PDA

View Full Version : NUD: Sailor Brand Tenor Uke

mineymole
08-09-2018, 03:13 PM
Got this wonderful Sailor Brand tenor uke from Uke Republic. Mike was fantastic to deal with!

Sounds wonderful. Solid Spruce top, solid poplar body with a Kawazinga veneer. I put Aquila Lavas on it with a high G and wound C.

Take a look:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/unKq38pBpH6Sh1Hp6

Jim Hanks
08-09-2018, 03:52 PM
Nice! I like their use of veneers. Makes the fancy woods go farther and there's nothing wrong with the acoustics of poplar. Looking forward to a playing sample.

Spicysteve
08-09-2018, 04:37 PM
Quite the nice looking Ukulele. Congratulations mineymole. The Kawazinga is beautiful.
I agree with Jim, they make great use of veneers.
Enjoy,
Steve.

Bill Sheehan
08-10-2018, 04:52 AM
Beautiful tenor !! Congrats and enjoy it !!

SoloRule
08-10-2018, 06:56 AM
I like the back. The wood grains is very different
Congratulations

Swamp Yankee
08-10-2018, 07:19 AM
Congratulations! It's gorgeous :drool:

mineymole
08-10-2018, 07:51 AM
Nice! I like their use of veneers. Makes the fancy woods go farther and there's nothing wrong with the acoustics of poplar. Looking forward to a playing sample.

How do you record a sample?

Jerryc41
08-10-2018, 08:48 AM
Wow! That is beautiful! Enjoy it!

Jim Hanks
08-10-2018, 03:50 PM

I typically use a microphone . :p

Jerryc41
08-11-2018, 12:25 AM

Thanks! I was about to buy a recorder. :D

https://www.amazon.com/KINGSO-Soprano-Recorder-Cleaning-Instrument/dp/B00RGNR75K/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1533983108&sr=1-3&keywords=recorder

mineymole
08-11-2018, 03:34 AM

Are you using your computer then to record? What program?

Jerryc41
08-11-2018, 06:07 AM

One reason I don't post sound samples is that I don't want to display my mediocre playing for all the world to hear. Another reason is the low quality audio I would probably get from my equipment. I doubt that anyone would get a true impression of the sound of the uke from my sound clips.

It's like a review of a camera that shows sample pictures. They always look good, regardless of the camera being reviewed.

Nickie
08-11-2018, 03:47 PM
Wow, that's a beautiful Sailor. congrats, I know it sounds good, because I know who built it!

Jim Hanks
08-11-2018, 05:15 PM
Are you using your computer then to record? What program?

I've used several over the years. On Windows, I mostly use Propellerhead Reason these days but have used Cockos Reaper and probably Audacity way back.

On iPhone/iPad, there have also been a few apps, mostly Cubasis lately but also Multitrack DAW and even AudioShare on occasion.

Jerryc41
08-12-2018, 03:12 AM
I've used several over the years. On Windows, I mostly use Propellerhead Reason these days but have used Cockos Reaper and probably Audacity way back.

On iPhone/iPad, there have also been a few apps, mostly Cubasis lately but also Multitrack DAW and even AudioShare on occasion.

Vic Schmeltz uses an iRig Mic Studio microphone and iPhone 6 for his reviews, and that looks like a good combination. The link below might be the one he uses, not something the casual user would need.

https://www.amazon.com/IK-Multimedia-digital-microphone-Android/dp/B00TY2X18S

Jim Hanks
08-12-2018, 04:06 AM
Oh yeah, forgot about that. I'm also using the iRig Acoustic on occasion:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iRigAcoustic--ik-multimedia-irig-acoustic
There is a more expensive/robust "stage" version but I can get pretty decent results with this one and not too much cleanup needed afterward.

Jerryc41
08-12-2018, 05:10 AM
Oh yeah, forgot about that. I'm also using the iRig Acoustic on occasion:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iRigAcoustic--ik-multimedia-irig-acoustic
There is a more expensive/robust "stage" version but I can get pretty decent results with this one and not too much cleanup needed afterward.

That is amazing! If I ever get to the point where I want to record myself, I'll consider one of them.

M3Ukulele
08-12-2018, 08:55 AM
Just curious, I have impression that somehow, sailor is an offshoot of Loprenzi ukes. Is that true?

Also, so back and sides are always solid poplar wood, but with a thin veneer of fancy solid wood. Is that correct? That seems smart to me and the results look great

I seem to also have impression Jupiter Uke also in Florida do similar thing. Jim, don’t you have a custom Jupiter in the works?

Or am I all wet LOL on these impressions

Anyways congrats on a great looking ukulele. I’d love to hear a sound sample!

Jim Hanks
08-12-2018, 09:52 AM
Sailor is a offshoot of Loprenzi. I believe Donna Loprinzi is the lead luthier for Sailor. AFAIK, that isn't officially company "policy" however.

I don't know about "always" but poplar/veneer is very common on the "regular" line of Sailor right now. I know they have a "premium" line as well.

To my knowledge, Jupiter is not doing doing the veneer thing, but you'd have to ask Jon. My custom guilele is solid sycamore.

mineymole
08-12-2018, 10:15 AM
Just curious, I have impression that somehow, sailor is an offshoot of Loprenzi ukes. Is that true?

Also, so back and sides are always solid poplar wood, but with a thin veneer of fancy solid wood. Is that correct? That seems smart to me and the results look great

I seem to also have impression Jupiter Uke also in Florida do similar thing. Jim, don’t you have a custom Jupiter in the works?

Or am I all wet LOL on these impressions

Anyways congrats on a great looking ukulele. I’d love to hear a sound sample!

I have read that Loprenzi does make the Sailor Brand but only for Uke Republic. The body is solid poplar with a veneer of a fancy wood. The work on it is very good especially given its price point. It sound great!