NUD: Gold Tone Little Gem

Jerryc41

Reaction score
When I bought the Martin from mineymole last week, I learned about the Gold Tone Little Gem. Mim had one in blue, and it arrived yesterday. At 2.5 pounds, it's not a lightweight, but a strap took care of that.

I think it's a bargain at $149. It's beautiful and loud. I love the smooth maple neck. It comes with a clever plastic template to position the bridge accurately. Why can't all banjo ukes come with one of them? There is also a small assortment of tools. The strings are still stretching, but it plays very nicely.

If I can talk two other members of our group to buy a red and a clear, we'll have red, white, and blue for Fourth of July events. : )

I haven't taken pictures of it yet, but I posted a couple from Uke Republic.

GoldToneLittleGemCollage.jpg
Blue.jpg

Got mine last night too! Also blue, but that purple was screaming at me as well.
Love the sound, really loud and punchy like a banjo. but it is a bit heavy. Personally, I think it weighs more than 2.63 lbs. My motorcycle helmet weighs 3 and this seems heavier.

Got mine last night too! Also blue, but that purple was screaming at me as well.
Love the sound, really loud and punchy like a banjo. but it is a bit heavy. Personally, I think it weighs more than 2.63 lbs. My motorcycle helmet weighs 3 and this seems heavier.

You'd think plastic would be lighter. I guess it has to be heavy to survive the vibrations of that strong sound. :)

There's wood and metal, in addition to the plastic, but the Duke 10 is also wood and metal, and that's very light. When I get around to taking pictures, I show you how I attach the strap.

I got mine on Tuesday. Mine is the clear one. I'm still on the fence about whether I'm a banjo uke person or not. This may end up being a "catch & release."

Congrats, what a pretty banjouke. I was just thinking about getting a blue head for my Duke then I saw yours. Now I know I want to!

If I can talk two other members of our group to buy a red and a clear, we'll have red, white, and blue for Fourth of July events. : )
Brilliant!

I'm still on the fence about whether I'm a banjo uke person or not. This may end up being a "catch & release."
Me too and I had a BUT for a good while. I might have to find somebody releasing one to catch it.

Anybody have thoughts on whether a low G would work on this?

Anybody have thoughts on whether a low G would work on this?

I think a low G would defeat the purpose of the "banjo" part of the instrument. I played it yesterday in our group, and it sounds very nice - definitely like a banjo - and it is loud. I had to remember not to overpower the other fifteen people. :)

Of course, it is more appropriate for some songs than for others. It was perfect for "I'll Fly Away," but not so much for "Hallelujah," so I switched back and forth between the banjo and my soprano.

Top Bottom