"Thinning the Herd" - Better Term?

Jerryc41

Reaction score
If there isn't a name for a group/collection/bunch of ukuleles, surely we can come up with one.

There is a herd of cattle, a flock of birds, a pride of lions. Let's find a good name for a bunch of ukuleles. I'll start it off with "strum."

"I have a strum of ukuleles in my closet."

Rasgueado of Ukuleles.

In my case, the collective noun for ukuleles is "excess".

John Colter

Let's find a good name for a bunch of ukuleles. I'll start it off with "strum."

"I have a strum of ukuleles in my closet."
I like that. I'll vote for a "strum" of ukuleles. If you are selling some of them would you say that you have plucked a few from the strum that you would like to sell?

Last edited:
When I started a thread like this years ago I was told to go look up the old threads. That put me off for a while. :eek:

Having said that, an ohana of ukes (thank you, janeray1940 for suggesting it). :)

Last edited:
A (gig)bag 'o ukes.

I like someone's "excess" above.

My favorite of any collection of things has always been a Murder of Crows

Personally, I’ve been using a term suggested by an Australian member in the thread I started: a spruik of ukes, or a uke spruik. As I understand it, and anyone who is more familiar with the term than I is certainly welcome to correct or expand upon this, “to spruik” is to talk something up with the intent of getting the listener to make a purchase. For those of us who periodically succumb to UAS, it fits nicely, if you don’t mind turning a verb into a noun.

Last edited:
Personally, I’ve been using a term suggested by an Australian member in the thread I started: a spruik of ukes, or a uke spruik. As I understand it, and anyone who is more familiar with the term than I is certainly welcome to correct or expand upon this, “to spruik” is to talk something up with the intent of getting the listener to make a purchase. For those of us who periodically succumb to UAS, it fits nicely, if you don’t mind turning a verb into a noun.

English flips usages all the time. To be disrespectful is now disrespecting someone. There's a similar one to that I'm drawing a blank on right now. Regardless, I like it.

I have always referred to it as my "stable" of ukes, giving respect to them as fine thoroughbreds.

But back in the Old West they would shoot a lame horse. Now a days we are all just a bunch of horse traders when one is not up to snuff.:p

I'm thinking some where between the gallery and the closet, as not all of them are on display.

Last edited:
My entries:

“A caboodle of ukuleles.”

“A medley of ukuleles.”

Respectfully submitted...

Scooter

I like Ohana...:shaka:

A ‘clutch’ of ukuleles?

Top Bottom