better but still not close enough. Mind you although I've had violins and long ago had an acoustic guitar I never had a uke before. I could not figure out why the new ones sounded so "tight." So, I brought it back and got my $450+ refunded. I still have some time and went online shopping. That uke is no longer in production so I was really happy to find one. Where? Walmart of all places! and for $167!!! Holy crap. I figured I'm sunk anyway. So, I bought it and received it the day before she returned. I brought her broken uke back to her and explained how sorry I was to have ruined her ukulele. You know, what she said? "Oh, that thing. It was broken long ago. ha ha." OMG. I was so relieved. Then I told her my travails trying to replace it. We had a good laugh. We are still good friends and I drive her once a month to our ukulele meetup nearby. So, now I have this purdy Kala. I proceeded to learn as much as I could about uke prep and went to work on the action, polishing the frets, doing a thorough borescope inspection of the insides and going through 2 sets of strings in addition to the original set. Ended up mixing brands of string to find the most harmonious combination. And you know, it finally sounds pretty damn close to hers. And that's why I named it "Blood, Sweat, and Tears' Bet you didn't see that coming!

besley
08-17-2018, 04:04 PM
......Not one uke received yet??.......

Got mine Tuesday - and as Choirguy suggested, there will NOT be an unboxing video. No photos till later either, as my wife has my camera (and my flip phone doesn't take photos).

Right now I am loving it...but there were a couple of setup issues that I contacted them about. I ordered mine low G, but the slotted bridge was cut for a very narrow high G string width. So I had to file open that slot to get the low G of my Living Waters set installed. Also as received the action was 0.125" at the 12th fret, which is high for me. No problem, as I expected to have to file it down some. But by the time I was done, there was not as much as I would like of the saddle left exposed to give a good break angle. That's easily solved, but again I didn't think I should have to be filing away at a brand new uke - saddle yes, bridge, no.

Anyway, I finished my setup, installed a Living Waters low G set, and let them settle in. The strings it came with didn't sound very good, but then I didn't really care, since I was going to change them anyway. Then today I played the uke all afternoon at the Silver Creek International Uke Festival north of Duluth MN. The neck is super straight, with no relief that I can see. With action at the 12th fret of 0.090", and string height at the nut of about 0.015", and no relief, it is the fastest uke neck I have played. And since I ordered mine with the two internal carbon fiber rods to reinforce the neck it should (I hope....) stay that way. Fret work is excellent, no high frets, no sharp ends. I do wish that they had not finished the sides of the wood fretboard to match the glossy neck finish, as that means when I eventually have to file away sharp fret ends I am going to be sanding away at the paint. There are (tiny) side dots at 5, 7, 10, 12, and 15, but not at 3 (which being a guitar player I am used to seeing). The peghead is really small to keep the overall size down, and I wish they had been a bit more generous, both to give more room between the tuners, and to give more room for an electronic tuner. But it's sure cute.

Another nit I have to pick has to do with the strap buttons. The normal way to install strap buttons (at least that I've seen) on carbon fiber instruments is to use a bolt and nut. But Klos have chosen to use a small block of wood on the inside of the body to allow them to simply use a wood screw. Which is fine, I guess, except that they used about a 1" square of blond wood - which stands out like a sore thumb up against all that black carbon fiber when you look inside the sound hole. How much trouble would it have been to paint that black first? It did come with a nicely fitted nylon case that contained perhaps a 1/8" foam padding.

Choirguy tried it briefly, and said he didn't think it was that loud. Could be, though I didn't get that impression (certainly my low action could be reducing the volume). It's not as loud as my Farallon for sure. As for the quality of the sound, it sounds good to me. Not as rich as my Farallon (at 3X the price), but really good. I spent the afternoon playing a lot of chords up the neck between frets 3 and 7, and the intonation sounded fine. I think if I had been able to comparison shop the Klos and my Farallon, side by side, I would have been hard pressed to justify the higher price of the Farallon, since back then I wouldn't have known enough to appreciate the Farallon. Of course the Klos does still have a wood neck and fretboard, so it isn't in the same league as the Farallon or Clara. But it's not bad, especially given the price.

So I think there have been (or will be) some birthing pains with the new Klos - all of them easily fixed. But in spite of my gripes, I still consider it a keeper, and am glad I bought it.

cyber3d
08-17-2018, 06:30 PM
Awesome review besley!

Jerryc41
08-18-2018, 01:44 AM
Got mine Tuesday

Thanks for that. When did you order yours? I ordered mine in June for August delivery.

besley
08-18-2018, 04:28 PM
Thanks for that. When did you order yours? I ordered mine in June for August delivery.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I ordered back in February.

70sSanO
08-23-2018, 12:47 PM
I got my Klos today and I had a similar experience as besely... action quite high. I filed the saddle down and have not taken any material off the wood bridge. The action is at .090" at the 12th. The action seems a little high beyond that and I might lower it a bit more. The bridge is thick enough and the saddle slot is deep enough so it should not be an issue to remove some material.

The fit and finish is excellent. I was surprised how nice it looks.

The intonation is right on. And it plays easily up the neck.

It sounds pretty good with the stock strings, but no one will mistake the sound for a Farallon. It sounds a little too thin re-entrant tuned to C, but much better tuned to B. I need to test out different strings to see if there are any improvements. And I have to agree with Choirboy, it is not a loud ukulele.

I bought this to be used in any environment and I think I will work quite well for that. It seems to me to be an excellent upgrade from a carbon outdoor ukulele while still maintaining most of the environmental resistance properties. I ordered mine with the neck stiffeners.

John

cyber3d
08-23-2018, 01:11 PM
Hey guys, be sure to send KLOS feedback on the action heights!

besley
08-23-2018, 02:34 PM
I got my Klos today and I had a similar experience as besely... action quite high. I filed the saddle down and have not taken any material off the wood bridge. The action is at .090" at the 12th. The action seems a little high beyond that and I might lower it a bit more. The bridge is thick enough and the saddle slot is deep enough so it should not be an issue to remove some material.

The fit and finish is excellent. I was surprised how nice it looks.

The intonation is right on. And it plays easily up the neck.

It sounds pretty good with the stock strings, but no one will mistake the sound for a Farallon. It sounds a little too thin re-entrant tuned to C, but much better tuned to B. I need to test out different strings to see if there are any improvements. And I have to agree with Choirboy, it is not a loud ukulele.

I bought this to be used in any environment and I think I will work quite well for that. It seems to me to be an excellent upgrade from a carbon outdoor ukulele while still maintaining most of the environmental resistance properties. I ordered mine with the neck stiffeners.

John

Good to hear that you like yours too. I've been in touch with the marketing folks at Klos and have already provided the same feedback I've given here. I added that no acoustic guitarist would accept a guitar with action over 8/64", so why are they sending ukes that way? And if they want to provide such high action, then the saddle needs to have enough clearance from the bridge to allow for lower action and a good break angle. So use a thinner bridge!

Both my Farallon and the Klos have Living Waters low G strings on them, and now that things have settled down I can add that while the Klos still sounds good - and plays great - it doesn't have the same quality of sound that the Farallon does. I do think it has a more full sound than the Outdoor tenor, but you'd have to play them side by side to determine whether the Klos is worth twice the cost of the Outdoor. And since the Klos does still have a wood neck I probably wouldn't suggest keeping it in the trunk of your car all summer.

70sSanO
08-23-2018, 05:37 PM
I have only heard clips of an outdoor tenor; probably tuned to C. I will say that the more I play my Klos tuned down to B, the more I like it. I'm pretty sure I can improve it with the right strings. With the lower tuning, maybe use slightly heavier strings.

I won't leave mine in the trunk all Summer, but I plan on taking it with me in the car whenever I want, regardless of the weather. It is the reason I bought it. My only concern would be moisture on the fretboard and bridge.

One change I will probably make someday is replacing the somewhat cheap chrome tuners with black ones.

John

70sSanO
08-24-2018, 06:48 AM
One more thing. It is a very balanced sound between strings. Also going from a finger pad/thumb strum to a nail strum is a nice transition sound. It doesn't have that mellow to harsh change that some ukes have.

I would also say the fingerpicking notes are very articulate and not muddy with good volume control. That clarity may be just a fallout from the use of plastic and not wood.

John

70sSanO
08-24-2018, 04:30 PM
One more thing. The stock strings are enourmous. The 1st A string is .027" (about .7mm) and the 3rd C string is .040 (about 1mm). I can't remember any strings this thick. They look like nylon strings, probably using nylon line. I plan on stringing up some Oasis Warms to see how it sounds. Will probably follow besely and sand the bridge a little thinner while I am at it.

Unfortunately all of this doesn't lend itself well to those who are not inclined to put in this type of effort.

John

70sSanO
08-25-2018, 11:15 AM
Swapped out the stock strings for Oasis Warms. Oasis Warms/Brights are my go string that works for most of my ukes. I'll fine tune them with a Seaguar string depending of what I'm trying to add or take away. The Oasis Warms do wonders for this ukulele. Tuned to re-entrant C is sounds quite nice. A little deeper sounding than my koa tenor. I still prefer B tuning and they work well except the tension is right at the edge of getting an open howl. Not sure if I just need more wraps on the tuners to "enhance" the break angle.

I did do a little sanding on the bridge, about 1/32" just to have more saddle showing. I used a nut file on the string slots to chamfer the end to ever-so-slightly improve the break angle.

Overall I am quite pleased with the results. The ukulele sounds really nice with the Oasis Warms. It is a lot of fun to play. Maybe a few too many steps to get there.

John

besley
08-25-2018, 03:34 PM
.....Unfortunately all of this doesn't lend itself well to those who are not inclined to put in this type of effort......

Ain't that the truth. I imagine most folks here reading about our joint experiences would be turned off on the uke. But I really like mine. It plays great (now...), sounds quite good with the Living Waters fluorocarbons, and the couple of people I showed it to at a ukefest last week were impressed. It's worth the effort (IMNSHO).

cyber3d
08-25-2018, 04:39 PM
When my Klos gets in I am going to take it to my guy Jason Arimoto downtown to fix the action and put on his branded strings or Pepe Romero strings (with a wound low G).

70sSanO
08-25-2018, 06:26 PM
Hey guys, be sure to send KLOS feedback on the action heights!

I sent an email off to them pretty much detailing what I posted here. I also noted their slotted bridge where the C and E string slots follow the shape of the bridge and that makes them 1/8" further away from the saddle than the E and at, which reduces the string break. Basically asked them who dreamt up that design.

The strings do sit pretty far in from the edge if the fretboard, 4mm at the nut and a whopping 5.5mm at the 12th fret. This reminds me of my wife's Kala. It does make it impossible to gutter a string... lol.

The carbon fiber construction is actually quite good and it has a nice sound for a plastic ukulele. The oddities do make me wonder if anyone at KLOS understands how a ukulele needs to be designed to deliver a well setup instrument. What is unfortunate is that these are not cost drivers.

John

Jerryc41
08-26-2018, 01:38 AM
Mine is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday, but I'm sure I won't find the faults that you experts did. I handled and played one just a bit last week, and I liked it. I'll leave the original strings on it till they wear out or break.

besley
08-26-2018, 01:14 PM
Mine is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday, but I'm sure I won't find the faults that you experts did. I handled and played one just a bit last week, and I liked it. I'll leave the original strings on it till they wear out or break.

I'm sure you'll like yours too. But hey, I ain't no expert - I'm just picky! (And opinionated.)

70sSanO
08-26-2018, 02:36 PM
I'm sure you'll like yours too. But hey, I ain't no expert - I'm just picky! (And opinionated.)

I'm the same way. We gave our grandson, who was 1-1/2 years old, a Makala Dolphin for Christmas. I set it up including lowering the frets at the nut and getting the intonation as good as possible. The ukulele has held up remarkably well for spending time in and out of a toy box and being dragged around. Just one ding and no cracks or breaks. Whenever we visit I tune it up and play it. It actually sounds pretty good.

John

Ctmpwrdcamry
08-27-2018, 02:18 AM
My is scheduled to arrive Wednesday but FedEx bumped to Thursday. I hope that Klos is making improvements as they get feedback. I have a friend that can set up guitars, I have no idea if he knows a think about Ukueles. Might need to get some help with it. That said, i am still very excited!

Jerryc41
08-27-2018, 03:19 AM
My is scheduled to arrive Wednesday but FedEx bumped to Thursday. I hope that Klos is making improvements as they get feedback. I have a friend that can set up guitars, I have no idea if he knows a think about Ukueles. Might need to get some help with it. That said, i am still very excited!

A friend gave her young grandson a Waterman, but he preferred a "real" wooden ukulele. :D

70sSanO
08-29-2018, 01:02 PM
I have gone with lighter strings... .022, .028, .026, .020 (G-A, not 1st-4th) and tuned the ukulele to re-entrant C. I really like the higher tuning with the lighter strings. For now, that looks to be where it will stay. Plus since it is tuned to C, I can play with the rest of the normal ukulele world.

The one thing that is bothering me is the string width. The string width measures 1-1/16 (1.062") at the nut. This does make it a little cramped, at least for me. The good news is the fretboard width is a little over 1-3/8 (measures 1.4) at the nut so there is plenty of room to widen the strings. I plan on replacing the nut, but will need to know how it is glued. Hopefully with CA. At the bridge the strings are 1-17/32 (1.530"). Probably a little tight for some, but I actually have a couple ukes that are 1-1/2 (1.5") at the bridge and can play fingerstyle on them.

John

Sharpshin
08-29-2018, 05:41 PM
I read all these. I am so glad I did not get in on the bleeding edge of this order. I am sure Klos will recalibrate as they go along and all will be well in the future.
There is no luthiers here where I live that give a plinky-plink about ukes. They just shake their heads and say they don't understand why people want ukes. I have had one at a repair shop for 3 weeks just to get strap pins installed. 2 calls in and still no return calls so I can get my uke back. Now I am a little worried. I will and can do my own, in the future..but all that set up work for these new Klos seems a bit much. Just my two cents, is all.

Jerryc41
08-30-2018, 03:01 AM
I read all these. I am so glad I did not get in on the bleeding edge of this order. I am sure Klos will recalibrate as they go along and all will be well in the future.
There is no luthiers here where I live that give a plinky-plink about ukes. They just shake their heads and say they don't understand why people want ukes. I have had one at a repair shop for 3 weeks just to get strap pins installed. 2 calls in and still no return calls so I can get my uke back. Now I am a little worried. I will and can do my own, in the future..but all that set up work for these new Klos seems a bit much. Just my two cents, is all.

There are snobs in every aspect of life. You could have sent your uke to any one of a dozen people on UU, and they would have installed your tuners - for free I bet. I'd be concerned about the level of work a person would do if he has no respect for ukuleles. Why not go and get your uke and make an appeal here?

I tend to be rather patient, but waiting for my Klos is making me edgy. I'm glad that someone in our group received hers, or I'd be worried.

70sSanO
08-30-2018, 10:11 AM
I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. The KLOS ukulele is a very nice uke and in comparison to any other carbon fiber ukulele it is a real bargain. The KLOS ukulele is very well made. It also sounds and plays better than a lot of laminate ukuleles that I have tried over the years. It has a very balanced tone. My KLOS ukulele will not be posted on the marketplace anytime soon.

I didn't have to sand the bridge to be able to lower the action, I sanded it to expose more saddle above the bridge. The basic ukulele comes with D'Addario nylon strings, the deluxe version has D'Adarrio fluorocarbon strings. Swapping strings is not a big deal.

The only change I will be making in the near future is to replace the nut since the string spacing at the nut is around .350" between strings and not the "more" standard of .375"/10mm spacing. The narrower spacing is not much different than some Kalas I've played. Keep in mind that I have three other tenors and I have replaced the nut and saddle on all of them.

These are just observations that will hopefully help anyone who is interested in the ukulele.

John

Jerryc41
08-31-2018, 01:00 AM
These are just observations that will hopefully help anyone who is interested in the ukulele.

John

They "hope" to ship mine next week.

70sSanO
09-03-2018, 01:24 PM
One thing that bugged me was the chrome washers that sit under the hex bushings. Since the headstock is smaller than normal the washers look enormous; like 4 big buttons. I couldn't find any black metal washers that would fit, so I picked up some nylon washers at Ace Hardware. I used a dremel and a round file to get them to the right ID. I know it is personal taste, but I like the cleaner look.

I am also not a fan of the plastic pearloid tuner buttons on this uke, so I used some chrome guitar buttons I had laying around. They might be a little big, and I may one day swap them out, but for me it gives a nice beefy look.

John

cyber3d
09-03-2018, 01:59 PM
One thing that bugged me was the chrome washers that sit under the hex bushings. Since the headstock is smaller than normal the washers look enormous; like 4 big buttons. I couldn't find any black metal washers that would fit, so I picked up some nylon washers at Ace Hardware. I used a dremel and a round file to get them to the right ID. I know it is personal taste, but I like the cleaner look.

I am also not a fan of the plastic pearloid tuner buttons on this uke, so I used some chrome guitar buttons I had laying around. They might be a little big, and I may one day swap them out, but for me it gives a nice beefy look.

John

Very cool. You've got me thinking about how to customize mine when it arrives!

besley
09-04-2018, 06:28 AM
From a couple of the videos I've seen I think the all black Graph Tech Ratio Tuners that were offered as an option look much better than the silver and white standard tuners, and I now wish I'd gone with them instead. But I still feel the $75 upcharge was a bit much, and the standard tuners work just fine. I also wonder if they would have changed out the G string tuner for a different ratio if you were going with low G instead of high G?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2547/8010/products/Headstock_Gradient_800x.png?v=1523513951

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2547/8010/products/Headstock_Flat_800x.png?v=1523513958

70sSanO
09-04-2018, 11:40 AM
I saw there was a option, but never checked them out. Black looks really nice. But $75 for 4 sealed ukulele tuners for such a low string tension is too much for me. I might swap mine out for black one day. You can get black Grover or Gotoh 3R+3L for around $50. Used for less or a new no name set for $20.

John

Jerryc41
09-05-2018, 02:04 AM
I saw there was a option, but never checked them out. Black looks really nice. But $75 for 4 sealed ukulele tuners for such a low string tension is too much for me. I might swap mine out for black one day. You can get black Grover or Gotoh 3R+3L for around $50. Used for less or a new no name set for $20.

John

The cheapest I could find were $60 delivered for three used tuners on Reverb. They look nice, but they're a bit pricey. I'll stick with the silver tuners, if my Klos ever arrives.

70sSanO
09-05-2018, 08:31 AM
The cheapest I could find were $60 delivered for three used tuners on Reverb. They look nice, but they're a bit pricey. I'll stick with the silver tuners, if my Klos ever arrives.

If price is the major concern, go to eBay. No name new black 3R+3L from China for $10; obviously not going to be the smoothest operating but neither are the stock silver ones. New Gotohs Minis for around $40.

John

Jerryc41
09-05-2018, 09:14 AM
If price is the major concern, go to eBay. No name new black 3R+3L from China for $10; obviously not going to be the smoothest operating but neither are the stock silver ones. New Gotohs Minis for around $40.

John

Thanks. I've never seen Gotohs priced that low. I've bought them from HMS for $59. I can live with the silver on the klos.

70sSanO
09-17-2018, 05:16 PM
So... the bridge slots on my KLOS are all the same length from the end of the bridge, not from the saddle. This reduces the break angle of the 2nd and 3rd strings. I can't tell if this was by design or for aesthetic purposes, but it has bugged me. I decided to see how deep the string recesses went into the bridge. They appear to all go to the same depth. I decided to take a couple of nut files and painstakingly lengthen the string slot length on the bridge. It is basically a 1/8" stroke of the file.

Some days later I arrived closer to the 1st and 4th strings on the on the C string slot. I tested the string a couple of times and stopped a little short of making it the same depth, just in case there was some forethought on the original slot length resulting in too much tension. It does improve the volume, but maybe some care should be taken, or not, in cutting too much so that the increased angle (tension) causes a boom or choke the sound, hence the sneaking up on the slot length.

Here is a comparison of the 3rd (C) string slot to the original slot length (Ref 2nd, E, string). FWIW... I did send the pic off to KLOS. But I cannot imagine anyone intentionally designed this from an engineering perspective.

I also replaced the nut to widen the string spacing to the standard .375"/10mm. It is held on with CA (superglue) and comes off easily with a slight tap using a block of wood.

John

70sSanO
09-18-2018, 03:00 PM
I talked to Ian at KLOS today. They are in the process of evaluating and incorporating some of the things I sent off to them. They are changing the neck angle slightly so there will not be a high bridge/low saddle issue. They are looking into the narrow string spacing at the nut.

They had rationale for the string slots based on piezo pickups in their guitars and from their ukulele testing there was no sound difference, but they may just make them the same distance from the saddle. I told them to do what they thought best, but since most of my ukes are tie and the saddle break angle is the same, I thought it was odd. They said it was typical of other slotted bridges. I can only recall the Kamaka slotted bridge, but I imagine there are others. We talked a little about strings. All-in-all a good discussion.

I recommended he talk to others since everyone has personal preferences; which he is already doing.

John

cyber3d
09-18-2018, 04:32 PM
I talked to Ian at KLOS today. They are in the process of evaluating and incorporating some of the things I sent off to them. They are changing the neck angle slightly so there will not be a high bridge/low saddle issue. They are looking into the narrow string spacing at the nut.

They had rationale for the string slots based on piezo pickups in their guitars and from their ukulele testing there was no sound difference, but they may just make them the same distance from the saddle. I told them to do what they thought best, but since most of my ukes are tie and the saddle break angle is the same, I thought it was odd. They said it was typical of other slotted bridges. I can only recall the Kamaka slotted bridge, but I imagine there are others. We talked a little about strings. All-in-all a good discussion.

I recommended he talk to others since everyone has personal preferences; which he is already doing.

John

You're an awesome dude John!

besley
10-12-2018, 02:29 PM
Hey, hasn't anyone else received a Klos Uke lately? Seemed as if a few folks mentioned they were waiting, so I thought there would be more feedback by now. Are they doing a better job on the setup now?

UkueBass23
10-13-2018, 04:19 AM
Following and appreciate all the reviews and commentary. I always go to school with this group when new ukes are coming in. I am very interested in this instrument but for the price tag, I am waiting to see what adjustments are being made.
Thanks everyone!
GPC

cyber3d
10-13-2018, 07:19 AM
Just read a post from Adam Klosowiak that my DelxElecAcoust is being made right now! Should have it in a week! Pics to samples to come. I might swing by the shop and have Jason Arimoto check it out and make adjustments and string change first however.

Jerryc41
10-14-2018, 03:58 AM
I got mine at the end of September, and it's just as nice as I thought it would be. I got the stiffening rods, strap buttons, and strap. If you find it too slippery to hold comfortably, these pads work very well. The woman who came up with the idea was selling them at the Funky Frets Uke Fest last week. Three people in our group bought them, and I ordered two more.

https://www.stickinwithmyuke.com/

lifereinspired
10-15-2018, 11:49 AM

John

Hello, @70sSanO, I know this is probably a terribly "newbie" question but can one just swap out the "tuner grips"? (Is that the right term? If not, please let me know!) That is what I understood that you did. I never liked the white tuner grips and, like most everyone else here, I thought that the black ratio tuner upgrade was well overpriced. Plus, I was already a little perturbed at the costs of all the little "extras" ($20 for Low-G, $20 for strap buttons, $30 for TUSC Nut, $30 for stiffening rods, nylon vs fluoro strings, etc) and didn't feel like an extra $75 for what, for me, would have been a purely aesthetic upgrade. Having said that, I'd love to switch them over to black, if that's possible!

I believe I was in the low 80's for my Indiegogo backer number, so, my understanding is that my KLOS was shipped after they decided to make the switch to lower the action from 3.0mm to 2.5mm. However, I still find it more difficult to play than my Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Soprano, who's action is lower. In fact, I've had enough difficulty that it's been discouraging me about my playing. But once I tried the OU again, I realize it's dealing with getting used to the new uke. For instance, on my OU, I can do barre (bar?) chords without any trouble but trying with all my might, I cannot get a good bar on the KLOS.

I'd love to hear suggestions from anyone as to things I could easily do to make the KLOS easier to play. I'm a little worried about trying to lower the action further because KLOS said something about how they felt this was the most they could lower the action without causing significant buzzing - and indeed, I do get some buzzing as it is occasionally. However, I read earlier in this thread that people felt that the included (nylon) strings were incredibly thick. I'm curious if switching out strings might improve things. I thought I read that different type strings (even on a tenor) have different string tension so that there may exist a type of strings that also have lower tension in addition to being "thinner". Did I dream that up? Would this also help make it easier to play? I'm open to considering most any strings. It's not a huge cost difference to swap them out. Oddly, I'm not having much trouble with the wound Low-G but the other 3 nylon strings, I'm having a great deal of trouble with. Is there anything else you can think of that might help? I don't have any real skill re: working on a uke, which is why I'm asking about simple things to begin with. :)

Just to give a bit of extra info, I have a rare genetic disease that causes my collagen to be faulty (and have literal head to toe significant health issues as a result). One of the effects are hypermobile, weak joints across my body. One of the reasons that I decided to try uke (other than falling in love with it) was that it would help my hands to be a bit stronger. Having said that, as much as I try to work on my hand strength, there is simply no way they will every be "normal" strength. I only say this because I'm not trying to avoid "putting in the work" to get my hands better, it's just a realistic fact that my finger joints will dislocate and always be loose. This is why I'm trying to seek ways to make the KLOS more easily playable, like my OU. I have to say, I personally love the intonation and the resonance of the KLOS so I really hope I can make it easier for me to play. :)

Lastly, I want to get one of the D'Addario Micro Tuners for the KLOS but I'm not liking the clip-on version on the high gloss finish (I'm borrowing it from my spouse for the moment). I'm considering the D'Addario NS Micro Soundhole Tuner or the D'Addario NS Micro Clip-Free Tuner. Any thoughts as to which one might work best? I think either will be OK on this uke in terms of fit, but I'd love to hear opinions on which might be better and why. I'm including links to both below.

D'Addario NS Micro Soundhole Tuner:
http://www.daddario.com/pwProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=4115&productid=1073

D'Addario NS Micro Clip-Free Tuner:
http://www.daddario.com/pwProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=4115&productid=1156

besley
10-15-2018, 05:57 PM
.......I believe I was in the low 80's for my Indiegogo backer number, so, my understanding is that my KLOS was shipped after they decided to make the switch to lower the action from 3.0mm to 2.5mm. However, I still find it more difficult to play than my Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Soprano, who's action is lower. In fact, I've had enough difficulty that it's been discouraging me about my playing. But once I tried the OU again, I realize it's dealing with getting used to the new uke. For instance, on my OU, I can do barre (bar?) chords without any trouble but trying with all my might, I cannot get a good bar on the KLOS.

I'd love to hear suggestions from anyone as to things I could easily do to make the KLOS easier to play. I'm a little worried about trying to lower the action further because KLOS said something about how they felt this was the most they could lower the action without causing significant buzzing - and indeed, I do get some buzzing as it is occasionally. However, I read earlier in this thread that people felt that the included (nylon) strings were incredibly thick. I'm curious if switching out strings might improve things. I thought I read that different type strings (even on a tenor) have different string tension so that there may exist a type of strings that also have lower tension in addition to being "thinner". Did I dream that up? Would this also help make it easier to play? I'm open to considering most any strings. It's not a huge cost difference to swap them out. Oddly, I'm not having much trouble with the wound Low-G but the other 3 nylon strings, I'm having a great deal of trouble with. Is there anything else you can think of that might help? I don't have any real skill re: working on a uke, which is why I'm asking about simple things to begin with. :)......

All it needs is a good setup. Mine (#11) came with about 3.2 mm action at the 12th fret, and I lowered it to 2.2 mm (~0.090") at the 12th. I also lowered the action at the nut from between 0.030" and 0.040" down to 0.020" on all strings. No buzzing, using Living Waters low G fluorocarbon strings. And when he tried my Klos out Choirguy commented about just how low I had the action. So really you just need to take it to a good tech and suggest these sort of values as a goal. An alternative would be to take both your Klos and your OU to a good tech, and tell him to set up the Klos to be as low as the OU. (All of which serves to point out just how good the Outdoor ukuleles are, for just $150!)

70sSanO
10-15-2018, 08:59 PM
The tuner "grips" are called buttons, sometimes knobs. They are not all the same. I'm guessing Gotoh compatible tuner buttons, would work, but I'm not positive. This is based on most import tuning machines seem to look more like Gotohs than Grover's.

In a nutshell, as mentioned above, the ukulele needs to be setup. After tuning down to B instead of C, I occasionally get a slight buzz on the B (3rd) string. My action is set at .095". I will probably lower it a bit more and see how it is. I don't really want to do any fret work, but that might be unavoidable. After taking it on a week long vacation, I found it a bit challenging at times, compared to my wood tenors, but overall it fit the situation. It does lack a bit of volume.

For you, the obvious issue is having to pay for a setup on a new ukulele, but it is what it is. Unfortunately for the buyers of the early production units, the newer ones should have incorporated some improvements. Whether that results in improved playability, I can't answer.

John

Jerryc41
10-16-2018, 12:59 AM
I'd love to hear suggestions from anyone as to things I could easily do to make the KLOS easier to play. I'm open to considering most any strings. It's not a huge cost difference to swap them out. Oddly, I'm not having much trouble with the wound Low-G but the other 3 nylon strings, I'm having a great deal of trouble with. Is there anything else you can think of that might help? I don't have any real skill re: working on a uke, which is why I'm asking about simple things to begin with. :)

Lastly, I want to get one of the D'Addario Micro Tuners for the KLOS but I'm not liking the clip-on version on the high gloss finish (I'm borrowing it from my spouse for the moment). I'm considering the D'Addario NS Micro Soundhole Tuner or the D'Addario NS Micro Clip-Free Tuner. Any thoughts as to which one might work best? I think either will be OK on this uke in terms of fit, but I'd love to hear opinions on which might be better and why. I'm including links to both below.

I have a couple of micro tuners, but it isn't like either of the ones you linked. Mine is more like the second one, but without the screw. I'd never screw a tuner into a uke. This tuner works very welly, and is definitely out of site. I put is on the bottom of the headstock. I know what you mean about the scratch potential, though, A bit of rubber on the grips might help.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009LL2ZAM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My favorite tuner is the Snark. It's big and obvious, but it responds quickly. Tuners are like pens. I have lots of them spread all over the house.
https://smile.amazon.com/Snark-SN6X-Clip-Ukulele-Current/dp/B01H74YXNQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1539687392&sr=1-3&keywords=snark+ukulele+tuner

There must be a good music shop within driving driving distance. Doing a custom setup should be easy for a professional. If you get the strings down to 3 mm or less, it should be more comfortable. Be aware that going too low can mess things up.

As for the "tuning machines," a search on Amazon showed 274 items. I don't find the standard Klos tuners offensive, nor do I mind the action as the instrument came from Klos. Half a mm one way or the other is okay with me.
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_22?url=search-alias%3Dmi&field-keywords=ukulele+tuning+machines

richyumul
10-17-2018, 02:40 AM
Howdy - I just got mine yesterday, and besley, your post from 8-17 pretty much described my experience. High action, and the low g slot on the nut was too small. I'm planning on swapping out the strings too. How did you adjust the height in the bridge? Did you just sand it on the ukulele?

besley
10-17-2018, 03:43 AM
Howdy - I just got mine yesterday, and besley, your post from 8-17 pretty much described my experience. High action, and the low g slot on the nut was too small. I'm planning on swapping out the strings too. How did you adjust the height in the bridge? Did you just sand it on the ukulele?

Oh dear, I hoped they would have improved things by now - and we are probably scaring off potential buyers with all of our stories of required setup work. Anyway, as part of my initial setup up I first adjusted the string height at the nut, and then sanded down the saddle. Seeing there wasn't much of the saddle left standing proud of the bridge I removed the strings and saddle, and covered the top with masking tape. Then I just used a sanding block directly on the bridge with 80 grit paper until I had lowered it enough (stopping frequently to measure the height with a digital caliper). I then followed up with finer grits to tidy up, and finished up with oiling the bridge with fretboard oil (and did the fretboard too while I was at it). I'm very pleased with the result, and the uke is well worth the effort to get the setup just right.

Martinlover
10-17-2018, 06:24 AM
Received mine and am selling it. I bought it because all my friends were all doing it, and yes, I would jump off a bridge if they were doing that, too. I got the electric version with all the bells and whistles. The uke sounds better than I thought it would. Fun to plug in and play. Has the built in tuner, which is handy. Itís a looker, too, with the black tuners. Iíll be selling it because while I was waiting for it I acquired 3 more ukuleles. So the Klos is a bit redundant for me. I got a baritone and really dig that right now. I am offering the Klos to my local ukulele groups first to avoid shipping. If no one bites, Iíll try selling it on the UU marketplace.

richyumul
10-17-2018, 06:14 PM
Yah, I think the neck and frets feel good, and the overall quality feels solid. The action just needs to be adjusted...

Jerryc41
10-18-2018, 01:56 AM
Received mine and am selling it. I bought it because all my friends were all doing it, and yes, I would jump off a bridge if they were doing that, too.

Oh, how sweet of you! I must admit, we do have two nice groups.

richyumul
10-21-2018, 05:23 AM
I had the slots filed down on the nut, and it plays WAY better. I’m thoroughly enjoying playing it now. #happycamper

Solarbuddy
10-22-2018, 12:27 PM
I'm not exactly a Uke newbie, but I've never had a uke "set up" but feel that my Klos needs some professional attention. How can I find a place in S. California that can be relied upon to do that well? Any recommendations?

hendulele
10-22-2018, 01:39 PM
I'm not exactly a Uke newbie, but I've never had a uke "set up" but feel that my Klos needs some professional attention. How can I find a place in S. California that can be relied upon to do that well? Any recommendations?

You should contact McCabe's in Santa Monica and see if they'll do it. I'd be shocked if they don't have a luthier.

cyber3d
10-22-2018, 06:47 PM

Solarbuddy, I recommend George Kaye (Kaye's Music Scene) 19369 Victory Blvd. Reseda CA 91335 (818)881-5566 I visited his amazing store today and we talked for a while. This guy is for real. There is another place in Downtown Los Angeles is U-Space Ukuleles. Jason Arimoto is the owner/operator. He has worked on all my ukuleles and is a wonderful uke artist. 244 San Pedro St, Los Angeles, CA 90012 (323)577-5567

Jerryc41
10-23-2018, 12:59 AM
Solarbuddy, I recommend George Kaye (Kaye's Music Scene) 19369 Victory Blvd. Reseda CA 91335 (818)881-5566 I visited his amazing store today and we talked for a while. This guy is for real. There is another place in Downtown Los Angeles is U-Space Ukuleles. Jason Arimoto is the owner/operator. He has worked on all my ukuleles and is a wonderful uke artist. 244 San Pedro St, Los Angeles, CA 90012 (323)577-5567

I'm sorry to see this new ukulele getting so much bad publicity. Mine was fine right out of the box, but maybe I'm nut as particular as some people. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again if something happened to mine. Three people in our group have them, and they always get compliments on the appearance and the sound.

70sSanO
10-23-2018, 11:28 AM
Some of the nut issues have to do with the thick nylon strings that are used on the basic uke. In my conversation with KLOS, I was told that the nut slots are cut in a "V" shape to accommodate both the thicker nylon and thinner fluorocarbon strings. The problem with this is the thicker nylon strings sit higher in the nut (V shape) and make the uke more difficult to play; even when I swapped out the nylon with with fluorocarbon string it was better, but the nut slots needed some work to suit my preference.

A one size nut slot fits all approach doesn't make too much sense. Nor do the nylon strings to save a few bucks. It is a very good ukulele, it should have decent strings and be shipped with a playable setup that will allow for some additional lowering of the action. In my opinion strings set at 2.5mm at the 12th fret and a .2mm at the first fret (while fretting the string at the 3rd) is playable and still allows the strings to be brought down to 2.25mm or less (12th) and just touching the first fret (fretted 3rd).

John

cyber3d
11-03-2018, 02:01 PM
Ok, so just received my Deluxe Acoustic Electric with Low G and stiffeners. OH BABY, It is beautiful!!!! It feels so good in my hands. It is a fabulous instrument. It weighs just a bit more than my Tiny Tenor. I just plugged it in and I am thoroughly impressed with the Fishman Kula. The setup is on the money. Action and intonation is great across the neck from top to bottom. So, they got the messages from you all. Ok, I agree it could use better strings. The more I play it I realize that C string is enormous. And booms a lot from the 7th to 9th fret. But, they are fairly decent. I'll leave that up to Jason Arimoto when I drop it off to him. The neck is thicker than my Tiny Tenor (thicker not wider) I'll have to get used to it.

Is the KLOS considered a long neck Tenor?

Anyway, without a strap, it feels out of balance with most of the weight towards the neck. But the wide grippy strap makes it feel balanced.

Time will tell if this become my favorite. It most certainly will be the one that travels with me. And the only electric that I currently have.

70sSanO
11-03-2018, 06:26 PM
The KLOS is a standard 17" tenor scale.

John

besley
11-03-2018, 07:15 PM
Ok, so just received my Deluxe Acoustic Electric with Low G and stiffeners. OH BABY, It is beautiful!!!! It feels so good in my hands. It is a fabulous instrument. It weighs just a bit more than my Tiny Tenor. I just plugged it in and I am thoroughly impressed with the Fishman Kula. The setup is on the money. Action and intonation is great across the neck from top to bottom. So, they got the messages from you all.

That's great to hear. Enjoy!

cyber3d
11-08-2018, 07:20 AM
Having had my KLOS uke for a few days now. I really love it. It certainly is becoming my daily player. What I really like about the uke is I don't have to mess about with humidifiers and can toss it in the back of my car without heat worries. Plus it is electric (the only electric/acoustic I have) and that is a world of fun.

It is a different animal from my solid mahogany tiny tenor. So, it's not like I'll be selling the TT. It sounds and plays differently. At this point if I were to characterize it's personality I would say it is a great all around uke. Finger picking classical to strumming to shredding it can play soft and it can play loud. I doubt it will ever display the subtleness of my TT. I think that is just the character of Carbon Fibre. CF is categorized as an advanced plastic. I'm actually quite happily surprised it plays and sounds as good as it does. As the strings settle in and I adapt my playing style to get more out of it the fun will ensue. BTW, I did switch out the C string (D'addario fluorocarbon) with a Living Water fluorocarbon and it has helped.

dogloose
11-12-2018, 08:43 AM
Hello everyone. I just received my Klos Deluxe Acoustic Electric ukulele with Low G. Beautiful looking, feels great, plays well up and down the neck. I would call the tone full but mellow. Sounds especially nice when plugged in to my Fishman Loudbox Mini amplifier. I'll be playing on some holiday gigs in Houston with the electric setup.

Question: Does anyone know what size batteries the Fishman Kula pickup system takes? The aftermarket version of the Kula sold by Fishman has a door/tray for a "button" battery that is accessible on a plate by the input jack. The version that Klos is installing has no plate with battery access by the jack. It looks to be custom developed based on the placement of the pre-amp controls and what appears to be the battery housing inside the body. No clue on what's inside there though.

I haven't messed with it yet, but since the instrument did not come with any instructions, I wonder what the recommended procedure to change out the battery might be? Maybe shove the strings aside... or loosen or take them off completely in order to gain access? It also would be nice to know how long the batteries are expected to last, seeing as the process does not appear to be very friendly.

Thanks to anyone who can help shed some light on this mystery.

dogloose
11-12-2018, 11:17 AM
Thanks for that link... but the pictures seem to illustrate the after market version with the battery door and jack in one housing (the third and fourth pictures show the jack and door clearly seen together.) I don't think that's the Klos setup. The "bag" inside the Klos ukulele may have something similar that holds two CR2032 batteries or even a different configuration... could it be that there is an unused jack also parked in there? I'm still not ready to start messing around and shove my big mitts inside the body to pull thinks apart not knowing what to expect. Still looking for a more definitive answer... I wrote an email to Klos hoping they can provide the facts... but of course if anyone here has already dug in please share...

70sSanO
11-12-2018, 02:12 PM
I'm sure KLOS will get back to you. While you are waiting you could pick up a cheap inspection mirror from Harbor Freight and take a flashlight and have a look. It should be pretty to find the battery box.

John

dogloose
11-12-2018, 06:27 PM
The reply came from Adam at Klos:

Sorry for the late response. We actually have it in our pipeline to make a video for that. You have to reach in to grab the velcro bag, open the velcro cover, take out battery, replace it (normal 9V) and then velcro the bag shut again. The battery should last 100 hours of continuous use and is located just above the soundhole.

70sSanO
11-13-2018, 09:58 AM
I wanted to post this because there is probably a perception that the KLOS is not a good instrument. After everything I have posted about my KLOS ukulele, I will say that it is one of my favorites and gets a lot of playing time. It is really fun to play. I am really amazed at how well it responds to fingerstyle attack and volume. It seems hard to imagine that for around $500 I can get a ukulele that is nearly impervious to the elements and still sounds really good. I never worry about leaving it in the car.

It may not rival a high end solid wood ukulele, but the sound is clear, balanced, and has a nice ring and sustain. I have mine tuned to B.

John

cyber3d
11-14-2018, 04:59 PM
I made a cheapo cheapo productions video on changing the battery.

https://youtu.be/-nPVwBKoi-0

CYNICALifornia
11-21-2018, 05:25 AM
I was excited about the Klos ukulele because it represented four things I love: Ukuleles, carbon fiber, small business and American manufacturing.

Wife and I were on a road trip from Idaho to California and stopped by the factory in Provo. The team was very nice and laid back. Their attention to detail was admirable. I ended up walking out with a deluxe acoustic.

This is my first baritone. It has very quickly become my favorite ukulele to play. It's beautiful, sounds great, handles wonderfully and has good sound and tone.

My one complaint was the action. The first fret was especially difficult to bar. I took it to a local luthier (entirely different story, worthy of a separate thread) who worked the nut and bridge to lower the action... she plays like a dream now!

Now, if only I could get my skill up to the same level as the ukulele.

Jerryc41
11-21-2018, 06:02 AM
I have no regrets about buying my Klos, and I can't imagine ever selling it. I'm going to put a low G on it.

cyber3d
11-21-2018, 07:35 AM
I was excited about the Klos ukulele because it represented four things I love: Ukuleles, carbon fiber, small business and American manufacturing.

Wife and I were on a road trip from Idaho to California and stopped by the factory in Provo. The team was very nice and laid back. Their attention to detail was admirable. I ended up walking out with a deluxe acoustic.

This is my first baritone. It has very quickly become my favorite ukulele to play. It's beautiful, sounds great, handles wonderfully and has good sound and tone.

My one complaint was the action. The first fret was especially difficult to bar. I took it to a local luthier (entirely different story, worthy of a separate thread) who worked the nut and bridge to lower the action... she plays like a dream now!

Now, if only I could get my skill up to the same level as the ukulele.

Congratulations! Those four things also made me want to get one. I love my KLOS. Who did you go to for your setup? The guy I usually go to Downtown LA is impossible to connect with and the guy I went to a few days ago. . . the first thing he says is "oh, a plastic uke . . . I can't help you." So, I'm looking again.

casualmusic
11-21-2018, 10:56 AM
This is my first baritone.

Hi.

Is this a baritone or a tenor?

I'd like to get a Klos baritone.

Thanks

RedStickUkulele
01-10-2019, 05:48 PM
Is everyone still pretty satisfied? I think it would be cool if they came out with an 8 string. For some reason I am fascinated by 8 strings and an indestructible one sounds awesome

cyber3d
01-10-2019, 06:37 PM
Is everyone still pretty satisfied? I think it would be cool if they came out with an 8 string. For some reason I am fascinated by 8 strings and an indestructible one sounds awesome

You should go to their Indiegogo page and put your suggestion in the comments! Maybe they'll name it after you! One never knows. BTW, I still love my KLOS. I'm really impressed with the neck configuration the longer I play it. The shape and feel are super.

bazmaz
01-10-2019, 11:10 PM
I will be reviewing one on Got A Ukulele in about 3 weeks time. I think they are about to close the Indigogo and launch their own website to launch the uke proper (as it were).

My review model arrived a week or two ago - it looks promising!

RedStickUkulele
01-11-2019, 02:28 PM
I look forward to the review. Your site is awesome

70sSanO
01-12-2019, 03:10 AM
The early ones had issues. Bad neck angle that reduces string break, and volume, when action is lowered can’t be fixed. My understanding is the later ones are much better. Based on how things went, this is my last funding of a Kickstarter type project. Whatever slight savings gained will never be worth the risk.

John

RedStickUkulele
01-12-2019, 09:28 AM
Yea I never like to buy the newest stuff. Technology or whatever else. It is always glitchy and unrefined

cyber3d
01-12-2019, 10:43 AM
You can't say "never" in all cases. I was the 26th person in line for the Indiegogo campaign for the deluxe electric acoustic version and it is a great uke. The only caveat is the setup. I had to lower the 2nd fret and mirror polish all the frets. The intonation is spot on, the neck has no warpage, no frets had sharp ends, the strings were Fluorocarbon with the exception of the low G which was wound. I did change out the C string to balance the string set. The Fishman Kula gives me accurate readings for all the strings when tuning. The uke is relatively heavy. Especially compared to my solid mahogany Tiny Tenor. But, the fit and finish of the KLOS is outstanding. I play it more than any of the others. And it is incredible that I can shred on it as well as fingerpick classical. Not a rattle, not a mistune.

besley
01-12-2019, 11:20 AM
The early ones had issues. Bad neck angle that reduces string break, and volume, when action is lowered can’t be fixed. My understanding is the later ones are much better. Based on how things went, this is my last funding of a Kickstarter type project. Whatever slight savings gained will never be worth the risk.

John

Well I certainly agree that there were a few setup issues, but nothing that couldn't be fixed. And I wouldn't say it was a "bad" neck angle, as much as it was the wrong neck angle for the bridge thickness they were using if you wanted to get low action. After my setup work mine now plays as easily an an electric guitar all the way up the neck, with 2.3 mm string height at the 12th fret, zero neck relief, and with the strings about the same height above the top as on my Farallon. I haven't been humidifying it this Minnesota winter either, and there so far have not been any sharp fret ends sprouting.

As for negatives, I would have to say that it is not the loudest uke around. Louder than an Outdoor Ukulele, but not as loud as say a Farallon or an instrument with a solid wood top.

Choirguy
01-12-2019, 12:57 PM
Has anyone driven theirs over with a Prius yet? I have a Prius I'm willing to use for the experiment? Besley? :)

besley
01-12-2019, 02:25 PM
Has anyone driven theirs over with a Prius yet? I have a Prius I'm willing to use for the experiment? Besley? :)

Hmmmm.......that's certainly a tempting offer, but I'll pass for now. But a Prius test ought to be part of Barry's evaluation, wouldn't you think? Either that, or using it as a cricket bat.

70sSanO
01-12-2019, 06:02 PM
I will say that the people at KLOS are first rate. I had an isolated issue, (from what I understand the only one of its kind they have experienced), that required me to send my ukulele back to KLOS. They provided a shipping tag and fixed the problem and sent it back to me. I got it yesterday, with a new saddle so the action was around 3mm. It seemed pretty loud, but I have experienced a drop in volume in the past when I lowered to action to .090” at the 12th.

Rather than sand down the graphtech saddle they provided I modified a black water buffalo horn saddle that came out of another uke. Typically this is not the best saddle material, but it worked quite well and I ended up with a sweeter and less bright sound. The interesting thing was there was not a lot of volume drop-off. My wife commented on how loud it was. I do tune my KLOS to re-entrant B, so it starts out a little less bright and maybe a little louder than when tuned to C.

I can’t say if the fix or the different saddle material helped, but it is nice to have it back and being played.

John

besley
01-13-2019, 06:33 AM
.....I got it yesterday, with a new saddle so the action was around 3mm. It seemed pretty loud, but I have experienced a drop in volume in the past when I lowered to action to .090” at the 12th.

In the Spring issue of Ukulele magazine Mim commented on this very point, saying that "lowering the action too much can destroy the tone of your ukulele. I have heard a lively uke go dead when someone has insisted on extremely low action." Unfortunately she doesn't say what she considers to be "extremely low". My preferred target is also about 0.090" (~ 2.3 mm), which is where I set my Klos, so perhaps its modest volume is my fault? I can't remember if it was louder when I received it as the very first thing I did was change the strings and adjust the saddle. An action of 3 mm (0.120") is high for me, but certainly a reasonable level to send them out with.

When I first started working on ukes I went researching what people considered "normal" action, and found this comment on the Mya-Moe web site:

http://myamoeukuleles.com/actionPlayability.html

"In the absence of specific information about the musician, we adjust our ukuleles to a medium-low action (about 0.080" at the 12th fret). The #3 string has a slightly higher action allowing for its larger diameter."

I've never seen action as low as 0.080" (2 mm), which they apparently consider only "medium" low, which is part of how I settled on 2.3 mm action as a compromise. But at any rate, I'm sure all of my jamming friends would agree that having the volume on any uke of mine being subdued a bit is probably a good thing.

cyber3d
01-13-2019, 09:34 AM
So, what are the determining factors for the proper action height measurement? Is it strictly personal preference? or is it fret height? or what? The KLOS is one of the few ukes that I can barre anywhere and play as loud as possible without any rattles or unwanted vibrations.

I'll also post this on the general topics forum.

70sSanO
01-13-2019, 05:41 PM
Technically volume has nothing to do with the action other than string buzz on the frets if it gets too low. It has everything to do with the break angle over the saddle. There are other real life factors but a simplistic view is the higher the saddle the more downward pressure the strings exert through the saddle and the louder the ukulele sounds. There are build, string size, and playability factors that come into play. I’m sure optimum break angle info can be found online. This is also acoustic volume, there is probably little impact with electrics.

But in the real world, production instruments are built to perform best within a certain string height (break angle) range. This is why the neck angle was modified on later KLOS ukuleles. Somewhere along the line they thought 3mm was where it should be. Obviously they got it wrlong by around .5mm for most people. Keep in mind that saddle height has to be reduced by twice the amount you want at the 12th (midpoint of the scale).

I’ve actually run a uke at less than .080”. It had an 18” scale with higher tension, but it still lost some volume and depth. Just not enough downward string pressure to drive the soundboard.

So today I discovered that my KLOS is now a string through bridge instead on a slotted bridge; even though it still has the string slots (???). I have mixed feelings about it. In one way it is probably an improved method to attach the strings and may be the reason for the improved sound; I always thought a slotted tenor bridge was a poor approach. On the other hand because it wasn’t designed that way I can only hope the carbon fiber is strong enough with this modification; it probably is. But it is a good thing it is not one of my good ukes as it is slowly bordering on becoming a Frankenuke.

John

besley
01-14-2019, 06:50 AM
.....So today I discovered that my KLOS is now a string through bridge instead on a slotted bridge; even though it still has the string slots (???). I have mixed feelings about it. In one way it is probably an improved method to attach the strings and may be the reason for the improved sound; I always thought a slotted tenor bridge was a poor approach. On the other hand because it wasn’t designed that way I can only hope the carbon fiber is strong enough with this modification; it probably is. But it is a good thing it is not one of my good ukes as it is slowly bordering on becoming a Frankenuke.....John

So when your uke was back at the Klos shop, did they modify it by drilling holes through the bridge to attach the strings? If so I wonder if they added a bridge plate on the underside of the top? The carbon fiber is plenty strong, but the top is a sandwich of two sheets of carbon fiber separated by a foam layer, and I would wonder if that sandwich could withstand the point loading of a string knot or bead. Very strange.

Jerryc41
01-14-2019, 06:59 AM
Hmmmm.......that's certainly a tempting offer, but I'll pass for now. But a Prius test ought to be part of Barry's evaluation, wouldn't you think? Either that, or using it as a cricket bat.

We can chip in to buy a Prius for him. :o

70sSanO
01-14-2019, 02:33 PM
So when your uke was back at the Klos shop, did they modify it by drilling holes through the bridge to attach the strings? If so I wonder if they added a bridge plate on the underside of the top? The carbon fiber is plenty strong, but the top is a sandwich of two sheets of carbon fiber separated by a foam layer, and I would wonder if that sandwich could withstand the point loading of a string knot or bead. Very strange.

Bridge plate? You’re dreaming. Basically the bridge came off, I sent the uke back to them, and they were supposed to just re-attach it with epoxy. Even after prepping the area clean, I guess they decided to attach a new bridge and also drill through the soundboard, knot the strings, and call it a day. I was unaware of their repair approach. I only discovered it when I was replacing a string. I did pick up some beads.

These guys aren’t luthiers, but I’m hoping they at least know their stuff well enough that doing this type of mod will hold up over time.

John

70sSanO
01-17-2019, 04:58 PM
I have to say this is the best this ukulele has ever sounded. I don’t know if it is because the bridge is now more solidly attached, or if it is the through bridge string setup, but it is so much louder than it was before. Even my wife commented that it sounds so much better and louder. I think the buffalo horn saddle improved the tone, but being softer than graphtech, it should not be louder.

The ukulele came back strung with .022, .031, .026, .020. I changed the strings, and added beads, using .024, .031, .026, .022 and tuned to re-entrant B. The .031 is thicker than what I normally use and it really surprised me on how nice it plays and sounds.

John

One Man And His Uke
01-18-2019, 06:29 AM
I will be reviewing one on Got A Ukulele in about 3 weeks time. I think they are about to close the Indigogo and launch their own website to launch the uke proper (as it were).

My review model arrived a week or two ago - it looks promising!
Looking forward to this. They look brilliant I have to say. Hopefully someone in the UK or Europe will look at stocking them.

cyber3d
01-18-2019, 02:29 PM
I have to say this is the best this ukulele has ever sounded. I donít know if it is because the bridge is now more solidly attached, or if it is the through bridge string setup, but it is so much louder than it was before. Even my wife commented that it sounds so much better and louder. I think the buffalo horn saddle improved the tone, but being softer than graphtech, it should not be louder.

The ukulele came back strung with .022, .031, .026, .020. I changed the strings, and added beads, using .024, .031, .026, .022 and tuned to re-entrant B. The .031 is thicker than what I normally use and it really surprised me on how nice it plays and sounds.

John

Very interesting. I like the idea of going right through the soundboard.

70sSanO
01-18-2019, 09:40 PM
Very interesting. I like the idea of going right through the soundboard.

I do too, but the downside of just drilling holes is not having a bridge plate. A bridge plate distributed the string tension (pounds per sq in) over the surface area of the soundboard the same way the bridge does where it is attached. The string tension on a tenor ukulele is around 40lbs. I don’t know how that translates to the actual amount of string pull on the soundboard in pound per sq, using just beads.

If the KLOS soundboard is a sandwich with foam between inner and outer carbon fiber sheets, then the risk is not the carbon fiber failing, but the foam compressing. I have no idea what the impact might be. I am hoping the Prius experiment would also test the sandwich soundboard, to some extent, and not just the edges and ukulele sides. For now everything seems to be fine.

John

lifereinspired
02-03-2019, 07:10 PM
You can't say "never" in all cases. I was the 26th person in line for the Indiegogo campaign for the deluxe electric acoustic version and it is a great uke. The only caveat is the setup. I had to lower the 2nd fret and mirror polish all the frets. The intonation is spot on, the neck has no warpage, no frets had sharp ends, the strings were Fluorocarbon with the exception of the low G which was wound. I did change out the C string to balance the string set. The Fishman Kula gives me accurate readings for all the strings when tuning. The uke is relatively heavy. Especially compared to my solid mahogany Tiny Tenor. But, the fit and finish of the KLOS is outstanding. I play it more than any of the others. And it is incredible that I can shred on it as well as fingerpick classical. Not a rattle, not a mistune.

This is really interesting. I'm not sure when they changed the neck angle but I'm pretty sure the one I got had the lower action from user feedback - which is good because I still find the action high (for me) & harder to play. I was backed#81 overall including regular and acoustic/electric sales.

However, mine already buzzed with almost any playing. Got quite annoying and made me work my hands crazy hard to try to see if I wanting fretting "hard" enough but breaking my fingers this way really made no difference on the buzz sound. Also, I have a lot of trouble barring anywhere on this uke whereas I don't have any trouble on my other uke. That had me quite down. All in all, I really like it but it's not as easy to play as I anticipated or expected, which is sad. Of course now, I can't play it at all since my bridge also fell off like @70sSanO did. Gonna reach out to Klos tomorrow & see what they can do to help me get this sorted out. Really not cool to have a 4 month of old uke with just a couple of hours of play on it (between us, we've have 9 surgeries in the last year so less time to play then I'd hoped) break like that.

Ugh. :(

cyber3d
02-03-2019, 09:33 PM
This is really interesting. I'm not sure when they changed the neck angle but I'm pretty sure the one I got had the lower action from user feedback - which is good because I still find the action high (for me) & harder to play. I was backed#81 overall including regular and acoustic/electric sales.

However, mine already buzzed with almost any playing. Got quite annoying and made me work my hands crazy hard to try to see if I wanting fretting "hard" enough but breaking my fingers this way really made no difference on the buzz sound. Also, I have a lot of trouble barring anywhere on this uke whereas I don't have any trouble on my other uke. That had me quite down. All in all, I really like it but it's not as easy to play as I anticipated or expected, which is sad. Of course now, I can't play it at all since my bridge also fell off like @70sSanO did. Gonna reach out to Klos tomorrow & see what they can do to help me get this sorted out. Really not cool to have a 4 month of old uke with just a couple of hours of play on it (between us, we've have 9 surgeries in the last year so less time to play then I'd hoped) break like that.

You know, this is the third KLOS whose bridge has come off that I know of. You, 70sSanO, and a woman on a FaceBook group. Make some noise for sure with KLOS. Tell them straight up they should make it good. Words and reputations = sales and word spreads fast on social media. But, say it in a nice way, of course. Most of their ukes have not had problems. But, three with the same problem is alarming considering the relatively low numbers made so far.

cyber3d
02-03-2019, 09:34 PM

You know, this is the third KLOS whose bridge has come off that I know of. You, 70sSanO, and a woman on a FaceBook group. Make some noise for sure with KLOS. Tell them straight up they should make it good. Words and reputations = sales and word spreads fast on social media. But, say it in a nice way, of course. Most of their ukes have not had problems. But, three with the same problem is alarming considering the relatively low numbers made so far.

intro
02-20-2019, 02:32 PM
They look cool, but if you're going for a GO ANYWHERE uke, a wood fingerboard and bridge might be questionable. Personally, I went with a Carbon Outdoor Uke. No wood at all. Heck, I can paddle a boat with it. Sounds plenty good enough for the trail. Better than good enough, actually. A little like a resonator in timbre. $499 for a KLOS versus <$200...FOR THE TRAIL? One cannot overlook the steal factor. For the money I'll take 2 Outdoor Ukes in hi and lo. for less $. But WTH we want what we want.