Maxium total string tension for baritone (or other) ukuleles?

Strumaround

Reaction score
I'm experimenting with various classical guitar strings on my 19" baritone and I am no expert so am a bit confused and have a few questions.

A few people on here have suggested that using the middle four strings of classical guitar sets is the way to go. I'm just trying to ensure that I'm not going to put anything on there that is too high a tension for the uke. Somewhere else on this forum I found a post which suggested that a total tension of 46 lbs is a maximum, does that sound sensible?

I'm trying to gauge (pun intended) how to work this all out. For example, when looking at the lbs tension in string specs, does this change if applied to a ukulele (as opposed to a guitar, which they are aimed at)?

For example, I'm thinking about this set, as it has polished wound low strings. https://www.stringsbymail.com/savar...lished-basses-nt-classical-strings-17792.html

Elsewhere, people have suggested the Thomastik-Infeld wounds, which I use on my Tenor, but somehow feel a bit high tension on the baritone.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm not sure on specific tensions - generally I just go with what "feels" right.

I have always found that middle 4 strings of classical guitar set will do fine for baritone DGBE tuning, without being too much tension.
Classical guitar strings all have to fall within a range of tensions that would be safe for a classical guitar. I doubt there are sets that are so much tension it would cause any damage.

Likewise, the tension that a baritone can tolerate is a range. I find that Middle classical guitar strings fit that range beautifully.
If you feel like there's too much tension, perhaps you need to look at the action (string height) of your ukulele and do a setup.

I'm not sure on specific tensions - generally I just go with what "feels" right.

I have always found that middle 4 strings of classical guitar set will do fine for baritone DGBE tuning, without being too much tension.
Classical guitar strings all have to fall within a range of tensions that would be safe for a classical guitar. I doubt there are sets that are so much tension it would cause any damage.

Likewise, the tension that a baritone can tolerate is a range. I find that Middle classical guitar strings fit that range beautifully.

Thanks.

If you feel like there's too much tension, perhaps you need to look at the action (string height) of your ukulele and do a setup.

The action is actually set too low at the moment. In fact I need to adjust the truss rod a little to make up for the low humidity, as the neck is bending back slightly. I just find the Thomastik-Infelds, especially the CF35 as a D string, to be a bit on the high tension side on Baritones for barre chords. Compared to Martin or D'arrio wound baritone strings anyway. In fact the Martin's are almost too low tension.

I like the CF30 and CF27 for Tenors, though.

Last edited:
A length of 19" applies much less tension than a length of approx. 25" from a classical guitar. Think of the difference in tension from a soprano to tenor uke. So any normal or high tension classical strings are fine. I have used many different classical strings and experimented a lot. I do not use the middle four strings, I dont use sets either, I buy individual strings. Why buy for 6 when you only need 4.

Thanks.

Sure, I'm buying individual strings. I'm using the middle 4 of a set, or similar sets, because it allows for two wound and two treble strings, which I think is a nice balance.

I have used many different classical strings and experimented a lot. I do not use the middle four strings, I dont use sets either, I buy individual strings. Why buy for 6 when you only need 4.

In my case, it's for the readily availableness (just walk in store and buy a set, or just order a set online), and cost.
Often 6-string sets tends to be cheaper than paying for 4 individual strings separately (at least in Australia).

The Jumping Flea blog lists some tension information and attributes where he got the information:

http://www.ianchadwick.com/ukuleles/picks.htm

Soprano: 21 lb.
Concert: 33 lb.
Tenor: 39 lb.
Baritone: 53 lb.
6-string tenor: 65 lb.
8-string tenor: 83 lb.

Top Bottom