Martin IZ Commemorative Tenor #500

Status
Not open for further replies.

counsel1

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Martin used a particularly nice set of quilted mahogany on this uke, perhaps because it was #500. Excellent condition with the exception of an area on the bottom side where the satin finish has rubbed shiney.Martin IZ back close.jpgMartin IZ top2.jpg
More pictures to follow.
Asking $1250 shipped CUS with Martin case.IZ full front.jpgMartin IZ back.jpgIZ finish side.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, came us as invalid to me as well.

Yep invalid... easier to put them up on Google or something and link to it.

For some reason my initial 2 pictures posted as images and my subsequent post contained "attachments" instead.
You can see my pictures at Fleamarket music -
and I'm happy to email additional pictures directly upon request.
Thanks,
Howard Messinger
Carmel, CA

I looked at the pictures on FMM. That spot on the side actually looks like the finish has peeled off.

655D579E-0570-4CAE-A7F7-D608FDCD3FE4.jpg

Here’s a close up of the area:

ABC9BD8B-3875-456D-9113-B926FBDDD0DA.jpg

Scooter

Last edited:
Still a great deal on a beautiful ukulele!
Really nice mahogany quilt.
Ron

I looked at the pictures on FMM. That spot on the side actually looks like the finish has peeled off.

If that's the case, contact a Martin service center and they would probably fix it...

It looks more like a layer of veneer has come off. Odd. Martin says it's "genuine mahogany," but doesn't mention "solid."
https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/ukulele/1t-iz-tenor-uke/

Sweetwater says it a "solid quilted mahogany body."
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...S0b8PtdLBdWcCW_xkMvqOHFGhkYBwwLRoCgEEQAvD_BwE

Quilted mahogany can be very expensive.
https://alliedlutherie.com/collections/quilted-mahogany

Last edited:
It is solid quilted mahogany -- in real life the grain pattern doesn't vary, but the area appears "shiney." It is still under "finish" but there is some kind of outer layer of finish which is "satin" not gloss. The "satin" seems to have not adhered properly in this area. I have considered buffing out the entire instrument, as I believe it would be much more attractive with a gloss finish.
I will email pictures to interested parties in different light upon request.

It is solid quilted mahogany -- in real life the grain pattern doesn't vary, but the area appears "shiney." It is still under "finish" but there is some kind of outer layer of finish which is "satin" not gloss. The "satin" seems to have not adhered properly in this area. I have considered buffing out the entire instrument, as I believe it would be much more attractive with a gloss finish.
I will email pictures to interested parties in different light upon request.

You will find it easier to sell and get a better price if you have it repaired - by Martin. This is not just a run-of-the-mill uke. It is something special, and the appearance really matters.

Price reduced to $1200 for a quick sale. Great price on a beautiful, light, loud, resonant, made in USA collectible Martin with a unique serial #. Peghed geared tuners keep it light and classic looking .Includes original Martin case and case candy.

good price.
GLWTS

i have 3 of these, 2 of them are perfect. one i bought online without carefully checking (seller had poor quality photos, not sure if it were deliberate), and has similar defects. i haven't had a chance to contact Martin, but it looks like it is a manufacturing defect now....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom