Routing finish away for bridge gluing

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
When I first heard Chuck talk about this method, I thought he was crazy...then i tried it :)

Easiest, and I think the best way to remove the finish from the bridge footprint and the fretboard extension.To make it easier to see the edge, I lay my tape out so the the edge is just a hair inside the score line. That way I can easily see the edge when the router bit just curls the edge of the tape. I've done lots of these and not needed to chisel the whole perimeter. Just maybe the corners. It's really a no brainer method. I use a Dremel with an 1/8" carbide spiral bit, but I've seen it done with laminate trimmers and 1/4" bits too. Just have to trust your tool skills.

Ever since I saw/heard about Chuck's router method I sucked it up and tried it out. Works great but I get the brass "marbles" thing. I tried it out on something else first.

Ever since I saw/heard about Chuck's router method I sucked it up and tried it out. Works great but I get the brass "marbles" thing. I tried it out on something else first.

A few years ago, I did this job one handed while filming it with the other hand!- not the best idea but I have a tripod now :)

I just use a Stanly knife blade point.. it dont take very long co's FP scrapes off easier than laquer and the soprano footprint is small...but i have to wear the Optivisor so I don't cock up.:eek:ld:

I admit to taking off the finish with a 2mm wide chisel but kick myself for not positioning the bridge first and masking the footprint with tape prior to finish.

Top Bottom