A string buzz

lefty dan

Reaction score
Hi I just put on new strings. Nothing wrong with the old ones just testing new strings. When I put the new strings on my A string buzzes. Only when I strike it open. When I fret say a b or any other fret it does not buzz. This must be an easy fix but I'm a new guy and need help.
The ukulele is a soprano if that helps.
Thanks
Dan

lefty dan;136671I Nothing wrong with the old ones just testing new strings. Dan[/QUOTE said:
Your test proves that your new strings buzz! The idea is to find strings that give you the sound you want and at the same time allows you comfortable playing action. If low action without buzzing is your priority then the first set of strings is better for that particular uke.
Now if you insist on using those strings you'll need to raise the action at the nut by filling the A string slot and refiling it to the correct depth for that string. Or you can just put the old strings back on.

Last edited:
Hi I just put on new strings. Nothing wrong with the old ones just testing new strings. When I put the new strings on my A string buzzes. Only when I strike it open. When I fret say a b or any other fret it does not buzz. This must be an easy fix but I'm a new guy and need help.
The ukulele is a soprano if that helps.
Thanks
Dan

Hey what sort of uke is it? I put a new set of strings on my Lanikai and had the same problem with the A string. On my uke the reason was the nut was better set up for the old strings (similar to what Chuck was talking about). I was able to fix it by threading the string through the tuning peg the other way round (so it tightened when it would normally have loosened) this stopped the buzzing.

It might work for you too?

buzz

I love this forum so many people willing to help.

OK my ukulele is a stew mac soprano that I built. I put the stew mac strings on it and it plays fine.
I got a good deal on a Martin soprano (new). so I bought it. The martin sounded almost as good as the stew mac. I dont need two sopranos so I sold the Martin. ( Didn't think anyone wants a stew mac build by newbie ).
Because I have read good things about the Aquilas, I bought some. I figured the stew mac strings were OK at best. If I put the Aquilas on, it would sound even better that it does.

So the Aquilas are on but the A string buzz.
When I get home I will mess with it more.

Dan

I got the same problem with the string buzz but I haven't changed the strings. The thing is, is that when I pluck the E string up I start to hear a buzzing sound (and that's when I play the E string open). This just happened today, is there anyway to fix that?

I've put the tiniest little piece of paper in between the nut and string and SOMETIMES it actually works. If there is any parts visible or hanging out, simply cut off the excess with an exacto knife. May not be the most professional thing to do but hey, works for me!

If you put on a differnet brand of strings (it's not made clear) the new one, expecially the A may be of a slightly lighter gauge. Therefore it sits a little lower in the nut and buzzes on the 1st fret.

Guitarists have tried all sorts of things to lift the nut slot short of a new nut. It's finer work with a uke nut. What's worked for me is to put a little super glue in the nut slot (a tiny bit put on with a toothpick). Wait till it completely dries before re-tightening (you just loosen the string and lift it over to the side). You should be able to visibly see if the string is vibrating and hitting the first fret.

Paper, matchsticks and the like work but mute the tone a bit. It's unusual to have a nut cut so fine from the factory. That's one of the reasons most Chinese ukes comes with such high nuts. Quick set up, NO BUZZ (but harder playing especially on that first fret.)

Buzz

I put the original strings that Stew mac provided me. They didn't buzz before but do now. So after playing around with the strings I wound the A string in the other direction and that stopped the buzzing. I dont care that its wound wrong It plays and sounds nice. I might get a new nut and play with the height some.
Dan

i got new strings for my lanikai (i think they were martins) anyway they sound terrible... does anyone know the best brand to use?

I thought this thread was going to be about that euphoric feeling you get from playing the uke. ;)

Last edited:
I put the original strings that Stew mac provided me. They didn't buzz before but do now. So after playing around with the strings I wound the A string in the other direction and that stopped the buzzing. I dont care that its wound wrong It plays and sounds nice. I might get a new nut and play with the height some.
Dan

Hey glad my tip helped! I freaked out when I restrung my Lanikai, luckily that helped me too.

Sometimes when an open string buzzes it's becasue the angle of the nut slot is sloped down not up. Look real close at the sting under a magnifying glass and press down on the string. It should only bend after the nut slot on the edge not in the slot. If you see it bend down in the slot, the angle of the botom of the slot is lower in the front than in the back.

Your other strings might have been thicker and wedged in the slot so it rode on the sides of the slot. If this is the case and the string is not too low you can gently file the back of the slot down so you have a slight slot angle that goes up so the string exits the bottom on the front edge of the nut.

You also need to make sure you didn't cock the nut forward when you put on new strings.

If the slot is too low to file, a quick fix is to use some baking soda and super glue to build up the slot and refile it to the correct angle. The baking powder will wick in the super glue. It turn extemely hard. Be careful, you can really screw things up if you over do it. The super glue will wick in every crack and if you have baking soda spread around sloppy it will wick everywhere. Experiment on a slotted piece of wood and use the Super glue sparingly.

I like the GHS black Hawaiian strings which ususally come original on the Lanakai. D'Addario blacks are good too. Yeah, Martins are terrible for uke.

...understand that every set of strings are diferent??
Yes - they can vary in materials, which means they can vary in diameter (thickness), which also affects the tension. Sone ukuleles have nuts with slots designed for particular strings. These may be either too wide or too narrow for another set. It's an easy fix: a few seconds with either a hobby file or a tube of instant glue.

I built a uke from the StewMac kit as well, I had to re-file the nut to work with Worth CM strings. I had a buzz on the A string as well. I just removed the string, put a drop of superglue in the slot, let it dry, and gave the slot a slight file mark, no more buzzzz.:)

Depends on the Martins. I like their fluorocarbon, didn't like their "crystal nylon."

Aquilas are excellent, as are Worths. I'm going to try Bushman's new strings soon too.

Top Bottom