PDA

View Full Version : What ukes have you acquired this year? & What ukes did you let go?

Doc_J
08-11-2018, 06:07 AM
2018 has been an eventful year in my uke experiences. Some amazing ones left, and some amazing ones arrived. Each change seemed like a reasonable idea at the time. Keeping the collection at a stable level is important. Got my very first Hive and Little River ukes this year (both truly outstanding ukes). The other arriving ukes were from wonderful builders I have experienced before. While the ukes that left are missed, there are no regrets.

Here's what I have let go this year (so far):

vanPelt sinker sinker redwood/koa tenor
Mike Pereira spruce/rosewood baritone
William King long scale koa tenor
I'iwii curly mango tenor
LFdM cedar/rosewood tenor
Larrivee Silver Oak/ spruce baritone
Pohaku curly koa baritone
Kinnard mahogany baritone

Here's what arrived (to date):

Pegasus curly mango tenor
Mya-Moe bearclaw/EIR baritone
Hive Katalox/red spruce tenor
Graziano spruce/koa double puka baritone
Howlett Koa baby baritone
Little River "The Tree" Mahogany tenor

Croaky Keith
08-11-2018, 07:21 AM
I've been a good boy, no more new ukes, (can't remember if it was this year, but I did let 6 go to a new (care) home project locally). :)

Mind you, I have bought some other instruments, do they count? ;)

El Viejo
08-11-2018, 07:43 AM
It's been a bad UAS year so far in 2018, though I can justify my purchases by saying that I'm getting instruments that all have unique voicing and that work great for different styles of music.

So far, I've bought a Blackbird Clara, a Koaloha pikake koa concert, and a Kanile'a koa GL6. I have a LoPrinzi koa baritone in the works that will be done sometime soon, and that should close out the year for me.

I don't have any plans to thin the herd, but I'm now officially into one-in one-out territory. I've got all my bases covered in terms of travel instruments, a "beater" instrument I'm not afraid to throw around, and instruments in all sizes. With 8 total, I can play every instrument over the course of a week, but if I buy any more, some are going to get neglected. To those who are collectors, hey, no problem, if that's what you enjoy, that's awesome! I'm not really one for holding on to one though if I'm not picking it up at least once every week or ttwo to jam, that's just my personal feeling.

captain-janeway
08-11-2018, 07:57 AM
Bought a Duke10 tenor, Little Gem concert, and cheap Kala soprano ($20 on CL) just to check hand sizing. May let the Duke go as I'm finding tenors are too big for me.

Someone told me try and turn the tenor to a concert with a capo and a re-tune, but we'll see. the Little Gem just arrived, and man that puppy is LOUD! Love the color and the neck feels really good in the hand. Definitely not something I'd play as an everyday, but want to learn fingerpicking, so may want it for that.

Haven't gotten rid of my first Kala tenor yet, but that may be going along with the Duke. If I get those sold and learn to play a little better, may go for cedar top and spruce top concerts. My main playing uke is a Mainland mahogany.

slackkey007
08-11-2018, 08:41 AM
Aloha bruddah Hodge!

2018 has been an eventful uke year for me as well!

Here's what I have let go this year (so far):

- Breedlove KB Signature Myrtle/Bearclaw Sitka Spruce tenor with slotted headstock and radiused fretboard
- Pono Limited Edition Master Series Acacia/Torrefied Spruce tenor with beveled edge/armrest, side sound port, slotted headstock, and radiused fretboard
- Pono PC 5 Rosewood/Spruce tenor w/side sound port, slotted headstock, and radiused fretboard (RTSH5-PC-S-SPO)
- Pono PC Macassar Ebony/Cedar tenor w/cutaway, slotted headstock, and radiused fretboard
- Rebel Quark Rosewood/Spruce tenor

Here's what arrived (to date):

- Romero Creations "Replica" Mahogany/Spruce tenor
- Kanile'a Aldrine Guerrero Signature tenor with slotted headstock and Gilbert tuners
- Hive Ziricote/Adirondack Spruce tenor
- aNueNue Moon Bird UT200E Rosewood/Swiss Moon Spruce tenor w/aNueNue Air Air Dual pickup system
- Kala USA Custom Shop Myrtle/Spruce tenor
- Josh Rieck Flamed Myrtle/Torrefied Spruce tenor with cutaway, beveled edge/armrest, and radiused fretboard

I wil be moving back to the mainland in the next few months. I have too many ukes in my collection to bring to the mainland with me, so unfortunately, I have to re-home a bunch. I will be trying to decide which ones to re-home, but it will be very difficult to do so because I love all of my current ukes! If anyone might be interested, PM me and I can fill you in on what I have and can send pics as well. Mahalo nui loa!

:shaka:

RafterGirl
08-11-2018, 09:01 AM
Bought in 2018 & then let go ......Imua Soprano that was beautiful & sounded great. I loved that little uke and deciding to part with it was difficult, but it needed to live with someone who jives better with soprano. I just received a Gold Tone Little Gem banjo uke and sent it back to Uke Republic today. This was a 100% impulse buy to try out a banjo uke. Not my thing.

Tootler
08-11-2018, 09:49 AM
Within the last year I got a Baton Rouge 8 string tenor. I quickly restrung it with only the G string in octaves. I've recently tuned it down to DGBE with just the D string in octaves. I need to restring it and am trying to decide what best to use.

Someone gave me a bright yellow Mahalo soprano. It had the original yukky nylon strings and sounded pretty awful. I replaced them with Living Water soprano strings and was surprised by the change as it sounded much better than I expected. A cheap and cheerful uke which I will be keeping for occasional use.

DownUpDave
08-11-2018, 11:08 AM
Impressive list as always Hodge. I often wonder how you could sell some of those gems.......then I see what you acquire and it certainly evens out.

The year of 2018 has been my slowest year ever. If you said last 12 months there would be much more activity listed. I am in a real happy place with everyone of the ukes I own, all keepers

Acquired

Kimo super concert, sinker redwood and walnut
Fred Shields super soprano pineapple all walnut
LfdM long neck tenor build in progress, sinker cedar and curly myrtle.......should be done sometime in September

Sold

Blackbird Farallon to Brenda, she is happy happy.

I took up guitar 4 months ago. I am glad you didn't ask about guitar purchases :biglaugh:

Nickie
08-11-2018, 12:28 PM
Wow, you guys have been busy!
None for me. A premature, not-so-well planned retirement has put the kibosh on buying stuff.
Back to work for me, on Monday....which may put another uke within reach, after taking care of some fiduciary responsibilities.

jelow1966
08-11-2018, 01:48 PM
I've bought a Teton tenor and an Islander Guitalele, both from the marketplace here. Each one fills a need, the Teton is my silent practce uke and the Islander gives me a chance to explore chord voicings beyond 4 notes as well hopefully progress in jazz by playing guitar tabs. Nothing parted with yet, but I am debating parting with my Cordoba 32T as well as my Graziano concert.

John

hollisdwyer
08-11-2018, 02:31 PM
A quite year with only my Beau Hannam Australian Blackwood Tenor, that I commissioned in 2015, arriving. It was worth the wait.

111211 111212 111213

Didn’t sell anything this year.

I must admit that I do feel the stirring of the UAS as I just got an “all clear” two days ago from the serious health issue that I was dealing with for the past 13 months.

Joyful Uke
08-11-2018, 02:44 PM
A quite year with only my Beau Hannam Australian Blackwood Tenor, that I commissioned in 2015, arriving. It was worth the wait.

111211 111212 111213

Didn’t sell anything this year.

I must admit that I do feel the stirring of the UAS as I just got an “all clear” two days ago from the serious health issue that I was dealing with for the past 13 months.

Even better than a new ukulele is good news regarding your health. But a new ukulele would be a good way to celebrate the good news. -:). Enjoy both your good news as well as your Beau Hannam.

kohanmike
08-11-2018, 03:26 PM
I can't post these in one fell swoop so I'll do them separately.

In January I bought online a Savanah Lightning Travel Bass Guitar for $225 from Zorro Sounds that I had modified and painted for $650.

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Savanah green both.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos)

Nickie
08-11-2018, 03:33 PM
Wow, hollis, that BH uke is drop dead gorgeous!
I'd say with that uke and your excellent health report, you have plenty to celebrate!
More pics, more pics!:drool:

Nickie
08-11-2018, 03:35 PM
Mike, isn't modding ukes fun? I'm trying to decide what to do to my Duke banjouke next to make it more fun. Maybe a colored vellum head....

sukie
08-11-2018, 03:36 PM
I saw some fishuleles in Camden, Maine this week. I did not buy one. But I did buy an Outdoor Ukulele a couple weeks ago. I believe Iím done shopping for ukuleles. I have all I need.

kohanmike
08-11-2018, 03:37 PM
Also in January I bought a Lanikai Bocote Thinline uke for $359 from Zorro Sounds online.

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Lanikai Thinline Bocote 800.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos)

kohanmike
08-11-2018, 03:41 PM
In April I bought a Bruce Wei Hawaiian Island Paddle uke on eBay for $284 to replace the Bruce Wei custom Hawaiian Island Brown Burst uke he made me last year ($345), which I raffled to my uke group. The proceeds ($640) going to The Ukulele Kids Club for ukes we give out to kids in UCLA/Mattel Children's Hospital.

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Hawaiian Islands paddle & brown.jpg

kohanmike
08-11-2018, 03:44 PM
This month I bought a Lanikai Thinline Solid Spruce top for $149 specifically to raffle to my uke group for more donations to go to The Ukulele Kids Club and the kids at UCLA/Mattel.

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Lanikai Thinline raffle uke 800.jpg

hollisdwyer
08-11-2018, 04:18 PM
Wow, hollis, that BH uke is drop dead gorgeous!
I'd say with that uke and your excellent health report, you have plenty to celebrate!
More pics, more pics!:drool:

Yes Nickie, acquiring a fine new instrument would pick my spirits up even further. My elevated confidence has led me to join a small orchestra. Now all I have to do is remember how to read music notation. It’s been over 55 years since I’ve had to do that.

UkerDanno
08-11-2018, 05:12 PM
Oh geez, that's a complicated question!!! :biglaugh:

captain-janeway
08-11-2018, 05:33 PM

111211 111212 111213

Didnít sell anything this year.

I must admit that I do feel the stirring of the UAS as I just got an ďall clearĒ two days ago from the serious health issue that I was dealing with for the past 13 months.

When I win the lotto will go straight to get a uke like this. Looked at his site. Mind. Blown. They're gorgeous! I know people can play well on all types of instruments, but this is a work of art.
Congrats on your better health and your next purchase. And yes, post a few more pictures.

Ukulele Eddie
08-11-2018, 06:42 PM
Hodge, did my wife put you up to this? Is this a trap? ;-)

I agree with what you wrote regarding letting some fantastic ukes go, but there are more I want to experience and since I cannot keep them all, it is unavoidable. Like @DownUpDave, I have recently started toying with guitar as well. I've bought & sold two and currently have three.

Here are the in's and out's for ukes in 2018:

ADDED in 2018:
-- Joji Yoshida Lucky Strike redwood/BRW tenor
-- Ono Wahoo Series torrefied spruce/quilted sapele tenor
-- Takumi 3K all koa concert
-- KoAloha all mahogany longneck soprano

ALREADY RE-HOMED in 2018:
-- Moore Bettah adi spruce/macassary ebony tenor
-- Collings European spruce/maple tenor
-- National resonator concert
-- Blackbird Clara concert
-- I'iwi mango with ebony tenor
-- Takumi Honduran mahogany concert
-- Shima longneck Soprano (my daughter has take over this one, so it's as good as re-homed ;-)

MAY BE RE-HOMED in 2018:
I have a handful of ukes that I likely will be posting for sale soon. I'm not sure I'll sell them all, but will let the market help me decide:
-- the KoAloha all 'hog longneck soprano
-- Takumi 3K all koa concert
-- J. Rieck torrefied spruce/quilted sapele 16" concert
-- highly customized Blackbird Farallon tenor
-- Ono Wahoo Series torrefied spruce/quilted sapele tenor

Ukulele Eddie
08-11-2018, 06:44 PM
I must admit that I do feel the stirring of the UAS as I just got an ďall clearĒ two days ago from the serious health issue that I was dealing with for the past 13 months.

Wonderful to hear, Hollis! This is THE best news in this thread!

hollisdwyer
08-11-2018, 07:31 PM
Even better than a new ukulele is good news regarding your health. But a new ukulele would be a good way to celebrate the good news. -:). Enjoy both your good news as well as your Beau Hannam.

Thank you so much. It's amazing how news like that changes your perception of the future.

Jo3x
08-11-2018, 07:39 PM
I'm more interested in how you guys let the ukes go. For the fancier ukes, probably there are many ways and easier to let go. But what for those not fancier? I have an Oscar Schmidt OU5 which I barely play now, and I'd like to replace it with a better soprano, but don't know how to sell it. I own it for less one year.

hollisdwyer
08-11-2018, 07:49 PM
Wonderful to hear, Hollis! This is THE best news in this thread!

When I win the lotto will go straight to get a uke like this. Looked at his site. Mind. Blown. They're gorgeous! I know people can play well on all types of instruments, but this is a work of art.
Congrats on your better health and your next purchase. And yes, post a few more pictures.

Thanks Eddie & Captain J.

Here's a video of the BH for the Captain that really shows of the chatoyance:

https://www.facebook.com/BeauHannamGuitarsandUkuleles/videos/1495517747203600/

Ziret
08-11-2018, 08:04 PM
I'm more interested in how you guys let the ukes go. For the fancier ukes, probably there are many ways and easier to let go. But what for those not fancier? I have an Oscar Schmidt OU5 which I barely play now, and I'd like to replace it with a better soprano, but don't know how to sell it. I own it for less one year.

Try your local Facebook sales groups. I've sold several low-priced ukes that way.

Rakelele
08-11-2018, 08:49 PM
Interesting to see what everyone else here bought (and sold).

It has been the slowest year for me as well. All my uke purchases have had six strings:

- Pono UL steel string mini parlor guitar, custom made for me with a Cedar top, sunburst finish and a slotted headstock
- KoAloha Opio G6, all Acacia tenor sized Guitalele
- Jay Lichty Baby Bard, baritone sized Guitar with a Myrtle body and a Spruce top, slotted headstock

I've sold my entry Kala HA-C concert that started it all a decade ago.

I'm thinking of selling two ukes which isn't as easy living in a small country with little appreciation for fine ukes:
- Pono TE Thinbody Electric: I was curious about this, but I'm mostly playing unplugged in my room, so I have no need for amplification
- Pono MGTP Mango Pineapple Tenor: Again, I was cuirous about the special shape, but it sounds so much the same as my Pono AT, my Kanilea tenor and my Opio tenor that there is no point in keeping it

dkcrown
08-12-2018, 01:01 AM
For the first time since I started my ukulele journey, nothing has come in, and nothing has gone out. I am down to a select few, and am happy with what I have. Although I still could re-home one before the end of the year.

Hollis, as others have said before me, congratulations on you positive health news! And your new Beau!

hollisdwyer
08-12-2018, 02:02 AM

Hollis, as others have said before me, congratulations on you positive health news! And your new Beau!

Thanks Dana! It’s funny how the mind works ( or at least how my mind works), as the minute I knew I had a longer future than expected for the past year, I started thinking about a new major acquisition. I guess that is what you call a life affirming decision.

stevejfc
08-12-2018, 02:46 AM
I will just plead guilty on all counts...……..and I'm even more thankful that Hodge has imposed a one year statue of limitations.

Jerryc41
08-12-2018, 02:53 AM
I'm not going to list them because there are too many. I bought twenty-eight and sold sixteen. I find it hard to resist a uke once I take a liking to it. I find it even more difficult to sell any. My total is now forty-two with two more possibles in my future.

luv2uke
08-12-2018, 08:54 AM
Aloha Slackkey007,
Tried to send you a PM, but your box is full and not accepting any new messages.

captain-janeway
08-12-2018, 09:12 AM
Thanks Dana! It’s funny how the mind works ( or at least how my mind works), as the minute I knew I had a longer future than expected for the past year, I started thinking about a new major acquisition. I guess that is what you call a life affirming decision.

Do what you want. Life is short. Thanks for the vid on the BH. Gorgeous. If you ever get bored with it...

captain-janeway
08-12-2018, 09:14 AM
I'm not going to list them because there are too many. I bought twenty-eight and sold sixteen. I find it hard to resist a uke once I take a liking to it. I find it even more difficult to sell any. My total is now forty-two with two more possibles in my future.

Holy cow! I'm bad in my own way as I have 5 right now, and I don't even play well yet. Still trying to figure out best size. Can't do that in a two minute play around a shop

slackkey007
08-12-2018, 10:00 AM
Aloha Slackkey007,
Tried to send you a PM, but your box is full and not accepting any new messages.

Aloha luv2uke,

Received a message from the UU admin that my Inbox was full. I cleared it out and can now receive messages. I also PM'ed you.

Aloha,

Kimo
:shaka:

Lmlitz
08-12-2018, 01:00 PM
Well, I'm a total newby, and I just purchased my very first uke from Uke Republic. A Mainland classic mahogany (Concert). Very exited about starting my journey as a uke player having played the guitar for 15 years.

captain-janeway
08-12-2018, 02:23 PM
Well, I'm a total newby, and I just purchased my very first uke from Uke Republic. A Mainland classic mahogany (Concert). Very exited about starting my journey as a uke player having played the guitar for 15 years.

That's the main uke I'm learning on too. I really like the sound of it

Martinlover
08-12-2018, 03:28 PM
Waiting on a Pono Baritone and a Klos tenor. I think I got my Pono Tenor this year too. Tried a couple others but they didn’t stick. Ordered the Klos ‘cause the cool kids were getting them. I swore I would never buy a baritone because different chords. But that sound! Plus I had some store credit. And I figure if I learned so many GCEA chords then what’s to stop me from picking up DGBE chords. Here’s the link to the baritone https://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-pc-series-spruce-mahogany-baritone-sunburst-mbsh-s-sb-pc.html

Lmlitz
08-13-2018, 07:31 AM
I heard some people tune their baritones to GCEA so they don't have to learn new chords.

aremick
08-13-2018, 12:53 PM
What does "Let go" mean?

Doc_J
08-13-2018, 12:54 PM
What does "Let go" mean?

sold, given away, ...

ukuleleabe
08-13-2018, 02:18 PM
Just one new uke this year so far:

Pono Rosewood/Cedar baritone ukulele. The body is rosewood and it's absolutely stunning!

Snargle
08-13-2018, 02:18 PM
I purchased an Ohana SK-250M Super Soprano from Mim this spring at the Allegheny Ukulele Soiree but recently sold it since I just didn't connect with the soprano tone. I'm sticking with my concerts and tenors for the foreseeable future. It was a beautiful instrument, superb playability, but me and sopranos just don't get along.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/DPrwRtrvimp9RLrgPnO14BP0yN6VTpgreYvrOueDZd50cM2BDO ZiUq_cSzK66DVbgCnxi8gT9TmQsGDIAL2ebIOaDVQXDt3amiQ7 KBIBBcXNUZOFzO0zXySRpsnstS73fu4JEQL4ZDJyjG2C4B-E4bbAv_lynV_3m-Ll253HlnNV8rOHnsmm23Tn7QT8h2zBQrcRMxK0uZHwlmbuPrFs 4BuyaAiT1X9NwAtjYlv_U9l14vTe5NSLFjCIDRbV1fWi-kvykTfRHRkKcqXKQkTXuA7OypglY6vDphAWTuQdnxZieVbCh6_ hSWvSxWlO5jfshmze-IEnk3KlfxJEdgqJU_WgJ1YOz1u_1tvjieDE2nMhiqWkM2v5Fge opO9JdDhZpfq7VLXuVdn0kJD7Hg7lpCPO6yjL2THnGknMAGzha og-UtlwwrAjx_z8HFNGZ6bWBedNP9piGz1qNdL6teJ58481m52sYF Isz66QR_11-NrSM3NMEqe2Hu0kreKF0x8zRJpXXOc-KHgKN8aL0mVPiXbpuQhJZ8OBYkxVENyP-EuLZsTlbzEeTN1YJxkepHs-sVmBthsJsSEFjiA63wePCv6M2Rhk4ocxpUaf2bk=w303-h915-no

Ukulele Eddie
08-13-2018, 03:48 PM
I heard some people tune their baritones to GCEA so they don't have to learn new chords.

You may very well know this, but to avoid "scaring off" anyone who might be curious about baritone (I was once of those peeps), unless you are playing with others tuned C, you don't have to "learn new chords." If tuned to DGBE, the most common baritone tuning, you can play the same chord shapes as you would when tuned GCEA. You'd simply be playing the song five half steps lower (G <= Ab <= A <= Bb <= B <= C). You ARE playing different chords, but you don't need to learn what chords they are, per se.

By the same token, some of us tune some/many ukes in tunings other than C. For example, my tenors tend to be tuned Bb. I play the same finger positions as one would play in standard C. I'm just playing two half steps lower (Bb <= B <= C).

Any way, just trying to avoid spooking people from different tunings! ;-)

Lmlitz
08-14-2018, 04:05 AM
You may very well know this, but to avoid "scaring off" anyone who might be curious about baritone (I was once of those peeps), unless you are playing with others tuned C, you don't have to "learn new chords." If tuned to DGBE, the most common baritone tuning, you can play the same chord shapes as you would when tuned GCEA. You'd simply be playing the song five half steps lower (G <= Ab <= A <= Bb <= B <= C). You ARE playing different chords, but you don't need to learn what chords they are, per se.

By the same token, some of us tune some/many ukes in tunings other than C. For example, my tenors tend to be tuned Bb. I play the same finger positions as one would play in standard C. I'm just playing two half steps lower (Bb <= B <= C).

Any way, just trying to avoid spooking people from different tunings! ;-)

Yes, You made a good point! Sorry, I didn't mean to scare anyone away. I play guitar so a baritone would be very easy for me but for someone who has never played the guitar and is only a uke player (even a beginner) wouldn't really know that yet. I've watched a few youtube videos and some people have said they tuned their baritones to the tunings of a soprano, concert and tenor because its easier for them. But I do think it is good to learn other tunings! :)

captain-janeway
03-13-2019, 07:48 AM
A busy last few months.
Traded my solid cedar top tenor for the same model in concert.
Sent the Little Gem back because after a couple of days there was just something that didn't send me.
Built myself a couple of cookie tin ukes just because.
Built two banjo ukes, one soprano, one concert with 10" pots that play really well surprisingly. Given that, I'm trying to sell the Duke. I'm given up on the thought that my hands might stretch enough to play it. It's been sitting in a box for a year.
Kept my Mainland concert just because it sounds better in a jam than my low g Kala.
This should be enough for awhile lol.

glennerd
03-13-2019, 09:27 AM
Wow, I thought I had a crazy 2018, but I don't measure up to some of you!

Bought 6 ukes, returned 2 of them (OXK and Outdoor soprano) and sold 2 in 2019 (Ohana SK-39 & Ammoon thin soprano) so far, so net two 2018 ukes, but one is for sale.
Keeping the Cordoba 24B and selling the Ohana SK-21M

Sold a Cordoba 20CM I had for a couple of years but wasn't playing.

So far in 2019, I sold 3 ukes (including the two above and my original Kala KA-SLNG) and bought two (SK-38 & Ammoon stick uke). So, if my math is right I'm currently up one from 2017.

I'd like to slow down this year, but I'm not holding out hope ... still thinking about a pineapple sopranino and a thin body concert.

FinnP
03-13-2019, 10:45 AM
Anuenue World of Ukes Light Bird cedar Tenor. It’s wonderful :D

RafterGirl
03-13-2019, 11:23 AM
For 2018......
In - Gary Gill short neck tenor, Little Gem banjo uke, and aNueNue Moon Bird concert.
Out - Loprinzi concert (replaced with the Moon Bird), Little Gem (not a banjo uke person), Gary Gill (similar sound & tone to the Moon Bird).

In & immediately out - Kumu concert (thought it was satin finish, arrived in high gloss). No bueno.
On the way - KoAloha Opio long neck soprano

DownUpDave
03-13-2019, 11:35 AM
I guess I can revisit this thread once a year.

This is for 2018, 2019 has been quite.

*I purchased a Kimo super concert in sinker redwood and walnut
* A Fred Shields pineapple all walnut super soprano with radius fret board.
*A LfdM 19" super tenor in sinker cedar and myrtle.

I sold
*A Blackbird Farallon
*Godin Multiuke....wonderful instrument if you play amplified.
*Enya X1 "frypan" round bodied soprano.

So 3 in 3 out and all is good, I'm looking to sell a few more this year. Don't ask me about guitar acquisitions:o:o

kerneltime
03-13-2019, 12:04 PM
I guess I can revisit this thread once a year.
*I purchased a Kimo super concert in sinker redwood and walnut
* A Fred Shields pineapple all walnut super soprano with radius fret board.
*A LfdM 19" super tenor in sinker cedar and myrtle.

I sold
*A Blackbird Farallon
*Godin Multiuke....wonderful instrument if you play amplified.
*Enya X1 "frypan" round bodied soprano.

So 3 in 3 out and all is good, I'm looking to sell a few more this year. Don't ask me about guitar acquisitions:o:o
What's your opinion on sinker redwood vs sinker cedar vs spruce?

Swamp Yankee
03-13-2019, 12:34 PM
3 months into 2019 and so far I've bought a Kiwaya FS-1, a Kiwaya KTS-4K, a Kiwaya KTT-2K and a ca. 1947-55 Martin C-1 :rolleyes:

DownUpDave
03-13-2019, 12:47 PM
What's your opinion on sinker redwood vs sinker cedar vs spruce?

I like spruce a lot, own three tenors at the moment and have had others. Done right spruce can be sweet sounding and is loud and vibrant with great sustain. Redwood falls between spruce and cedar tonally, I presently own two redwood topped ukes. Cedar is another favourite and I would put it a close third. But that sinker cedar topped LfdM 19" is tied for #1 spot in my line up. It is tied with my spruce rosewood LfdM so there is that lineage going on.

I really don't know if "sinker" produces a better sounding top in redwood or cedar compared to nonsinker . I have asked a few luthiers and they don't think so, but being stable for 50-100 years can't hurt. As you know it comes down to the individual piece of wood and trusting the builder. The ones I have are great, especially the sinker cedar. Hope that helps.

Ukecaster
03-13-2019, 01:24 PM
Haven't tried any sinker top ukes, but would like to someday. The only sinker I've noticed has been my bank account, from UAS :D

Jerryc41
03-14-2019, 12:36 AM
Holy cow! I'm bad in my own way as I have 5 right now, and I don't even play well yet. Still trying to figure out best size. Can't do that in a two minute play around a shop

Unfortunately, after ordering the Peanut, my count is up to fifty-five. I'll have to start selling. : (

Swamp Yankee
03-14-2019, 01:15 AM
oops... I forgot to add a Kiwaya KTS-4 I bought in January. So, that's 5 so far :rolleyes:

Nothing yet sold in ukes, but I traded a guitar for the Kiwaya tenor.

Swamp Yankee
03-14-2019, 01:23 AM
ooops again... and a Cordoba 30T. also in January.
Holy cow! I'm doomed :/

Joyful Uke
03-14-2019, 05:45 AM
Got my Moon Bird in January 2019, thanks to a UU member and a UPS driver who braved the super icy conditions.

My 2nd purchase for 2019 is supposedly out for delivery today:
https://thebeatlesstore.com/collections/new-additions/products/yellow-submarine-blue-ukulele

The Beatles uke probably won't play well, but will be fun anyway. :-)

captain-janeway
03-14-2019, 06:09 AM
Unfortunately, after ordering the Peanut, my count is up to fifty-five. I'll have to start selling. : (

Thou art insane lol!

Rodney.
03-14-2019, 06:20 AM
Sold my Hora Baritone, only my Dolphin is left. The Dolphin was my first uke ever, after that first purchage I have owned 8 other ukes that I all sold of gave away.

penak
03-14-2019, 07:19 AM
Acquired
Fred Shields super soprano pineapple all walnut

Sold
Nonehttp://juragan.club/assets/6/o.png

glennerd
03-14-2019, 07:44 AM
Sold my Hora Baritone, only my Dolphin is left. The Dolphin was my first uke ever, after that first purchage I have owned 8 other ukes that I all sold of gave away.

I admire that. I read something similar on facebook last year that encouraged me to shrink my collection for a while. I need to get back to that mindset.

Ukecaster
03-14-2019, 07:49 AM
Downsizing in 2019, but you know...guys don't like to talk about shrinkage! :D

DownUpDave
03-14-2019, 09:37 AM
ooops again... and a Cordoba 30T. also in January.
Holy cow! I'm doomed :/

I LOVE IT:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Swamp Yankee
03-14-2019, 10:01 AM
I LOVE IT:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

I wish my wife did, too. :/
Oh well - I've got 4 ukes and a Taylor 12 string guitar up for sale now in various venues. Maybe that'll cheer her up ;)

Jerryc41
03-15-2019, 02:23 AM
Thou art insane lol!

I've heard that before. :(

kerneltime
03-15-2019, 02:37 AM
I've heard that before. :(
I am up at 5 playing Joy of Manís desiring on my recently acquired Kiwaya KTS 6 and Martin Style 3 cent..
It is not insane if you can derive pleasure and happiness while not causing any one harm and maybe entertaining a few.. I donít know of any other hobby that is as accessible and rewarding..

This year I have acquired a Kiwaya KTS 6 and a Chuck Moore tenor.
None sold, but Kiwaya might get sold soon as it very similar to 2 other ukes.