PDA

View Full Version : Default Solid metal body resonators

kerneltime
08-01-2018, 06:56 AM
Had incorrectly posted this to marketplace, moving it here: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?134336-Solid-metal-body-resonators
====

I want to try a solid metal body resonator. I see that sound Smith and some Chinese brands (sound Smith is made in China from what I can tell) sell all metal body ukuleles.

I recently tried a few wood resonators and they did not sound as bell like at the 12th fret as I was expecting and the resonance kind of dulled off. These were $2k+ Resonators.

Any opinions/experiences on all metal body resonators?

Kenn2018
08-01-2018, 11:40 AM
Sound Smith laminate resonators are made in China. So I would imagine their metal ones are too.

The laminate is a nice entry-level resonator. Great people to deal with.

nuggulux
08-02-2018, 08:02 AM
Most of the metal-bodied resonator ukes you'll find on the market share an identical design, but with a few detail differences to individualize them for each uke brand. Nearly all of them have that dish-shaped back, which is kind of a giveaway. But, the details --- like tuners, the cone, and the setup --- really make a difference at this price.

Ukulele magazine did a roundup of them a while back and there is video so you can hear the differences.

ProfChris
08-02-2018, 08:14 AM
All the cheap metal bodied resos I've played sound ... really cheap. A cone upgrade (Republic or, for more money but better sound, Beard or National) is a big improvement, but they need a fair bit of adjusting to make them play and sound nice with no rattles.

I think if you want a bell like tone then you need a National, or a Beltona, or the lovely reso Del Ray plays whose maker I've forgotten.

ukulelekarcsi
08-02-2018, 08:36 AM
Del Rey plays two ukuleles and a parlour guitar by Ron Philips (metalgitar.org), Casey MacGill plays a John Morton (jmorton.us). I'd like to add Fine Resophonics (Mike Lewis) also to that list of better all-metal resonator luthiers.

kerneltime
08-02-2018, 09:44 AM
Thanks to ukulele Eddie I have a national resonator uke on its way!
Will post an update..

Jerryc41
08-04-2018, 12:28 AM
I like my Gold Tone ResoUke. I got it as a "Second" from Butler Music. After several months, I still haven't found the so-called scratch.