Top and bridge plate thickness

Hummingbird

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I’m new to this forum. Ive never built a ukulele before. I’ve built 12 steel string guitars and now I’m starting on a run of 5 baritone ukuleles. These baritones have black walnut back and sides and white cedar tops. I’m going to use bridge pins.
My question is what is a good rule of thumb or starting point for top thickness for a softwood top. I’ve thinned the back to about .09”. I also would like to know a ballpark thickness of the hardwood bridge plate. I have the top thinned to about .07” at this point and it seems pretty this and floppy. I’m worried about sanding through while scraping the glue from the bindings and purfling. I’ll post pictures later. Thanks.

I wouldn't thin that top any more. You are on the thin edge of trouble at .o7. I would suggest .08 for a cedar top.
Hello everybody. I’m new to this forum. Ive never built a ukulele before. I’ve built 12 steel string guitars and now I’m starting on a run of 5 baritone ukuleles. These baritones have black walnut back and sides and white cedar tops. I’m going to use bridge pins.
My question is what is a good rule of thumb or starting point for top thickness for a softwood top. I’ve thinned the back to about .09”. I also would like to know a ballpark thickness of the hardwood bridge plate. I have the top thinned to about .07” at this point and it seems pretty this and floppy. I’m worried about sanding through while scraping the glue from the bindings and purfling. I’ll post pictures later. Thanks.

Top Bottom