Musician??

Rllink

Reaction score
Someone called me a musician last night. I don't feel like a musician, I feel like a ukulele player.

Why do you think that a ukulele player isn't a musician?

You were doing something well w/ music to get that compliment!

You definitely must have been doing something right! 😎 Was this in Iowa or Puerto Rico?

I played guitar for almost 50 years and never learned music, then 5 years ago the same with ukulele, and in the last year bass uke, which has given a certain amount of music understanding, but it's still hard for me to call myself a musician because I don't read music. I actually have a lot to compare to, in the early 70s I was the production assistant then road manager for the Johnny Mann Singers, the accompanying band was made of members of the Wrecking Crew, also one of my best friends the last 30 years is a very accomplished guitar player, and my nephew (my twin brother's son) is also a very accomplished guitar player and now an up and coming music score composer. My consolation is I love playing and participating in my uke group.

Last edited:
I would tend to feel the same way. I think it's because of my tendency to think of "musician" as an indication of profession, or occupation.

Having said that, there is definitely the broader interpretation that musicians are those who make music, or play musical instruments. This is probably the more common usage of the term. But, I understand your knee-jerk reaction--"musician...where?"

You definitely must have been doing something right! �� Was this in Iowa or Puerto Rico?
Iowa, and I think that the person was using it as a lead in to tell me that they too were a musician. When it was all said and done they talked more about their musicianship than mine. But it got me thinking about it, and when I rolled it around in my head I didn't think that the label fit me. I felt that it put a lot of pressure on me. Obviously it didn't bother the person who talked to me because they made it clear that they wanted to be identified as a musician and we therefore had some sort of kindred spirit. But I guess that because I wanted to distance myself from the label I did not feel the connection. It was just interesting and I thought that we might talk about it. I haven't bought a new ukulele recently, so I thought that it might be something different to talk about.

Obviously, someone mistook the ukulele for a musical instrument. :D
Well, a ukulele is a musical instrument and I do not in any way want to diminish it as such, but is everyone who plays a musical instrument a musician? I feel more comfortable identifying myself as a guy who plays the ukulele. Musician goes way beyond what I'm doing. That is just my take on it. Others my differ. That is why I brought it up though, so we can mull it over.

Don't worry too much Rllink, I've been called far worse! :D
That is so true. A few years ago I said something to a fellow that he took personally and it infuriated him so that called me bald. That was the best he could do. I feigned a level of offense to it that I hoped would assuage his anger. I suppose being called bald is worse than being called a musician.

Last edited:
In my head, I’d be hesitant to call myself a musician.
In my heart, heck yeah! I feel like one.

Thanks. Now you've totally messed up my head.

I was a professional drummer for many years and completely walked away from music for about a decade before buying my first uke. During those ten years, people would introduce me as a "musician" and I would talk it down, like "no, I'm not a musician anymore, blah blah blah." But then when I got my uke, I was really happy to be able to identify as a musician again. Just to walk into a music store for the first time in ten years was a huge thrill.

But now you're telling me I'm NOT really a musician? Damn! You mean I'm just a total phony? ;)

I definately dont feel like a musician.
I also think that it sounds like a profession. Or at least someone who actually plays gigs, and not just in their own basement. Or used to play gigs and still have some of that skill. But definitions are perhaps different from person to person.

Someone called me a musician last night. I don't feel like a musician, I feel like a ukulele player.

The same thing happened to me last week and I had the same reaction!

I tend to reserve use of that term and use it more selectively. I feel as if there are people who play instruments, but yet not all of them are musicians. It is a term that I save for people who have a deeper awareness and understanding, a high skill level and display a high level of musicianship. I recall some old timers referring to someone as "a real musician" to separate them from the regular everyday player.

I am not trying to be a snob about it. In the same way that there are many people I know or who are acquaintances of mine, yet not that many whom I call "friends". I tend to reserve that term for those people that are closest to me. It is ok if others feel differently about it. I know some who use the term for just about anyone they know.

Given all that, if people enjoy calling themselves musicians and like making music, that is truly what is important. The more music and joy in the world, the better. If it makes you feel good to call yourself a musician, go right ahead.

Interesting topic. My teacher told me on a few occasions that I needed to think of myself as a musician. At my last lesson he told me again that I was one and that I didn't really need his help anymore (he was quitting anyway but if he had felt I needed more help he would have worked on finding me a new teacher). I don't know, I think I'm with the rest of you in thinking that my level of talent and knowledge doesn't add up to musician, more instrumentalist. But then again, maybe we all just have a complex that keeps us from seeing ourselves for what we really are ;)

John

I brought up this topic here a bunch of years ago. At the time I was uncomfortable with "musician" and equally uncomfortable being pigeon-holed as a "ukulele player." Fast forward 6 years and I'm happy to say that I'm a lot more comfortable with the label "musician" than I ever thought I would be.

Rolli, I know your story and personal ukulele "playing" journey so I understand where you are coming from. Most of us that stumbled onto the ukulele as our first musical instrument and are basically self taught don't feel "professional". I associate musician with someone who knows music theory, all the scales and modes, can sit down and jam with anybody in any key.

There are great musicians that play the ukulele, it is a legimate instrument. Most of us feel like someone that plays the ukulele, and that my friend is more than ok:music:

Last edited:
That's the ukulele way, to play music without having to be a musician.

Top Bottom